On the necessity of Windows in Mac OS X.
Thread poster: Mikael Müller
Mikael Müller
Mikael Müller
Local time: 12:14
German to Swedish
+ ...
Mar 19, 2008

I have been running Win XP in Parallels on my Macbook dual 2,0 ghz, 2 gb (upgraded) ram for about a year, mostly in the "Coherence" mode.
It has been working out pretty smoothly, even if I hate being forced to run Windows when I have a mac. I guess I will have to obey to the almighty SDL World Takeover (together with MS Office) until some kind coder finally creates a universal platform with the same grade of usage as Trados has (but I am at the moment looking at different kinds of CAT too
... See more
I have been running Win XP in Parallels on my Macbook dual 2,0 ghz, 2 gb (upgraded) ram for about a year, mostly in the "Coherence" mode.
It has been working out pretty smoothly, even if I hate being forced to run Windows when I have a mac. I guess I will have to obey to the almighty SDL World Takeover (together with MS Office) until some kind coder finally creates a universal platform with the same grade of usage as Trados has (but I am at the moment looking at different kinds of CAT tools for mac).
There have been some problems I have stumbled upon, though.
Big Word files (50-100 mb, containing pictures etc.) tend to make the computer cough a bit more than it should have to do (as it after all isn't a native OS). This problem kind of disappeared with the 3,0 version of Parallels.
Some Clean-up processes in Trados tend to make the system very very slow too, but on the whole it has been going good.

Some time ago I installed the VMWare Fusion system and a downloaded "Windows XP Lite" version (afterall, I have an XP license!) to see if this minimized the loss of having a none-native OS running, and it definitely did. As I did two upgrades (or downgrades!) at the same time, I cannot tell which of them is the big gainer, but I should think it is the "Lite" version of XP. This is simply a stripped down Windows XP, nothing fancy pancy, just the plain shell without animations and other extras.
Other than that, the (many t:s!) VMWare system works very much like Parallels. One big difference is that it does not work perfectly well with "Spaces", the multi-desk function in Mac OS X Leopard, which is actually fully supported by Parallels. And also I tend to use the Full Screen mode, instead of the Unity mode (Coherence in Parallels), because of the Alt+tab-functions between the OS:es applications (ie between MSN (Adium) client in Mac OS X and for example Tageditor in Windows).

I will soon try to install Windows XP Lite on Parallels, but right now the work flow is a bit heavy, so I have no time for this.

I have discovered everything I have needed to know about running translation in Trados on my mac by myself, but now I am looking for ways to get rid of the need for Windows and Word (I actually like Trados quite a lot). As I have seen on other places on the forum, there are no ways Trados will ever work in another OS, as even the scripting is done in an old Windows-"language" (.NET).

This is what I know.

Please submit anything helpful on anything related. Or just say Hi!
Collapse

Johnny Speiermann
Johnny Speiermann
Denmark
Local time: 12:14
English to Danish
+ ...
Hi! Apr 3, 2008

I was considering this setup myself as I am working on an iMac.

I don't really mind using Windows, and most tools used in software localization is Windows tools, so I won't be able to avoid it.

I do prefer the Mac though for iPhoto and Aperture, and I would rather be using the Mac for mails instead of Outlook.

I don't really understand why Trados was never developed to also run on a Mac, but as the new Office for Mac does not contain VBA this will most like
... See more
I was considering this setup myself as I am working on an iMac.

I don't really mind using Windows, and most tools used in software localization is Windows tools, so I won't be able to avoid it.

I do prefer the Mac though for iPhoto and Aperture, and I would rather be using the Mac for mails instead of Outlook.

I don't really understand why Trados was never developed to also run on a Mac, but as the new Office for Mac does not contain VBA this will most likely never happen.

So currently I run base camp to be able to run Windows natively as this gives the best speed.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

On the necessity of Windows in Mac OS X.

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »