Which anti-virus software do you use with Leopard?
Thread poster: Han Li
Han Li
Han Li  Identity Verified
China
Local time: 04:14
English to Chinese
+ ...
May 13, 2008

Dear colleagues,
I just have got an Intel MAC with Leopard. It's a very interesting OS, I am very love it. I want to know if I need run an antivirus software with Leopard? Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Regards,
Han Li

[Edited at 2008-05-13 05:38]

Fernando Toledo
Fernando Toledo  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 22:14
German to Spanish
No, no need May 13, 2008

Anti-Virus? for what?

Well, if you need to install Windows (with VMware or Parallels), maybe. I don't have anyone.

Regards

Fernando
www.lenguatik.com

[Edited at 2008-05-13 10:04]

Mulyadi Subali
Mulyadi Subali  Identity Verified
Indonesia
Local time: 03:14
English to Indonesian
+ ...
clamxav May 13, 2008

i use clamxav, a freeware based on open source clamav. http://www.clamxav.com/

Han Li
China
English to Chinese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks …… May 15, 2008

Thanks, Mulyadi and Fernando. I just not sure Leopard is safe enough if I don't run any antivirus software. In personal, I don't want to run it. But I have downloaded the clamxav in my computer, I will run it if I need in future.
@Fernando
Your website looks very good. Do you design it with iWeb? My website is designed by myself with Microsoft Expression Web in Windows. It seems a little roughness.

Regards,
Han Liwww.dtptranslate.com

Mulyadi Subali
Mulyadi Subali  Identity Verified
Indonesia
Local time: 03:14
English to Indonesian
+ ...
windows/office files May 15, 2008

Fernando Toledo wrote:

Anti-Virus? for what?

Well, if you need to install Windows (with VMware or Parallels), maybe. I don't have anyone.

Regards

Fernando
www.lenguatik.com

[Edited at 2008-05-13 10:04]

lol. i agree. installing av on mac is a bit ironic. i installed it not for the mac per se. it's for the files i got from others.

Fernando Toledo
Spain
German to Spanish
iWeb May 15, 2008

Han Li wrote:

@Fernando
Your website looks very good. Do you design it with iWeb? My website is designed by myself with Microsoft Expression Web in Windows. It seems a little roughness.

Regards,
Han Liwww.dtptranslate.com

Tsie Tsie

iWeb and all iLife applications are OK but limited.

You can buy a good template (50$) and adapt it for your needs.

Regards

Fernando

Han Li
China
English to Chinese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
iweb can't design it May 16, 2008

Hi Fernando,
Sorry for my question. iWeb can't design a beautiful website as yours.

Fernando Toledo
Spain
German to Spanish
It is normal May 16, 2008

Han Li wrote:

Hi Fernando,
Sorry for my question. iWeb can't design a beautiful website as yours.

iWeb is a easy and fast application to do a simple site. But it is more powerfull as it seams.

In my site are Maya 3D elements and is made in Flash.

As I said, you can buy a template and then adapt it.

There are lots of wonderfull templates made by experts teams, one person would need a lot of time to do the same, just google it.

For example:
http://www.templatemonster.com/

and for free:

http://www.freewebsitetemplates.com/

Regards

Han Li
China
English to Chinese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks for your advise May 17, 2008

I am a DIYer, I prefer to do it myself, maybe I will but one in future.

Regards,
Han Li

Dragomir Kovacevic
Dragomir Kovacevic  Identity Verified
Italy
Italian to Serbian
+ ...
antivirus software with Leopard May 18, 2008

Besides the opensource antivirus scanner as said by another colleague, there are few commercial products: Sophos, Norton, Avast, VirusBarrier X5.
Personally, I like the lightness and elegance of Avast and its economic pricing with discounts for medium term subscription and its frequent updates.
Norton offers just a bit of more features for higher price. As for those two, I can say that their RAM consumption is low, while that can't be said for VirusBarrier, which on my machine with
... See more
Besides the opensource antivirus scanner as said by another colleague, there are few commercial products: Sophos, Norton, Avast, VirusBarrier X5.
Personally, I like the lightness and elegance of Avast and its economic pricing with discounts for medium term subscription and its frequent updates.
Norton offers just a bit of more features for higher price. As for those two, I can say that their RAM consumption is low, while that can't be said for VirusBarrier, which on my machine with Tiger, took constantly about 800 Mb Ram, although being highly a interesting product.

Han Li wrote:

Dear colleagues,
I just have got an Intel MAC with Leopard. It's a very interesting OS, I am very love it. I want to know if I need run an antivirus software with Leopard? Any suggestions?
Han Li

[Edited at 2008-05-13 05:38]

[Edited at 2008-05-18 23:10]
Collapse

Han Li
China
English to Chinese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks for the link. May 19, 2008

Fernando Toledo wrote:
There are lots of wonderfull templates made by experts teams, one person would need a lot of time to do the same, just google it.

For example:
http://www.templatemonster.com/

and for free:

http://www.freewebsitetemplates.com/

Regards

A template will really save many times. I will get a free template or buy one in proper time. But if I get one from web, it maybe similar with others.

Regards,
Han Li

Han Li
China
English to Chinese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks for your introduction. May 19, 2008

Thank you, Dragomir. For the software you said, I only have downloaded and installed Avast 4 in Leopard, but when I shut down my computer and reboot it next time. Avast tell me the trial period is expired. It’s only one day. I don’t know why. I even not scan my computer with it. So I have to move it to trashes. Now my computer still is no antivirus software.

dansim (X)
dansim (X)
English to Italian
+ ...
oh please Jan 28, 2009

Please, just do not install any antivirus on any mac system, it's as useful and productive as wearing a medieval plate armor on the beach in august to avoid sunburns.

[Modificato alle 2009-01-28 11:26 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Which anti-virus software do you use with Leopard?

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »