Thread poster: Dragomir Kovacevic
Dragomir Kovacevic
Dragomir Kovacevic  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 17:56
Italian to Serbian
+ ...
Jan 3, 2010

I notice that CSV file format, as well as TMX, are not indexed by Spotlight, and are not searchable. Sometimes it is necessary to search your glossary and tm folders through the Finder, especially for the files not linked with a translation project.
This occurs to me, both registering the CSV format with OpenOffice, or with MS Excel.
Quite an inconvenient problem, really.
I use Tiger 10.4

Does anybody have some suggestion or solution? Thanks in advance, D.

Laurent KRAULAND (X)
Laurent KRAULAND (X)  Identity Verified
France
French to German
+ ...
In Snow Leopard... Jan 3, 2010

Hi Dragomir,
while CSV files are not shown when you search for "csv", Spotlight will find them when you select the option "Display all" (my interface is in French...) just under the Spotlight field.

I admit that I never used Tiger, though but hope this will help you a little bit.

[Edited at 2010-01-03 19:01 GMT]

Dragomir Kovacevic
Dragomir Kovacevic  Identity Verified
Italy
Italian to Serbian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
re: files in csv format not recognized...(Tiger) Jan 3, 2010

Laurent KRAULAND wrote:

Hi Dragomir,
while CSV files are not shown when you search for "csv", Spotlight will find them when you select the option "Display all" (my interface is in French...) just under the Spotlight field.

However, Laurent, in my 10.4 OS X, all the csv files get indexed for the nominal presence, they are searchable with inserting "csv" in Finder's pane. They only do not get indexed for their content and that is my problem; that occurs even for newly created csv files in MS Excel 2004 and OOo 3.

Why I am saying "newly created csv files.."? Those were done for a test, while, no old csv files from my PC do not get indexed as well!

Because, after having asked my question today, I did some googling and found out that ex-MS and ex-Mac comma separated files are different. As a matter of fact, my csv files were created previously in Windows OS, and, preciselly, those in question, were MS csv IT glossaries.

I found a following explanation here:
http://excel.tips.net/Pages/T002519_CommaDelimited_Differences_for_PC_and_Mac.html

P.S. in my Spotlight it is not possible to re-configure the searchability, besides the one in Control Panel, where all possible files are checked for search; csv and tmx format should fall under the category of "Documents".

In Windows, one registers whatever kind of file comes into PC, and, besides being opened with default application, it is indexed. (A question mark for this for OOo formats only, since I do not remember whether they are actually indexed, despite of using Windows regularly...) But, on Mac, at least on Tiger OSX, tmx format or MS csv or Mac csv format, to me result as non indexed. (I have to examine more the various tabbed txt files that Mac MS Office 2004, offers, though, besides the one given per default)

So, it means you do not have problems in indexing the content of those two formats, Laurent?

[Edited at 2010-01-03 21:56 GMT]

Laurent KRAULAND (X)
Laurent KRAULAND (X)  Identity Verified
France
French to German
+ ...
Yes right... Jan 4, 2010

Dragomir Kovacevic wrote:

However, Laurent, in my 10.4 OS X, all the csv files get indexed for the nominal presence, they are searchable with inserting "csv" in Finder's pane. They only do not get indexed for their content and that is my problem; that occurs even for newly created csv files in MS Excel 2004 and OOo 3.

[Edited at 2010-01-03 21:56 GMT]

I should have read your post better - I don't have any content indexation I would be aware of with 10.6.2... at least not for TMX and CSV files.

[Edited at 2010-01-04 18:20 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

files in csv format not recognized...

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »