Thread poster: Noe Tessmann
Noe Tessmann
Noe Tessmann  Identity Verified
Local time: 01:20
English to German
+ ...
Oct 16, 2008

Dear colleagues,

I am using Macbook Pro (2.16 Ghz) and for the well known reasons I have to use Windows. I prefer Boot Camp because it's more straight forward when it comes to connecting USB devices like the BT mike for DNS.
The only downside is the continual fan noise when running Boot Camp but it's not really better when running Parallels. Only in Leopard the fan goes off or stays rather quiet.

Sure Macbooks are not made for Windows, e.g. the battery time, mor
... See more
Dear colleagues,

I am using Macbook Pro (2.16 Ghz) and for the well known reasons I have to use Windows. I prefer Boot Camp because it's more straight forward when it comes to connecting USB devices like the BT mike for DNS.
The only downside is the continual fan noise when running Boot Camp but it's not really better when running Parallels. Only in Leopard the fan goes off or stays rather quiet.

Sure Macbooks are not made for Windows, e.g. the battery time, more than 3 hours under OSX and 1.5 hours under XP.

Do you experience the same problem? Is there a cure for it? If not I consider "upgrading" from Trados to Wordfast 6.0 after its release and getting rid of Windows.

Kind regards

Noe
Collapse

Cetacea
Cetacea  Identity Verified
Switzerland
English to German
+ ...
MacFixit Oct 16, 2008

Dear Noe,

I don't have suggestion to make myself, since I'm not running Windows on my MacBook Pro, but have you tried searching the MacFixit database (www.macfixit.com)? They might have a solution to your problem.

Aleks Zakrewski
Aleks Zakrewski
Poland
English to Russian
update Oct 16, 2008

Dear Noe,

I had this problem too on my MacBook, but seems like latest BootCamp update solves the issue.
At least after installing latest Boot Camp update, my MacBook is quiet again.

Hope it helps....

Good luck

Noe Tessmann
Noe Tessmann  Identity Verified
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Auto-update Oct 16, 2008

Dear Alex,

thanks for your answer. I had Boot Camp that comes with Leopard and after that it did some updates from time to time (I always refuse iTunes and Safari ). This never changed anything. Apple doesn't come up with good Windows drivers ...

There are some forum entries about this issue but no solutions.

Regards

Noe

FarkasAndras
FarkasAndras  Identity Verified
English to Hungarian
+ ...
cause Oct 16, 2008

Noe Tessmann wrote:

continual fan noise when running Boot Camp but it's not really better when running Parallels. Only in Leopard the fan goes off or stays rather quiet.

Sure Macbooks are not made for Windows, e.g. the battery time, more than 3 hours under OSX and 1.5 hours under XP.

The two are obviously closely connected. The computer is working way too hard when running boot camp. The obvious suspect is a constant relatively high processor load, say 20% or more in idle (when no application is running).
The fan noise is caused by the fan spinning fast as it has to remove all the heat from the overloaded processor.
That may be an inevitable "feature" of running boot camp. I don't know the particulars, I won't touch a mac with a ten-foot pole myself.

Use some system monitoring tool to check the processor load at idle and see in fora if that is a normal load level.

Fernando Toledo
Fernando Toledo  Identity Verified
Spain
German to Spanish
I have no problem Oct 17, 2008

I don't use Boot Camp, I just install VMware and it goes OK.

I let my Windows XP at the most efficient level (without effects, no connectivity, lot of services stopped, etc., it is just for Trados!) and never have the fan running. Only by rendering a movie or working with Logic (Audio) it get "hot", but with Windows, never.

There is also a "Windows XP light" just for running things like Trados, perfect if you don't need to access the Internet via Windows (for what?). ... See more
I don't use Boot Camp, I just install VMware and it goes OK.

I let my Windows XP at the most efficient level (without effects, no connectivity, lot of services stopped, etc., it is just for Trados!) and never have the fan running. Only by rendering a movie or working with Logic (Audio) it get "hot", but with Windows, never.

There is also a "Windows XP light" just for running things like Trados, perfect if you don't need to access the Internet via Windows (for what?).

Don't install Vista!!! I f you have Leopard, it is a waste in resources only for Trados.

Regards

[Edited at 2008-10-17 21:10]
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Fan noise of Macbook Pro in Boot Camp but also Parallels

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »