Cristina Lo Bianco  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 14:20
Member (2008)
English to Italian
+ ...
Jan 5, 2017

Hi everybody,

I have to renew my ProZ membership and I can't decide between standard and plus package.
I've just spent a considerable time searching Proz forums but I couldn't find a specific post, so I decided to open a new one.

For those who already opted for the plus package: are you happy with it so far?
For those who sticked to the standard package: what was your main reason?

Thanks a lot and a very happy new year to all of you!
Crist
... See more
Hi everybody,

I have to renew my ProZ membership and I can't decide between standard and plus package.
I've just spent a considerable time searching Proz forums but I couldn't find a specific post, so I decided to open a new one.

For those who already opted for the plus package: are you happy with it so far?
For those who sticked to the standard package: what was your main reason?

Thanks a lot and a very happy new year to all of you!
Cristina

[Edited at 2017-01-05 11:46 GMT]
Collapse

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
Standard for me Jan 5, 2017

I've stuck with standard because not one of the features of the Plus package would benefit me, and I'd be very surprised if many people feel differently.

(I'm not entirely sure that membership of any kind will benefit me, for that matter. Fingers crossed, though, a half-decent customer might come along at some point.)

Elodie Bonnafous

Maija Cirule
Maija Cirule  Identity Verified
Latvia
Local time: 15:20
German to English
+ ...
For me Jan 8, 2017

Chris S wrote:

I've stuck with standard because not one of the features of the Plus package would benefit me, and I'd be very surprised if many people feel differently.

(I'm not entirely sure that membership of any kind will benefit me, for that matter. Fingers crossed, though, a half-decent customer might come along at some point.)

the Plus package is of no use at all but, of course, it's just my 2 cents. On the other hand, I highly appreciate proZ's invoicing tool and the possibility of acquiring some new clients who visit my proZ profile as well as technical support from colleagues. In short, standard membership package is worth every penny.

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
@Cristina Jan 8, 2017

Cristina Lo Bianco wrote:

At this time, the Plus package doesn't get you a lot:
* Free access to these paid videos. Not all paid videos on ProZ.com are included in the free bundle, however.
* If you have your own web site, there are some ProZ.com related widgets you can add.
* You can give clients better ability to phone you directly, if they use a mobile device.
* Ability to give more detailled Blue Board ratings.

ph-b (X)
ph-b (X)
France
English to French
+ ...
Won't renew my 'Plus' membership Jan 9, 2017

I got it for USD79.00. I think it was some sort of 'Early Bird' offer : ProZ.com used what was left of my existing membership as a discount and at that price, I thought I'd try the 'Plus' package.

Previous participants in this thread have mentioned some of the 'benefits' you get, none of which are any use to me. I also got a third CAT tool, although I already have two, one of which I don't use. So it's two I won't be using now.

I also got spammed by TM-Town, which I'd n
... See more
I got it for USD79.00. I think it was some sort of 'Early Bird' offer : ProZ.com used what was left of my existing membership as a discount and at that price, I thought I'd try the 'Plus' package.

Previous participants in this thread have mentioned some of the 'benefits' you get, none of which are any use to me. I also got a third CAT tool, although I already have two, one of which I don't use. So it's two I won't be using now.

I also got spammed by TM-Town, which I'd never contacted to the best of my knowledge. To be fair to them, they apologized.

All this to say that as things stand today, I won't renew my 'Plus' membership.
Collapse

Maija Cirule
Latvia
German to English
+ ...
Same here Jan 9, 2017

ph-b wrote:

I also got spammed by TM-Town, which I'd never contacted to the best of my knowledge. To be fair to them, they apologized.

All this to say that as things stand today, I won't renew my 'Plus' membership.

I have been spammed by TM-Town too and without any apologies to boot; I have no time and no desire to watch videos; I use MemoQ and do not want to try any other CAT tool, I have no personal website, I do not disclose my phone number to clients, etc. Seems that the Plus package is designed for newbees. No offense meant, simply the naked truth as I see it. My bad, of course, I should know better than to buy a pig in a poke.
Happy 2017!

[Edited at 2017-01-09 11:52 GMT]

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Spammed Jan 9, 2017

ph-b wrote:

Maija Cirule wrote:
I have been spammed by TM-Town too and without any apologies to boot...

What do you guys mean by "spammed"? After buying the Plus membership, I received a single e-mail from TM Town telling me that my membership was upgraded to "Professional". I suppose if you weren't a member of TM Town at the time that you got the Plus membership, the e-mail(s) would have said something different. How many e-mails did you get from them, in total (not including e-mails that were replies to e-mails that you wrote)?

Maija Cirule
Latvia
German to English
+ ...
I am not a member of TM-town Jan 9, 2017

Samuel Murray wrote:

ph-b wrote:

Maija Cirule wrote:
I have been spammed by TM-Town too and without any apologies to boot...

What do you guys mean by "spammed"? After buying the Plus membership, I received a single e-mail from TM Town telling me that my membership was upgraded to "Professional". I suppose if you weren't a member of TM Town at the time that you got the Plus membership, the e-mail(s) would have said something different. How many e-mails did you get from them, in total (not including e-mails that were replies to e-mails that you wrote)?

the first e-mail I received shortly after bying the Plus package. I do not remember the contents of this mail but I clearly remember the idea of my reply: please leave me alone, I don't need your "services". A couple of days ago, I received a new message inviting me "to educate my clients" or something along these lines. I suppressed my first impulse to reply with a big fat "F" word and marked the sender as junk.

[Edited at 2017-01-09 12:31 GMT]

ph-b (X)
ph-b (X)
France
English to French
+ ...
TM-Town Spam Jan 9, 2017

Samuel Murray wrote:

What do you guys mean by "spammed"? (...) How many e-mails did you get from them, in total (not including e-mails that were replies to e-mails that you wrote)?

I received two unrequested emails (and an answer to each of both my e-mailed grunts). That's two too many. That's spam. Sorry if I sound a bit old school.

Edited to add that TM-Town messages now go straight into my spam box.

[Edited at 2017-01-09 12:21 GMT]

Lingua 5B
Lingua 5B  Identity Verified
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Member (2009)
English to Croatian
+ ...
Standard is OK/enough. Jan 9, 2017

I have no experience with the plus package. For now the standard is OK. Most of my clients do not come from ProZ anyway.

Sheila Wilson
Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 13:20
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
Make-or-break year for me Jan 9, 2017

I upgraded at the special rate. I was hoping for much more in the way of better clients being directed towards me - not more, but better. I don't see that happening yet but maybe there are things in the pipeline. It does seem at the moment that everything is being done for the benefit of the outsourcers, which is odd as I'm the one paying. But I do like the extra categories for the Blue Board. If only everyone, including registered users, were allowed to see the BB then that would be a greater a... See more
I upgraded at the special rate. I was hoping for much more in the way of better clients being directed towards me - not more, but better. I don't see that happening yet but maybe there are things in the pipeline. It does seem at the moment that everything is being done for the benefit of the outsourcers, which is odd as I'm the one paying. But I do like the extra categories for the Blue Board. If only everyone, including registered users, were allowed to see the BB then that would be a greater advantage. I think non-paying users should have to pay something for their access but I think that withdrawing the BB from translators who don't subscribe was a really bad move. How can they avoid the sharks?Collapse

Lingua 5B
Lingua 5B  Identity Verified
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Member (2009)
English to Croatian
+ ...
Also, another point. Jan 9, 2017

I saw a report that said something along the lines "XY number of translators signed up for Plus Package" (XY IMO was a very huge number), which immediately made me think of a large number of plus package translators competing for whatever it's offered there by bringing their rates down. So you have to be paying more to end up at the same level of competitiveness and low rates offered everywhere and by everyone? Don't I already have this with the standard package?

Maija Cirule
Latvia
German to English
+ ...
Some three years ago Jan 9, 2017

I withdrew myself from Latvian translation services market with its miserable rates and greedy bosses. ProZ helped me to find several excellent clients in UK, Germany, and USA. Some clients came from LinkedIn and no clients came from Translatorscafe, so I swear by proZ standard package but feel rather sceptical about the new offer of Facebook group that should help to find direct clients. In my book, Facebook is the same as Plenty of Fish and other dating apps and I am not sure if a serious dire... See more
I withdrew myself from Latvian translation services market with its miserable rates and greedy bosses. ProZ helped me to find several excellent clients in UK, Germany, and USA. Some clients came from LinkedIn and no clients came from Translatorscafe, so I swear by proZ standard package but feel rather sceptical about the new offer of Facebook group that should help to find direct clients. In my book, Facebook is the same as Plenty of Fish and other dating apps and I am not sure if a serious direct client would try to find a serious translator on Facebook. Of course, I may be wrong...

[Edited at 2017-01-09 18:39 GMT]

[Редактировалось 2017-01-10 11:45 GMT]
Collapse

Post removed: This post was hidden by a moderator or staff member for the following reason: Poster removed content.
Cristina Lo Bianco
Cristina Lo Bianco  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2008)
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
About the BB extra categories Jan 9, 2017

Sheila Wilson wrote:
I think that withdrawing the BB from translators who don't subscribe was a really bad move. How can they avoid the sharks?

And also: how can they give their input? I guess that, since standard members can't see the new BB categories they also can't contribute. Doesn't this make it worse also for the plus package buyers?

Anyway, I would like to thank you all for sharing. Finally I went for the standard package, the plus package doesn't seem to be worth the cost difference.

Cheers,
Cristina

Edited twice for typos due to stupid(smart)phone.

[Edited at 2017-01-09 13:53 GMT]

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Proz Membership: standard vs plus package

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »