SDL Studio 2009: How to close Translation Results window?
Thread poster: carl01
carl01
carl01
German to English
Jan 6, 2011

Hello,

No matter how many times I close it, a Translation Results window pops up every time I move on to the next sentence. Is there a way to close it and keep it closed? I've tried going through the Views menu and so on, but nothing has fixed it so far.

Thank you!

Jerzy Czopik
Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 01:32
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
For what reason and in which view? Jan 6, 2011

Why do you want to close this window? In which view are you - translation or review?

Emma Goldsmith
Emma Goldsmith  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2004)
Spanish to English
How to close the window Jan 6, 2011

I can't imagine why you want to close the translation results window. Most people need to see it.

But if you want to, go to the top right hand corner of that window and click on the arrow that gives you "close, floating or hide". Either close or hide would work for you.

These windows can all be resized and moved around to adapt to your needs. For instance, I have the Termbase Viewer at the very bottom of my screen and its on autohide, so it only pops up when I mouse ov
... See more
I can't imagine why you want to close the translation results window. Most people need to see it.

But if you want to, go to the top right hand corner of that window and click on the arrow that gives you "close, floating or hide". Either close or hide would work for you.

These windows can all be resized and moved around to adapt to your needs. For instance, I have the Termbase Viewer at the very bottom of my screen and its on autohide, so it only pops up when I mouse over it.

Experiment with all the possibilities. If things get out of hand, you can always reset the windows to their default position by going to View>Reset Window Layout.
HTH
Collapse

carl01
carl01
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
Problem solved Jan 6, 2011

Thanks Emma - the 'Reset Window Layout' option worked.

Yes it's useful to see the window, but I couldn't stop it popping out by itself before.

Anyway thank you for taking the trouble to reply!

Impossible to close the translation results window definitively Nov 21, 2011

I've been battling this pernicious, unwanted little window for years and nothing has worked to stop it from coming back. Reset window layout, click Close under the Menu, use the Auto Hide option, no matter what I do, when I click on the next target segment, there it is, popping out before autohiding itself again. It's really annoying and there are many reasons why I may not want to see the translation results, starting from the fact that I can see them already in my target cell.

So
... See more
I've been battling this pernicious, unwanted little window for years and nothing has worked to stop it from coming back. Reset window layout, click Close under the Menu, use the Auto Hide option, no matter what I do, when I click on the next target segment, there it is, popping out before autohiding itself again. It's really annoying and there are many reasons why I may not want to see the translation results, starting from the fact that I can see them already in my target cell.

So if anyone else has managed to find a real, lasting solution, please do not hesitate to share it!

Collapse

Jerzy Czopik
Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Just close it Nov 21, 2011

press the X on the right top corner - it will go away. But there will be still the Comments, Messages and Concordance window there. Do you really want to close it?
Can you please tell why? Do you never consider using a different translation from TM than the first one shown? Sometimes the 2nd or 3rd or whichever might be better...
If you need to close it because you're doing a review, open the file in review mode or in sign-off mode. This changes tha layout of Studio window.

Dominic D.
Dominic D.
Serbian to Russian
+ ...
Well... Jan 18, 2015

I'm obviously digging out an ancient topic here, but I too find the issue rather annoying. I myself would love the window to simply disappear for good for one single reason - I like to work on TV from my sofa, and so I appreciate every extra screen space for editing. In entirely new documents (usually contracts) where the TM function is not useful at all, the Results window is just an irritating waste of space.

It boggles me whether the constantly reappearing window with each new se
... See more
I'm obviously digging out an ancient topic here, but I too find the issue rather annoying. I myself would love the window to simply disappear for good for one single reason - I like to work on TV from my sofa, and so I appreciate every extra screen space for editing. In entirely new documents (usually contracts) where the TM function is not useful at all, the Results window is just an irritating waste of space.

It boggles me whether the constantly reappearing window with each new segment was intended to behave that way, or is it a bug. Either way, it's a stupid flaw lowering the software's functionality.
Collapse

Walter Blaser
Walter Blaser  Identity Verified
Switzerland
French to German
+ ...
It's not a bug but an "essential feature" Jan 18, 2015

Ekhangel wrote:

It boggles me whether the constantly reappearing window with each new segment was intended to behave that way, or is it a bug. Either way, it's a stupid flaw lowering the software's functionality.

The "Translation Results" window is displayed by default because it is essential for most translators when they translate in the Editor. What do you mean by "popping up"? The windows should not "pop up", it should simply stay in the same place and show the suggestions from the TM for the current segment. Like this, I don't understand why it should be irritating.

Did you try to reset the window layout? Do you still find the default behavior irritating?

If this window would not be displayed anymore, we would have thousands of users complaining, so I am still interested to understand why you find this window useless:-)

Walter

Dominic D.
Dominic D.
Serbian to Russian
+ ...
Looks like a bug May 29, 2017

Walter,

If you set it to auto-hide, it pops up for each new segment.

Yes, the window comes in handy (to say the least) in files being part of an existing project, or ones with numerous repetitions, but otherwise it is pretty much useless. Either way, an option is an option - why would the designers include the "Close" option if it never was supposed to do anything useful? To me the issue definitely looks like a bug.

Also, resetting window layout doesn't wo
... See more
Walter,

If you set it to auto-hide, it pops up for each new segment.

Yes, the window comes in handy (to say the least) in files being part of an existing project, or ones with numerous repetitions, but otherwise it is pretty much useless. Either way, an option is an option - why would the designers include the "Close" option if it never was supposed to do anything useful? To me the issue definitely looks like a bug.

Also, resetting window layout doesn't work either here.

The only workaround is to move the window to the edge of your screen, which itself takes a bit of hassle, since it likes to "bounce back" from there.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

SDL Studio 2009: How to close Translation Results window?

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »