Laurent KRAULAND (X)
Laurent KRAULAND (X)  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 23:14
French to German
+ ...
WF Pro on Mac Aug 3, 2009

Fernando Toledo wrote:

Wordfast Classic seems to work fine in a Mac with Word 2004. The new one (javascript), I don't know, I tried it but I don't have a good feeling.

Well, at least it is said to be platform independent. I currently have it running on my PC and will try it on my iMac. If you have the patience to wait some 2 weeks, I will be able to PM about my experience.

Laurent K.

Ana Carneiro
Ana Carneiro  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 22:14
English to Portuguese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
That's nice Aug 3, 2009

ScottishWildCat wrote:

Fernando Toledo wrote:

Wordfast Classic seems to work fine in a Mac with Word 2004. The new one (javascript), I don't know, I tried it but I don't have a good feeling.

Well, at least it is said to be platform independent. I currently have it running on my PC and will try it on my iMac. If you have the patience to wait some 2 weeks, I will be able to PM about my experience.

Laurent K.

I will. It's nice of you to share your experience.
Thanks!

Sergei Tumanov
Sergei Tumanov  Identity Verified
Local time: 00:14
English to Russian
+ ...
bootcamp vs. parallel desktop Aug 3, 2009

As I understand it, with bootcamp you need to restart your laptop to get the required OS.

I prefer working with Parallel desktop, where launching MS Windows looks like launching one more window with Safari or Itunes.

Ana Carneiro
Portugal
English to Portuguese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Pardon Aug 3, 2009

Sergei Tumanov wrote:

As I understand it, with bootcamp you need to restart your laptop to get the required OS.

I prefer working with Parallel desktop, where launching MS Windows looks like launching one more window with Safari or Itunes.

my ignorance, but is Parallel something that comes already with Mac Book Pro, or you need to buy it?
Ana

Laurent KRAULAND (X)
Laurent KRAULAND (X)  Identity Verified
France
French to German
+ ...
Parallels... Aug 3, 2009

Ana Carneiro wrote:

Pardon my ignorance, but is Parallel something that comes already with Mac Book Pro, or you need to buy it?
Ana

must be bought (some 79 € VAT inclusive in France AFAIK).

Laurent K.

Ana Carneiro
Portugal
English to Portuguese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Aug 3, 2009

ScottishWildCat wrote:

Ana Carneiro wrote:

Pardon my ignorance, but is Parallel something that comes already with Mac Book Pro, or you need to buy it?
Ana

must be bought (some 79 € VAT inclusive in France AFAIK).

Laurent K.

Laurent. It costs more or less the same in Portugal.

Joanna Wachowiak-Finlaison
Joanna Wachowiak-Finlaison
United States
Local time: 16:14
English to Polish
+ ...
Parallels Aug 4, 2009

I just got Parallels+Windows XP and it runs like a charm. I love having the Virtual Machine running in a window and being able to use both Mac and Windows applications at the same time (when in coherence mode). It is truly like having two computers in one.
Ana, I can totally understand why you'd want a laptop, and not a desktop - I keep wandering around the house, changing my work environment form time to time. Plus, you can always bag your machine and go work in a coffee shop. Priceless.

pcovs
pcovs
Denmark
English to Danish
WF works like a charm on Mac Aug 4, 2009

I have a MacBook Air, and WF Pro is working absolutely fine in this environment, no problem!

As for Trados on Parallels - it works okay, except that I can't seem to make MultiTerm 2007 work in cooperation with WB!!! Grrr - what am I doing wrong? Anyone?

Other than my small problems with MultiTerm, I have no bad experiences with Trados on Parallels yet

BTW - I switched to Mac for exactly the sa
... See more
I have a MacBook Air, and WF Pro is working absolutely fine in this environment, no problem!

As for Trados on Parallels - it works okay, except that I can't seem to make MultiTerm 2007 work in cooperation with WB!!! Grrr - what am I doing wrong? Anyone?

Other than my small problems with MultiTerm, I have no bad experiences with Trados on Parallels yet

BTW - I switched to Mac for exactly the same reasons: constant breakdowns, freezes, corruption of software etc. etc.

Enjoy.
Collapse

Fernando Toledo
Fernando Toledo  Identity Verified
Spain
German to Spanish
Big files Aug 4, 2009

PCovs wrote:

Enjoy.

Have you try to import a big TMX? And to work with a big file using a big TM? I am still very sceptic with javascript for this kind of application, wit javascript you can have a nice interface but it seems to have problems with big files...

Diana Cossato (X)
Diana Cossato (X)  Identity Verified
Belgium
Hungarian to Italian
+ ...
WF Pro on Mac Aug 4, 2009

PCovs wrote:

Are you using the Mac or PC version? The Mac one doesn't work for me, basically when I try to open a txml file it does nothing (won't open it). I'm using the PC version under Parallels now and that works fine, but I'd much rather not have to use the dark side of my MacBook

Anybody any experiences with WF Pro in a Mac environment?

Thanks,

Diana

Ana Carneiro
Portugal
English to Portuguese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Yes Aug 4, 2009

PCovs wrote:

BTW - I switched to Mac for exactly the same reasons: constant breakdowns, freezes, corruption of software etc. etc.

Enjoy.

It's a nuisance, it gets on your nerves and on your pocket. I don't intend to use Trados, but Wordfast. I am also having a lot of problems with Trados, and I don't feel like buying a new version. I could never put Multiterm to work...

Ana Carneiro
Portugal
English to Portuguese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Yes Aug 4, 2009

Joanna Wachowiak-Finlaison wrote:

I just got Parallels+Windows XP and it runs like a charm. I love having the Virtual Machine running in a window and being able to use both Mac and Windows applications at the same time (when in coherence mode). It is truly like having two computers in one.
Ana, I can totally understand why you'd want a laptop, and not a desktop - I keep wandering around the house, changing my work environment form time to time. Plus, you can always bag your machine and go work in a coffee shop. Priceless.

That's the nice thing of a laptop - I can go to friends houses in other towns and still work, I can work anywhere in the house... I am no more confined to my house.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Joining Mac world

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »