Andrea Re
Andrea Re  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 08:41
English to Italian
+ ...
Oct 23, 2009

Hi there,

yesterday I had to open a word file in Hebrew and Russian, but couldn't display it properly (if at all...). Is any Hebrew/Russian translator living in the UK or continental Europe who can tell me where I can get the fonts or whatever I need? (I imagine that if you are in Israel/Russia you would get the "correct" version of Office by default).
I wonder whether I might have the same problem in, say, Hindi or Japanese...

Thanks,

Andrea
... See more
Hi there,

yesterday I had to open a word file in Hebrew and Russian, but couldn't display it properly (if at all...). Is any Hebrew/Russian translator living in the UK or continental Europe who can tell me where I can get the fonts or whatever I need? (I imagine that if you are in Israel/Russia you would get the "correct" version of Office by default).
I wonder whether I might have the same problem in, say, Hindi or Japanese...

Thanks,

Andrea

I have had a look and I seem to have several Japanise and some CHinese font, but no Hebrew, Arabic, Hindi, Cyrillic and so on:(

[Modificato alle 2009-10-23 23:38 GMT]
Collapse

Ángel Domínguez
Ángel Domínguez  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 09:41
Member (2008)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Knowing the fonts... Oct 23, 2009

Hi,

doesn’t Word display a warning with the name(s) of the missing font(s)? If it doesn’t, try opening it with Pages (if you have it); I know Pages does it with its own documents when a font is missing, so maybe it will happen with Word files as well. Once you know the name of the font, you can purchase it from several sites:
... See more
Hi,

doesn’t Word display a warning with the name(s) of the missing font(s)? If it doesn’t, try opening it with Pages (if you have it); I know Pages does it with its own documents when a font is missing, so maybe it will happen with Word files as well. Once you know the name of the font, you can purchase it from several sites:

http://www.linotype.com/
http://www.fonts.com/

... and so on. In any case, the client should be able to provide the typefaces needed, or tell you their names. Well, I don’t know if that helped at all. I hope so.
Regards from Spain,

Ángel Domínguez
Spanish translator, DTP expert
Collapse

Andrea Re
Andrea Re  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 08:41
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Souldn't they be included? Oct 23, 2009

Hi Ángel,

I thought they should be included in Word as some people seem to have them.
Funnily enough, I can see the Russian and the Hebrew documents in NeoOffice...

Andrea

[Modificato alle 2009-10-23 23:44 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Office 2004 professional for Mac

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »