Thread poster: Madeleine MacRae Klintebo
Madeleine MacRae Klintebo
Madeleine MacRae Klintebo  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 19:15
Swedish to English
+ ...
Jul 11, 2009

I'm on the verge of moving from Windows to Mac and I thought I'd be able to make the switch without having to resort to a virtualisation tool, but it looks like there are a few programs that I like which can only be run on Windows.

So I'm looking at various alternatives and would like to get your views on these:

BootCamp - free and
... See more
I'm on the verge of moving from Windows to Mac and I thought I'd be able to make the switch without having to resort to a virtualisation tool, but it looks like there are a few programs that I like which can only be run on Windows.

So I'm looking at various alternatives and would like to get your views on these:

BootCamp - free and included if I understood the salesperson correctly. Disadvantage: you need to re-boot to change between Mac and Windows.

Parallells - £50, but you can jump between OSs without re-booting. Disadvantage: price

WMware - $80, same as Parallels, but, according to test I've read, a bit slower than Parallels. Disadvantage: price

CrossOver Mac - £26, and you don't actually need a copy of a Windows OS. Disadvantage: looks like it works by messing about with the registry.

I do own a few versions of Windows OS that I should be able to use on the Mac:

Vista Ultimate - although I was intending to leave this on my old PC laptop which I'm passing on to my son. Also only on a recovery disc so I presume I would have to contact our friends at MS to be able to move it.

XP - currently on my son's Dell desktop which I intend to decommission. Also just on a recovery disc so I would again have to contact MS.

98 - an old OS. I have a full version on a disc that doesn't require activation. But would this be enough to run newer Windows programs.

All ideas greatly appreciated.

Madeleine
Collapse

Miguel Garcia Lopez
Miguel Garcia Lopez  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 20:15
English to French
+ ...
Parallels and XP Jul 11, 2009

Hi Madeleine,

I moved to Mac a few months ago, and after making some research I chose Parallels + XP.
I tested the other softwares you mentioned and by far Parallels is the best.

Miguel.

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
See the Apple website Jul 11, 2009

Madeleine

There are many useful discussions about this in the discussions forums at the Apple website. I suggest you read them before you jump! There are at least 5 or 6 different ways of doing what you want to do.

[Edited at 2009-07-11 15:16 GMT]

Fernando Toledo
Fernando Toledo  Identity Verified
Spain
German to Spanish
Hm Jul 11, 2009

I think VMware is superior as Parallels.

You can find some " X versus Y" screencast in Youtube.

With Parallels you can work also in both OS at the same time.

A good alternative is Virtuabox ( http://www.virtualbox.org/ ), it is for free.

And yes, XP is better and need less resources, why Vista?

Regards

Fernando

MB
... See more

You can find some " X versus Y" screencast in Youtube.

And yes, XP is better and need less resources, why Vista?

Regards

Fernando

MB Pro - VMware - XP
Collapse

Andrea Re
Andrea Re  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English to Italian
+ ...
Must you get Windows? Jul 11, 2009

I have switched to Mac about 2 months ago and so far I have not felt the need to install Windows. My main problem were the dictionaries, but I am hoping to solve taht problem as well. I do not own Trados, but am using a different program that accepts, amongst others .ttx.

Remember that Wordfast works with Office 2004 and NOT 2008.

Andrea

Huw Watkins
Huw Watkins  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2005)
Italian to English
+ ...
Windows OS Jul 11, 2009

Most windows OSs are OEM licences and are therefore non transferable between machines. Just be aware of that as it may cause you problems on reinstallation.

Also there is a separate licence for Windows on Mac, if memory serves (I used to work in software licensing for microsoft stuff).

United Kingdom
Swedish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you all for your help Jul 12, 2009

I've spend too many hours tonight trying to figure out what to do. And sorting through all my old discs.

Miguel Garcia Lopez wrote:
I moved to Mac a few months ago, and after making some research I chose Parallels + XP.
I tested the other softwares you mentioned and by far Parallels is the best.

The tests I found confirm this (Parallels), but I'm still trying to decide.

Tom in London wrote:
There are many useful discussions about this in the discussions forums at the Apple website. I suggest you read them before you jump! There are at least 5 or 6 different ways of doing what you want to do.

I've spent the most of the evening on www.mac-forums.com and I'm still no wiser...

Fernando Toledo wrote:

In which way is WMware superior?

I thought you could do this with both Parallels and WMware. I.e., that they both worked as windows when you're booted into OS X (as opposed to BootCamp which requires you to reboot when changing OS)

Hadn't come across this one, but will do some research.

Andrea Re wrote:
Must you get Windows?

Yes and no. My intention was to become totally windows-free. The only two programs that I own which will not run on a Mac are MS Project and MS Visio. I don't often use them and "bought" them for free through my university (just finishing a course in web design and my university has an agreement with MSDN Academy which gives me access to a lot of free MS software). So I can live without them.

But, about the same time that I fell in love with my soon to be Macbook Pro I started evaluating MemoQ. And I really like this CAT. Sure, I could just stick with Wordfast and OmegaT, but I'm evaluating MemoQ for my in-house job so it would be advantageous to also use it as a freelancer.

Huw Watkins wrote:
Most windows OSs are OEM licences and are therefore non transferable between machines. Just be aware of that as it may cause you problems on reinstallation.

It looks like you're right. In between my research tonight I've been trying to organise all CDs I happen to have laying about. And I was really happy when I came across an XP Home disc that came with my old desktop (decommisioned 2,5 yrs ago). Then I started reading the text on it "For distribution with a new PC only" and "...are licensed to OEMs...". So even if I could connect my old desktop to a screen to find out the product key...

Again, thank you all. Somehow it looks like I will have to do without MemoQ, Project and Visio as it that would mean I'd have shell out for both a virtualisation engine and a NEW copy of XP. Even though I've already paid for two copies of XP that I'll no longer be able to use. One on my old desktop and one my son's old Dell (he's inheriting my laptop with Vista).

I had no pro or anti feelings about Windows when I started my migration, but the thought of having to buy a third copy of XP when I have two unused ones just laying about...

Julie Dion (X)
Julie Dion (X)  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 14:15
English to French
VMware and OEM windows Jul 12, 2009

Madeleine,

Been a Mac user for six years and here is my set up:

MacBook Pro (one year old) + Vmware + windows XP OEM

If you want to save money, try to get an OEM version of Windows, although XP may not be available anymore. Vista will take a lot of resources but will work. You can buy OEM (cheaper) versions online through stores like Newegg (don't know if they are in UK) or your local PC retailer (one that builds PCs to order).

Then go online,
... See more
Madeleine,

Been a Mac user for six years and here is my set up:

MacBook Pro (one year old) + Vmware + windows XP OEM

If you want to save money, try to get an OEM version of Windows, although XP may not be available anymore. Vista will take a lot of resources but will work. You can buy OEM (cheaper) versions online through stores like Newegg (don't know if they are in UK) or your local PC retailer (one that builds PCs to order).

Then go online, type "vwmare fusion rebate code". Some sites list discount codes which can make you save up to 20% (my version of Fusion came with one free year of McAfee and cost me 60$ or so).

Fusion or Parallels? Either one will do fine! It's a matter of personal taste. I'd be careful with CrossOver, it has not been tested with all Office versions (last time I checked) and certainly not with Trados.

You can install Windows in BootCamp and access it through Vmware later, but if you don't plan on playing games requiring lots of video memory, don't bother. Also, configure windows with NTSF (not FAT32) it will work better.

I only use Trados on my windows partition, for everything else, I use the Mac so, before spending money on Windows and emulation software, make sure you really need it

As someone else said, Office 2008 does not support VBA, so no WordFast. Make sure you can get an old copy of Office 2004. MS will add VBA in the next version, but until then you're stuck.

Good luck!
Collapse

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Wrong website Jul 12, 2009

Madeleine MacRae Klintebo wrote:

I've spent the most of the evening on www.mac-forums.com and I'm still no wiser......

Madeleine, that was not where I meant. You should go here:

http://discussions.apple.com

Fernando Toledo
Spain
German to Spanish
Some test Jul 12, 2009

Fernando Toledo wrote:

In which way is WMware superior?

http://theappleblog.com/2008/11/11/vmware-fusion-2-vs-parallels-desktop-4-lets-dance/
Verdict

In the end, both applications are polished, effective ways of bringing Windows into OS X. There are no deal-breaking flaws in either software, and the choice of which to use will likely come down to what you intend to do with your virtual machine. For me, despite the problems mentioned above and features you gain, like simultaneous device mounting, VMWare Fusion wins out, due largely to its much better OS X integration. If I’m using virtualization software, there’s a good chance I want to be able to use Leopard as well, or else I’d just run Boot Camp. Fusion offers the least obtrusive way to bring Windows into your Mac sanctuary, and that’s exactly what I’m looking for.

http://www.m2-j.info/2008/11/22/parallels-desktop-4-vs-vmware-fusion-2/

Conclusion
So, overall score was 6:16 in favor of VMware Fusion 2 and the result itself indicates a strong winner! I must admit that for me such a big difference was unexpected. I did install Vista on Parallels first and after using it for short time I had a feeling they did improve significantly (I did use version 3 some time ago). But after testing both of them, Fusion still feels faster and results confirm that. The fact is that VMware Fusion 2 was out some time before Parallels Desktop 4 and guys at Parallels probably did have the time to look-up on competition and make a better product, or at least more competitive one — a task at which they’ve failed.

United Kingdom
Swedish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks again Jul 12, 2009

Julie Dion wrote:
As someone else said, Office 2008 does not support VBA, so no WordFast. Make sure you can get an old copy of Office 2004. MS will add VBA in the next version, but until then you're stuck.

Oops, too late. Placed my order for Office 2008 yesterday... But I still have a full Office 2000 package (no activation needed) so I could feasible use this if I decide to install Windows one way or another.

tom in London wrote:
Madeleine, that was not where I meant. You should go here:

http://discussions.apple.com

Oops again. Some of those Mac/Windows compatibility threads are scary reading... But I'm still looking forward to receiving my MBP and will find ways around all potential hazards. Thanks for the link.

Fernando Toledo wrote:
Fusion offers the least obtrusive way to bring Windows into your Mac sanctuary, and that’s exactly what I’m looking for.

Fusion seems to be most people's favourite. But I think I'll just start with BootCamp to see how cumbersome it really is before shelling out money on this.

I managed to find the booklet (including product code which came with my copy of OEM XP). Now if I can only persuade MS that I've just changed my original PC's motherboard... If not, I'll have to see how see how far I can get without Windows before spending more money (and buying the MBP I've done some money spending lately). With Office 2008 and all Adobe programs in Mac version I figure I've covered the basics.

Madeleine

Julie Dion (X)
Julie Dion (X)  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 14:15
English to French
It is cumbersome ;-) Jul 12, 2009

Fusion seems to be most people's favourite. But I think I'll just start with BootCamp to see how cumbersome it really is before shelling out money on this.

I managed to find the booklet (including product code which came with my copy of OEM XP). Now if I can only persuade MS that I've just changed my original PC's motherboard... If not, I'll have to see how see how far I can get without Windows before spending more money (and buying the MBP I've done some money spending lately). With Office 2008 and all Adobe programs in Mac version I figure I've covered the basics.

Madeleine

It is cumbersome to switch by booting into each system. I tried it too for a while and gave up! Maybe you are more patient than I am.

If your "changing the motherboard" strategy works with MS, then spending 60$ on Fusion will be all worth it. If you do go the bootcamp route, you will not be able to acces your Windows partition files from the Mac side if they are NTSF, you'll need to format into FAT32 (not ideal) to have direct access or get a piece of software to access the file between partitions. And if I remember correctly you will not be able to access your Mac files from the Windows partition. Does that make sense?

Fernando Toledo
Spain
German to Spanish
Office Jul 13, 2009

Well, maybe too late.

I like Word 2008 (same interface as older versions) and Excel, but Entourage is too heavy (I prefer Mail) and Powerpoint is simply bad.

Microsoft Office is not DIN compliant. You can use OpenOffice (it is free) and DIN conform. If you have already a Office copy in Windows, no need to use the same s... in Mac.

iWorks is very good too. Keynote is 1000% better than Powerpoint.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Migrating to Mac

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »