Mac-based CAT: any advice?
Thread poster: electrus
electrus
electrus
German to English
Sep 9, 2009

Hi everybody,

This is a general question about CAT on a Mac.

I'm thinking of moving from Windows to the Mac platform. I use Trados 6 but I'm prepared to ditch it if here's something that does the job on the Mac. Of course, I'd like to be able to bring my trados translation memories with me.

Has anyone done this? I'd be grateful for your advice.
Calling Mac users out there: what CAT do you use? Does Wordfast work OK on MS Office for Mac?

I
... See more
Hi everybody,

This is a general question about CAT on a Mac.

I'm thinking of moving from Windows to the Mac platform. I use Trados 6 but I'm prepared to ditch it if here's something that does the job on the Mac. Of course, I'd like to be able to bring my trados translation memories with me.

Has anyone done this? I'd be grateful for your advice.
Calling Mac users out there: what CAT do you use? Does Wordfast work OK on MS Office for Mac?

I'd be grateful for any feedback.
Many thanks!

Andy Peaston
Collapse

Paul Daubreu (X)
Paul Daubreu (X)
Local time: 15:41
French to German
+ ...
CAT tools: solutions for Mac Sep 10, 2009

Hi Andy,
I use Heartsome CAT Bundle for Mac (http://www.heartsome.net), which works mostly with open-source formats. You can export your Trados TM's to this software by converting them to .TMX files. I also have Anaphraseus and OmegaT, which are both free software and which I use together with OpenOffice 3.1.

Wordfast Classic and Wordfast Pro can also work on Mac, but my experience with th
... See more
Hi Andy,
I use Heartsome CAT Bundle for Mac (http://www.heartsome.net), which works mostly with open-source formats. You can export your Trados TM's to this software by converting them to .TMX files. I also have Anaphraseus and OmegaT, which are both free software and which I use together with OpenOffice 3.1.

Wordfast Classic and Wordfast Pro can also work on Mac, but my experience with those is limited to a Windows environment.

You can also install Parallels or VMWare on your Mac and run Trados on it (which I didn't).
Collapse

esperantisto
esperantisto  Identity Verified
Local time: 16:41
Member (2006)
English to Russian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Such general questions have been discussed extensively, I think Sep 10, 2009

Why would not you browse through previous topics (see a couple below) in this forum and/or use search?

Translation Tool for MAC
... See more
Why would not you browse through previous topics (see a couple below) in this forum and/or use search?

Translation Tool for MAC

PPT translation on Mac: Wordfast, Heartsome XLIFF Araya, OmegaT

Going from PC to Mac

[Edited at 2009-09-10 07:50 GMT]

[Edited at 2009-09-10 07:50 GMT]
Collapse

electrus
electrus
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
Mac-based CAT: any advice? Sep 10, 2009

Oh. I see that lots has been discussed about this topic before. Next time I'll look in the archives before posting - thanks very much both of you for your input and the links to other posts. They were very valuable.

andy

Piotr Bienkowski
Piotr Bienkowski  Identity Verified
Poland
English to Polish
+ ...
Swordfish runs on Mac OS Sep 10, 2009

electrus wrote:

Oh. I see that lots has been discussed about this topic before. Next time I'll look in the archives before posting - thanks very much both of you for your input and the links to other posts. They were very valuable.

andy

Because it is Java-based - it can run on a number of operating systems, including various flavors of Mac OS.

Regards

Piotr

Grzegorz Gryc
Grzegorz Gryc  Identity Verified
French to Polish
+ ...
Remark on Wordfast... Sep 11, 2009

Paul Daubreuil wrote:

Wordfast Classic and Wordfast Pro can also work on Mac [...][/quote]
Wordfast Classic works on Mac but the newest MS Office 2008 for Mac is not supported (starting from this version MS thrown out the support for VBA), so you need to find an older MS Office.

Cheers
GG

Laura Morwood
Laura Morwood  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 14:41
English to Dutch
+ ...
VM Ware Fusion Sep 11, 2009

Hi,

I've just switched to Mac. I bought a program called VM Ware Fusion. It's quite cheap and it enables you to then install Windows XP or whatever platform you want. And then you can just use your old version of Trados on it.
Good luck!

Paul Daubreu (X)
Paul Daubreu (X)
French to German
+ ...
Be careful about that... Sep 11, 2009

Laura Morwood wrote:

Hi,

I've just switched to Mac. I bought a program called VM Ware Fusion. It's quite cheap and it enables you to then install Windows XP or whatever platform you want. And then you can just use your old version of Trados on it.
Good luck!

This is 100% true, Laura, however the poor guys like me who bought a PC from the store and therefore don't have a separate MS Windows license must purchase one...

electrus
electrus
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
running two OS's Sep 11, 2009

Actually, I prefer the option of running a CAT programme on Mac under Mac OS X. The reason for this is the bad experience I had running Windows 3 under OS/2 in the early 90s! Having 2 operating systems sounds like you have more freedom but in actual fact, in my experience, it only multiplies problems.

I thought it out as follows: I could get Bootcamp or Parallels, then I could install my Windows XP Office suite, then I realised I only have a very old version of Windows XP, I'd have
... See more
Actually, I prefer the option of running a CAT programme on Mac under Mac OS X. The reason for this is the bad experience I had running Windows 3 under OS/2 in the early 90s! Having 2 operating systems sounds like you have more freedom but in actual fact, in my experience, it only multiplies problems.

I thought it out as follows: I could get Bootcamp or Parallels, then I could install my Windows XP Office suite, then I realised I only have a very old version of Windows XP, I'd have to upload all the service packs and only then could I install this new MS compatibility pack to be able to read and write XML files... OMG, no thanks. I don't want to go down that road.

So it looks like MS Office for the Mac 2004 + Wordfast. Or MS Office f. Mac 2008 + OmegaT or Heartsome. Since OmegaT is free and I like their philosophy, I'll probably try that first. But, I must say, I've been a bit spoilt using Trados and Word: I can't imagine having to see all the different tags and formatting signs. The texts I translate are mainly for marketing and advertising and seeing the text as it will appear to the target user kind of inspires me. Tags and widgets don't inspire me. In Wordfast, do you just see the text, as in Trados, or do you see all the tags too?

Many thanks for all your input. It's been very helpful.

Andy
Collapse

Paul Daubreu (X)
Paul Daubreu (X)
French to German
+ ...
Ken Hansen's initiative... Sep 13, 2009

Hi Andy,
please have a look at this

http://www.proz.com/forum/apple_mac_operating_systems/140377-collaborators_needed_for_macintosh_cat_tool.html

Ken Hansen from Mozambique wants to develop a Mac-specific CAT tool and I think it is a great initiative.

PS: as per Wordfast Pro, it also
... See more
Hi Andy,
please have a look at this

http://www.proz.com/forum/apple_mac_operating_systems/140377-collaborators_needed_for_macintosh_cat_tool.html

Ken Hansen from Mozambique wants to develop a Mac-specific CAT tool and I think it is a great initiative.

PS: as per Wordfast Pro, it also works tags and widgets as you name them. And the Anaphraseus add-in is, as far as I know, somewhat based on Wordfast Classic.

PPS: I am not a Heartsome shareholder, but this CAT supports the following formats

- directly: RTF, TTX, XML, xHTML, SVG, DITA, HTML, ODT, ODS, ODP, SXW, PO, RC, DOCX, XLSX, PPTX,
- indirectly: DOC, XLS, PPT (through the Automatic OpenOffice Conversion for MS Office Formats - OpenOffice has hence to be installed on your Mac)

[Edited at 2009-09-13 06:38 GMT]
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Mac-based CAT: any advice?

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »