Wordfast solution: office 2004, neo office, parallels?
Thread poster: Bonnie Brusky
Bonnie Brusky
Bonnie Brusky  Identity Verified
Local time: 02:49
French to English
+ ...
Sep 10, 2009

Hello all,

I am considering a wordfast classic purchase, but because it doesn't run with my current word-processsing software (Mac Office 2008, purchased before I knew anything about CAT), I need to find a solution. I see several, and would very much like your feedback on which might be best.
1. buy office 2004
2. buy parallels desktop or vmware and run wordfast classic via office xp
3. neo-office + WF classic: Does this work?? I've searched the forum
4. op
... See more
Hello all,

I am considering a wordfast classic purchase, but because it doesn't run with my current word-processsing software (Mac Office 2008, purchased before I knew anything about CAT), I need to find a solution. I see several, and would very much like your feedback on which might be best.
1. buy office 2004
2. buy parallels desktop or vmware and run wordfast classic via office xp
3. neo-office + WF classic: Does this work?? I've searched the forum
4. opt for wordfast pro

Bootcamp is not an option I'm considering because I don't like that I can't switch OS easily.

I am partial to wordfast classic based on what I've read and heard. That it is integrated into machine TM's (I think that's what they are called, I am totally new to CAT...) seems to be a major plus. I also heard that WF Pro, because it is so new, is still a little buggy. Finally, I am looking into a training program that will use WF Classic--even though I've seen online tutorials, I really want to do a face-to-face training as this is my first foray into CAT. So that is also a reason WF Classic is more appealing. Would anyone make a strong case for WF Pro, or do you think Classic is suffice?

In terms of my three options above, which is likely to be smoother, less buggy and quicker? I work iMac (10.5.8) and new MacBook Pro. I intend to upgrade to Snow Leopard.

Thanks so much in advance for sharing your insights,

Bonnie
Collapse

Eleonora Tondon
Eleonora Tondon  Identity Verified
Italy
Czech to Italian
+ ...
Virtual box Sep 10, 2009

Hi Bonniejane!

I do have a Macbook too and I also had the same problems you have now. I resolved the problem downloading VirtualBox (which is opensource and does the same things Parallels do) on my Mac. Now I can virtually run WinXP on my MacBook, use WF with Office and maybe one day use Trados too.

I hope I helped you!
Bye
Eleonora

Robert Tucker (X)
Robert Tucker (X)
United Kingdom
Local time: 01:49
German to English
+ ...
Anaphraseus Sep 11, 2009

bonniejane wrote:
3. neo-office + WF classic: Does this work??

NeoOffice + Anaphraseus would be a better bet. If not NeoOffice, then OpenOffice. (But remember MS Office > OpenOffice > MS Office is not always perfect, and Anaphraeus is still only at beta stage.)

Bonnie Brusky
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
thanks! Sep 14, 2009

Thanks for the inputs! I looked into Virtual Box, great tip! I will look into the open office - anahraseus solution. since it's all open source, I guess I can just test it out and see what I think. I'll admit, though, that I'm quite keen on being trained by a "live" trainer in WF.

Thanks again!

Bonnie

Bonnie Brusky
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
update Nov 17, 2009

I just wanted to give an update.

I invested in Office for Mac 2004, and started using WFC. Around the same time I upgraded to Snow Leopard. Well, the results were disasterous. my iMac (purchased in 2007) was so SLOW i could barely work. My new MacBook was better, but still slow. Talked to the Mac folks who said Office 2004 was just too outdated to work well in Leopard. So much for that pricey purchase!

I ended up downloading Virtual Box, the free virtualization softwar
... See more
I just wanted to give an update.

I invested in Office for Mac 2004, and started using WFC. Around the same time I upgraded to Snow Leopard. Well, the results were disasterous. my iMac (purchased in 2007) was so SLOW i could barely work. My new MacBook was better, but still slow. Talked to the Mac folks who said Office 2004 was just too outdated to work well in Leopard. So much for that pricey purchase!

I ended up downloading Virtual Box, the free virtualization software by Sun Systems, and installed Windows XP and Office XP in this parallel environment. I now run WFC from Windows on my Mac. It's working pretty well for me, but it slows down my Mac considerably, so I try to close Virtual Box when I want to do stuff on my Mac. If I can get my hands on a Windows 7 CD, I would consider testing Parallels--my guess is that it is a bit more user friendly than Virtual Box, which is fine unless you have a problem: the help forums are very tech-y and I don't understand much.

So there you have it. Moral of the story: DO NOT USE OFFICE 2004 ON YOUR RECENT MACS !!!!!
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Wordfast solution: office 2004, neo office, parallels?

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »