Thread poster: T_Herrmann (X)
T_Herrmann (X)
T_Herrmann (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 11:45
German to English
+ ...
Oct 25, 2003

Hi,

are there any Mac users out there using TRADOS? Thing is, I really think I've had it with PCs (Mind you I am a programmer with degree, yet I am still tired of them, and the new Macs with the cinema displays and so on really look interesting, also a friend of mine showed me the Mac versions of the MS-Office suite and they really do feature some cool stuff the PC versions don't have, especially Entourage.

Bottom line, I am flirting with the idea to switch. Now I have
... See more
Hi,

are there any Mac users out there using TRADOS? Thing is, I really think I've had it with PCs (Mind you I am a programmer with degree, yet I am still tired of them, and the new Macs with the cinema displays and so on really look interesting, also a friend of mine showed me the Mac versions of the MS-Office suite and they really do feature some cool stuff the PC versions don't have, especially Entourage.

Bottom line, I am flirting with the idea to switch. Now I have tried it with my buddies Mac running OS X, and indeed all ms-office files were compatible without any restrictions. I mean we emailed my XP versions to his OS X, and the attachments opened without any problems at all, formatting alright and what not.

Now, how is it with Trados though? I roamed translationzone.com, it doesn't say anything about Mac compatibility. When I think back when I was studying I think I remember that the VBA-basic on PC's is not Mac compatible, so would I have to run it in a sandbox???

I'd be grateful for any shared experience.

To Mac or not to Mac....

TIA
Tao
Collapse

R. James
R. James
United States
Local time: 05:45
Portuguese to English
+ ...
Nope. Oct 25, 2003

Apparently TRADOS doesn't see development on the Mac as part of keeping its strangehold.

Anyway, there are other programs... check out OmegaT (pretty basic)... I've heard of Fastwrite (don't know that's the right name) and, of course, Alair.

A lot of the functions in TRADOS would probably be replicable with those and others, and OS X... well, in my opinion, as far as productivity (check out Virtual Desktop for an amazing took)... pulls far ahead.

Good luck.
... See more
Apparently TRADOS doesn't see development on the Mac as part of keeping its strangehold.

Anyway, there are other programs... check out OmegaT (pretty basic)... I've heard of Fastwrite (don't know that's the right name) and, of course, Alair.

A lot of the functions in TRADOS would probably be replicable with those and others, and OS X... well, in my opinion, as far as productivity (check out Virtual Desktop for an amazing took)... pulls far ahead.

Good luck...
Collapse

sylver
sylver  Identity Verified
Local time: 17:45
English to French
No Oct 25, 2003

Trados won't work on a Mac, AFAIK.

However, you can use Wordfast. Although it works better on PC, it is still a decent solution for Mac users.

Cheers,
Sylvain

Odette Grille (X)
Odette Grille (X)  Identity Verified
Canada
English to French
+ ...
A new cat tool developed by proz might soon ? Oct 25, 2003

We (Mac users) are on the site's wish list for ...

colemh
colemh
Local time: 04:45
English to Spanish
+ ...
X11 - an alternative Oct 25, 2003

This is what Apple says

"Prior to the introduction of Mac OS X, virtually the only way developers could create a graphical application in a UNIX-based operating system was with the X Window System, more commonly called X11. X11 for Mac OS X offers UNIX users the ability to run thousands of X11 applications concurrently with other Mac O
... See more
This is what Apple says

"Prior to the introduction of Mac OS X, virtually the only way developers could create a graphical application in a UNIX-based operating system was with the X Window System, more commonly called X11. X11 for Mac OS X offers UNIX users the ability to run thousands of X11 applications concurrently with other Mac OS X applications."
http://www.apple.com/macosx/features/x11/
http://www.apple.com/macosx/x11/download/

Basically any Unix based application will run on your Mac under OS X and X11. As an alternative look for Unix based applications.

Regards
Collapse

colemh
colemh
English to Spanish
+ ...
To Mac or not to Mac.... Oct 25, 2003

don't give it a second thought.

I have been a Mac user since 1987 and to this day I don't regret my decision.

As a developer you will find many interesting options.

Michael Bastin
Michael Bastin  Identity Verified
Spain
English to French
+ ...
virtual pc Oct 26, 2003

Hi,

I think Trados can run on a Mac under virtual PC, for the rest I know there is a Mac version of Wordfast.

VMT TRADUCE (X)
VMT TRADUCE (X)  Identity Verified
Italy
English to Italian
+ ...
MAC!!! Jan 7, 2004

I'm another Mac lover... Mac! Absolutely!!

KathyAnna O
KathyAnna O
Canada
English to Polish
+ ...
Wordfast for Mac Sep 18, 2004

I just found out that Trados is not compatible with Macintosh. Very sad, indeed.
Someone mentioned Wordfast. Is it worth buying?

By the way, Macs are love of my life!!!!

[Edited at 2004-09-18 01:29]

Stéphan Goldsmith
Stéphan Goldsmith
English to French
+ ...
Trados works on Mac via Virtual PC Sep 28, 2004

Hi,

Trados will not run natively on Mac OS X, that is a sure fact.

However, there is a work around that situation, and it is called Virtual PC.

I am currently using Trados 6.5 Freelance Edition (mind you, it has to be with the USB dongle) and although the Virtual PC is certainly a bit slower than if you would work directly on a PC, it is still fully fonctionnal. I recently managed a 300,000 word project with dozens of Word documents in that way (translating
... See more
Hi,

Trados will not run natively on Mac OS X, that is a sure fact.

However, there is a work around that situation, and it is called Virtual PC.

I am currently using Trados 6.5 Freelance Edition (mind you, it has to be with the USB dongle) and although the Virtual PC is certainly a bit slower than if you would work directly on a PC, it is still fully fonctionnal. I recently managed a 300,000 word project with dozens of Word documents in that way (translating, analyzing files, cleaning them up, creating a glossary).

There is one element to take into account though : the more RAM memory you can assign to your Virtual PC, the faster it will run. This means that you need to have a Mac with as much RAM as possible.

Just to give an idea, I am working on a 1.25 Ghz G4 PowerBook with 1024 MB RAM, running Mac OS X (version 10.3.5) and Virtual PC 6.1.1.

The PC I created to use Trados has 512 MB of RAM and disk space that can grow up to 15GB and runs Windows 2000 (I have another Virtual PC with XP, but without Trados)

One of the aspect I like in this configuration is that you can create a master PC with Trados and Office installed for example and store that PC on your hard disk (a newly created PC will be around 1.5 GB). Then, you duplicate that PC and use the copy in production. Your files can stay in your Mac file system as you can freely drag and drop them from the Mac desktop to the PC desktop and vice-versa. In case your production PC starts behaving weirdly, you can simply trash it, make a copy of your master PC and you are up and running again in no time.

Now, if I were to contact Trados Tech support, I think they would be entitled to tell me that they do not support Trados in that configuration but I guess I could always pretend it is a regular, stand-alone PC.

So, Trados can be used on a Mac with Virtual PC, provided the following conditions are met :

- You need a copy of Trados with the USB dongle;
- You can allocate as much RAM as possible to your Virtual PC

Another option that might be worth considering is connecting to your current PC with a Mac via the Remote desktop connection and check the performance you would have that way. Personally, I have not tried it yet.
Collapse

Vincent Knobil
Vincent Knobil
France
English to French
VirtualPC Sep 29, 2004

I've used Trados on Virtual PC, on a lowly G3! I second everything said above. It works fine. Actually, Windows is slow, loading apps is slow, but once everything is loaded and running, it is fast enough. And this is where another great feature comes in: You can launch your whole work environment on the Virtual PC, and just save its current state when you quit. On relaunch, instead of loading Windows etc., it just quickly loads everything as it was when you quit, and you are ready to go.
<
... See more
I've used Trados on Virtual PC, on a lowly G3! I second everything said above. It works fine. Actually, Windows is slow, loading apps is slow, but once everything is loaded and running, it is fast enough. And this is where another great feature comes in: You can launch your whole work environment on the Virtual PC, and just save its current state when you quit. On relaunch, instead of loading Windows etc., it just quickly loads everything as it was when you quit, and you are ready to go.

Word of warning: Until just recently, Virtual PC was incompatible with the G5 processor. Make sure you get the just-released version 7 if you are running a G5-based Mac.
Collapse

Ana Jimenez H.
Ana Jimenez H.  Identity Verified
Spanish to English
+ ...
Go MAC! But...? Jul 2, 2006

I am also a Mac fan, all the way. My only concern is if we use Wordfast instead of Trados, we will not be elligible for jobs requiring Trados. In other words, us Mac users will be left out from a big part of the job offerings, since most commissioners usually require Trados. Am I wrong?

Thanks

ana

Diana Cossato (X)
Diana Cossato (X)  Identity Verified
Belgium
Hungarian to Italian
+ ...
now you can have a mac AND use Trados Jul 2, 2006

Hi,

I have so far managed to stay away from Trados and I will do so as long as I can (users seem to prefer worfast to trados, although I can't say anything for myself because I haven't even ever seen it).

Anyhow, you may be aware that the new Intel macs can run Windows too now. I will refrain from installing it on mine since I don't like it at all and so far don't require it, but should there be that ONE program that you absolutely MUST have and only runs on windows, th
... See more
Hi,

I have so far managed to stay away from Trados and I will do so as long as I can (users seem to prefer worfast to trados, although I can't say anything for myself because I haven't even ever seen it).

Anyhow, you may be aware that the new Intel macs can run Windows too now. I will refrain from installing it on mine since I don't like it at all and so far don't require it, but should there be that ONE program that you absolutely MUST have and only runs on windows, the possibility is there. And Trados could be one such program.

There you go.
Shall we welcome you into the mac community??

Have a nice Sunday

Diana
Collapse

colemh
colemh
English to Spanish
+ ...
Some choices Jul 2, 2006

There is no TRADOS version for Mac OS X. You can look for software made for Mac with similar characteristics (like Wordfast) or software for other operating systems.

X11 works well for Unix based apps. As for Windows:

- Virtual PC is an alternative; unfortunately it is slow and quite unstable.

- You might want to look at Apple’s Boot Camp. This little piece of software will permit you to partition your hard drive and be able to boot either from OS X or
... See more
There is no TRADOS version for Mac OS X. You can look for software made for Mac with similar characteristics (like Wordfast) or software for other operating systems.

X11 works well for Unix based apps. As for Windows:

- Virtual PC is an alternative; unfortunately it is slow and quite unstable.

- You might want to look at Apple’s Boot Camp. This little piece of software will permit you to partition your hard drive and be able to boot either from OS X or Windows XP. It seems they have included all the necessary drivers so that Windows can work adequately with Apple’s firmware and hardware. You still need to buy and install a Windows XP license. Whatever problem you encounter with Windows (bugs, virus, etc) will be isolated to your Windows environment, it will not affect the OS X partition. Please keep in mind that this is an alternative for Intel based Macs.
http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=303572

- And finally, look into Parallels Desktop for Mac. Interesting piece of software, will permit you to run concurrently several operating systems on a Mac. Nice features and price (US39), great performance and disk management. Will only work on Intel based Macs.
http://www.parallels.com/en/products/desktop/

I have been working with Macs since 1987; I cannot find a single reason to switch back. One thing to keep in mind, Apple builds the hardware and develops the software, this by itself is enough to warrantee an outstanding piece of machinery. When I think about Apple, many words come to mind: innovation, superior quality, easy of use, and long-term investment.

[Edited at 2006-07-02 21:29]
Collapse

Yaron Dahan
Yaron Dahan
Local time: 12:45
French to English
+ ...
TRADOS on MAC??? UGHHH Oct 23, 2006

You mean run the world's most crash-prone counter-intuitive program on the smooth user freindly machine of a MAC???

But why???

[Edited at 2006-10-23 15:21]

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

TRADOS on a Mac, does it work?

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »