Installation of Trados on two computers on a single license.
Thread poster: Rajan Chopra
Rajan Chopra
Rajan Chopra
India
Local time: 10:00
Member (2008)
English to Hindi
+ ...
Mar 20, 2009

I have Trados version 7.0. I am required to work from two places. I have been
told I don't need to purchase two licenses and the owner of one license can
install the Trados on another computer as well but he will have to work on one
computer at a time.

I have already successfully installed Trados on one computer. When I tried to
install it on the second computer after downloading the software and inserting
the activation ID, there was a message, which r
... See more
I have Trados version 7.0. I am required to work from two places. I have been
told I don't need to purchase two licenses and the owner of one license can
install the Trados on another computer as well but he will have to work on one
computer at a time.

I have already successfully installed Trados on one computer. When I tried to
install it on the second computer after downloading the software and inserting
the activation ID, there was a message, which read:

The activation of the fulfilment is denied by the activation policy because max
acts exceeded #4218-281749 (Error Code 50040).

Could you please tell me what is wrong and what should I do to solve the
problem?
Collapse

Laurent KRAULAND (X)
Laurent KRAULAND (X)  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 06:30
French to German
+ ...
Strict license policy!? Mar 20, 2009

I don't know who told you about the license thing, but I know that SDL Trados' policy on licenses is akin to the one of Microsoft: one computer, one license.

AFAIK, it is always possible to uninstall the license (and the sofware of course) from computer A and to install it on computer B, but that's the end of it... or I need more information from the software editor.

Laurent K.

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
You can install in 100 computers, but... Mar 20, 2009

...every time you change computers, you have to return the license to Trados' website and get it again from the new machine. Quite a cumbersome process really... Unfortunatelly, if you want to use Trados on two machines, you need to purchase two licenses. (As far as I am aware of course).

Jaroslaw Michalak
Jaroslaw Michalak  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2004)
English to Polish
SITE LOCALIZER
Returning the license etc. Mar 20, 2009

As stated above, you may install the software on two (several) computers and use one license on one of them at a particular time.

The procedure is not that difficult when you get used to it: use License Manager application on one computer, "return" the license and then "activate" it on another computer. Takes about two minutes, really.

Buck
Buck
Netherlands
Dutch to English
You can use one license on two computers Mar 21, 2009

Hi. I have Trados installed on my desktop, and recently decided to install it on my laptop, as my desktop was being difficult. I simply went to the Trados site and downloaded the program onto my laptop. The only thing I had to do to activate it was enter the code I received to activate it the first time. Trados now works on both my computers. I seem to remember there being a restriction entailing that you can only use the license on ONE computer at a time. In other words, you couldn't be using i... See more
Hi. I have Trados installed on my desktop, and recently decided to install it on my laptop, as my desktop was being difficult. I simply went to the Trados site and downloaded the program onto my laptop. The only thing I had to do to activate it was enter the code I received to activate it the first time. Trados now works on both my computers. I seem to remember there being a restriction entailing that you can only use the license on ONE computer at a time. In other words, you couldn't be using it on the one computer while someone is using the same license on another computer.Collapse

Rajan Chopra
Rajan Chopra
India
Member (2008)
English to Hindi
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Yes, this is what some people... Mar 21, 2009

are telling me that I can install and use Trados on two PCs with a single license but I should work on one computer at a time. But despite this provision, I am having the problem and unable to install and use it on the second computer. That is why, I have posted the matter on this forum to seek help. It is interesting that some users are saying that it can't be installed on two computers and some are saying that it can be done.

I look forward to the opinions and suggestions of oth
... See more
are telling me that I can install and use Trados on two PCs with a single license but I should work on one computer at a time. But despite this provision, I am having the problem and unable to install and use it on the second computer. That is why, I have posted the matter on this forum to seek help. It is interesting that some users are saying that it can't be installed on two computers and some are saying that it can be done.

I look forward to the opinions and suggestions of other users.

Chopra

Buck wrote:

Hi. I have Trados installed on my desktop, and recently decided to install it on my laptop, as my desktop was being difficult. I simply went to the Trados site and downloaded the program onto my laptop. The only thing I had to do to activate it was enter the code I received to activate it the first time. Trados now works on both my computers. I seem to remember there being a restriction entailing that you can only use the license on ONE computer at a time. In other words, you couldn't be using it on the one computer while someone is using the same license on another computer.
Collapse

LuciaC
LuciaC
United Kingdom
Local time: 05:30
English to Italian
+ ...
more info Mar 21, 2009

More info here.

... See more
More info here.

http://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/109589-trados_installation_on_desktop_and_laptop_is_this_possible.html

http://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/87101-trados_is_installed_on_2_pcs_what_if_one_of_them_needs_replacing.html#705305

Try contacting them.
http://www.translationzone.com/en/contact/

On the right hand side you also have 'Live Help'

[Edited at 2009-03-21 18:04 GMT]
Collapse

Rajan Chopra
Rajan Chopra
India
Member (2008)
English to Hindi
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks so much for the links Mar 22, 2009

I'll explore them to sort it out.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Installation of Trados on two computers on a single license.

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »