https://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/179618-preview_function_in_studio_ms_office_2010.html?

"preview" function in Studio / MS Office 2010
Thread poster: Aude Sylvain
Aude Sylvain
Aude Sylvain  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 05:56
English to French
+ ...
Sep 6, 2010

Hello,

I am working with Studio and cannot access the preview function while I am translating. I have MS Office 2010, and - according to the error message I get - this function seems to be designed for Office 2007.

Is there any way to activate this feature while running Office 2010 ?

Many thanks in advance,

A.

Jerzy Czopik
Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
I'm afraid not at the time being Sep 6, 2010

At least not with SP2.
Maybe the coming SP3 will resolve that, but nevertheless having Office 2007 on your computer could be helpful.

Aude Sylvain
France
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Sep 6, 2010

Thanks Jerzy.

Unfortunately you confirm my understanding!

I just bought my very first computer equipped with Windows (was working exclusively on Macs up to date), and I only had the trial version of Office 2007, which expired.

Honestly I wouldn't be that happy to buy Office 2007 only for this preview feature.

It's a pity Studio does not handle Office 2010 (while I'm using Trados 2007 with Office 2010 with no problem!).
Let's hope SP
... See more
Thanks Jerzy.

Unfortunately you confirm my understanding!

I just bought my very first computer equipped with Windows (was working exclusively on Macs up to date), and I only had the trial version of Office 2007, which expired.

Honestly I wouldn't be that happy to buy Office 2007 only for this preview feature.

It's a pity Studio does not handle Office 2010 (while I'm using Trados 2007 with Office 2010 with no problem!).
Let's hope SP3 is released soon...

Thank you for your reply.
Collapse

Walter Blaser
Walter Blaser  Identity Verified
Switzerland
French to German
+ ...
Real time preview with Word 2010 works fine with Studio SP2 Sep 7, 2010

Aude

Can you tell me what error message you get because I do use the real-time preview with Word 2010 on my machine.

On the other hand, the release of SP3, which will officially support this, is imminent.

Walter

Aude Sylvain
France
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
error message Sep 7, 2010

Hello Walter,

When I click on "generate preview" in the relevant window, a message "no preview available, click here for help troubleshooting this error" appears in the Preview window, and then, when I click the link, a popup window:
"The Word document cannot be previewed, please see the error details for more information.
Please note you will need Word 2003 or 2007 installed to preview .doc files and Word 2007 installed to preview .docx files
".

I
... See more
Hello Walter,

When I click on "generate preview" in the relevant window, a message "no preview available, click here for help troubleshooting this error" appears in the Preview window, and then, when I click the link, a popup window:
"The Word document cannot be previewed, please see the error details for more information.
Please note you will need Word 2003 or 2007 installed to preview .doc files and Word 2007 installed to preview .docx files
".

I registered the overall error description, I'm not sure though to which extent it is safe to put it on the internet.
I can send it to you via MP if you think it would help.

If this information can be helpful, my OS is Windows 7.

Thank you very much!
Collapse

Aude Sylvain
France
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Hello Walter, Oct 8, 2010

I just learnt thanks to a Canadian colleague that Office 2010's "click-to-run" version (which I run) can create issues with other software.
http://www.proz.com/forum/french/182435-office_2010_version_complète_:_problème_résolu.html
E.g. she had to shift to a so-called full edition of Office 2010 in order to be able to install
... See more
I just learnt thanks to a Canadian colleague that Office 2010's "click-to-run" version (which I run) can create issues with other software.
http://www.proz.com/forum/french/182435-office_2010_version_complète_:_problème_résolu.html
E.g. she had to shift to a so-called full edition of Office 2010 in order to be able to install and use Antidote.

Microsoft's explanations are here: http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/excel-help/click-to-run-switch-to-using-a-full-office-edition-HA101850538.aspx

Could you kindly confirm what edition of Office 2010 you are running (which allows you to use the real-time preview feature of Studio)? Click-to-Run or MSI-based?

Thank you!

[Edited at 2010-10-08 18:37 GMT]
Collapse

Jerzy Czopik
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Did you install the o2010PIA? Oct 8, 2010

Recently I answered several queries to Office 2010 and Studio.
All could be solved by installing Primary Interop Assembly from MS: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/details.aspx?FamilyID=938fe8ad-583b-4bd7-a345-23250dc15855

Aude Sylvain
France
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
yes, but no change! Oct 8, 2010

Jerzy Czopik wrote:

Recently I answered several queries to Office 2010 and Studio.
All could be solved by installing Primary Interop Assembly from MS: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/details.aspx?FamilyID=938fe8ad-583b-4bd7-a345-23250dc15855

Hi Jerzy,

Yes I did, I replied to your post yesterday. Unfortunately it didn't change anything. That's why I'm trying to see what else could be wrong in my configuration.

Jerzy Czopik
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Following MS advice does not help? Oct 8, 2010

Thank you - I was not really aware it was you I answered here yesterday.
There were someone else also complaining about missing O2010 funcionality in Studio, but after installing o2010PIA.msi the problem was resolved.
You quoted the MS information - did you follow their recommendation?

Aude Sylvain
France
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
finally it works! One must use Office2010's full edition (MSI-based), not the "click-to-run" edition Oct 8, 2010

Thank you Jerzy, no worries I know you are helping a lot of people!

Yes I followed MS's instructions when installing MS's Primary Interop Assembly item but it didn't solve my pb with Studio's real time preview feature.

Finally I found a solution, by installing Office 2010's "full edition" (MSI-based), as opposed to the "click-to-run" edition MS presents as standard when one purchase Office online.
With that full edition, in 32 or 64 bits, Studio's real time prev
... See more
Thank you Jerzy, no worries I know you are helping a lot of people!

Yes I followed MS's instructions when installing MS's Primary Interop Assembly item but it didn't solve my pb with Studio's real time preview feature.

Finally I found a solution, by installing Office 2010's "full edition" (MSI-based), as opposed to the "click-to-run" edition MS presents as standard when one purchase Office online.
With that full edition, in 32 or 64 bits, Studio's real time preview function works perfectly. Trados 2007 and WF Classic, however, would work only with Office 2010 32 bits (macro pb with the 64 bits version).

The explanations re the installation of this edition of Office 2010 can be found at http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/excel-help/click-to-run-switch-to-using-a-full-office-edition-HA101850538.aspx

I have no idea whether the "o2010PIA.msi" file plays a role in my now current configuration, but I keep it in case it does!

Many many thanks Jerzy for your kind support.
Collapse

Walter Blaser
Switzerland
French to German
+ ...
I use the "normal" full version Oct 9, 2010

Aude Sylvain wrote:

Could you kindly confirm what edition of Office 2010 you are running (which allows you to use the real-time preview feature of Studio)? Click-to-Run or MSI-based?

Thank you!

[Edited at 2010-10-08 18:37 GMT]

I use the full version. In fact, it is only since your post that I know now that there is also a so-called "Click-to-Run" version of Office.

Walter

Aude Sylvain
France
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
- Oct 9, 2010

Thanks Walter,

I assume it's better not to be aware of this click-to-run edition! This is the one MS presents as the "normal" one when downloading the software from their website.

Walter Blaser
Switzerland
French to German
+ ...
"Normal" for a "downloadable" version! Oct 10, 2010

It is the first time I hear that you can download an entire Office suite from the Internet.
Previously, this was not possible, you always had to buy the "boxed" version.

I found this on this new delivery method:

http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/products/what-is-click-to-run-HA101868855.aspx?CTT=1

as well
... See more
It is the first time I hear that you can download an entire Office suite from the Internet.
Previously, this was not possible, you always had to buy the "boxed" version.

I found this on this new delivery method:

http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/products/what-is-click-to-run-HA101868855.aspx?CTT=1

as well as this document, which lists some problems that may arise, such as add-ins that do not work:

http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/excel-help/click-to-run-known-issues-HA101850565.aspx?CTT=1

Please also note that this only applies to the versions "Office Home and Student 2010", "Office Home and Business 2010" and "Starter".

Walter
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

"preview" function in Studio / MS Office 2010

Translation news related to SDL Trados

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »