Opening Apple iWork *.pages files on a PC?
Thread poster: Jan Sundström
Jan Sundström
Jan Sundström  Identity Verified
Sweden
Local time: 03:03
English to Swedish
+ ...
Aug 7, 2009

Hi all,

Do you know of any software able to open *.pages files, created with iWork om Mac OSX?

The only technical solution I know of would involve installing a hacked version of OSX and downloading a trial of iWork. But maybe there are easier ways?

TIA,

/J

colemh
colemh
Local time: 20:03
English to Spanish
+ ...
export Aug 7, 2009

from Pages, choose .doc format

[Edited at 2009-08-07 16:19 GMT]

Fernando Toledo
Fernando Toledo  Identity Verified
Spain
German to Spanish
Ask somebody with a Mac Aug 8, 2009

colemh wrote:

from Pages, choose .doc format

[Edited at 2009-08-07 16:19 GMT]

to export it as PDF to avoid *.doc format (.doc is not DIN compliant)

Regards

by the way, OpenOffice is DIN compliant.

[Edited at 2009-08-08 13:03 GMT]

Olaf (X)
Olaf (X)
English to German
.pages docs are .zip files with documents in them Aug 8, 2009

Pages docs are .zip files that contain the actual doc, any images and more importantly a .pdf version of the doc in the QuickLook folder. Just rename the extension from .pages to .zip and have a look for yourself.
If you just want to get the contents of the file you could convert the Preview.pdf file in the QuickLook folder.
If you expect to translate lots of .pages docs you might be able to define a Trados .xml filter for index.xml to extract all translatable text directly.
O
... See more
Pages docs are .zip files that contain the actual doc, any images and more importantly a .pdf version of the doc in the QuickLook folder. Just rename the extension from .pages to .zip and have a look for yourself.
If you just want to get the contents of the file you could convert the Preview.pdf file in the QuickLook folder.
If you expect to translate lots of .pages docs you might be able to define a Trados .xml filter for index.xml to extract all translatable text directly.
Of course it would be much easier to simply ask someone with a Mac to save the .pages doc as a word doc or rtf doc. However, as with every conversion there's the possibility that some formatting gets lost.

Olaf
Collapse

thank you Jun 13, 2012

xxxOlaf: thanks for the tip on how to get a look at PAGES file on a pc. i only have ms works and everthing else i saw i was confusing. couldn't believe all i had to do was change file type to ZIP, but it worked perfectly. was doing a task for wife, who also thanks you for helping her get the PAGES file printed.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Opening Apple iWork *.pages files on a PC?

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »