Celine Gras
Celine Gras  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 15:07
English to French
+ ...
Jan 19, 2010

Hi all,
I just bought a Mac Book Pro and intend to switch definitely to Mac (currently on Windows Vista), but I very much like working with TO3000 and this software is not mac compatible, unfortunately.

Does anyone know of a Mac alternative to TO3000? What I particularly like is that it automates the creation of my folders and subfolders (Job name>Incoming, Outgoing, Work), it contains all my clients' information and allows me to enter job details to generate an invoice once t
... See more
Hi all,
I just bought a Mac Book Pro and intend to switch definitely to Mac (currently on Windows Vista), but I very much like working with TO3000 and this software is not mac compatible, unfortunately.

Does anyone know of a Mac alternative to TO3000? What I particularly like is that it automates the creation of my folders and subfolders (Job name>Incoming, Outgoing, Work), it contains all my clients' information and allows me to enter job details to generate an invoice once the job is completed.

Any such thing on a Mac?

Thank you very much in advance!
Collapse

Laurent KRAULAND (X)
Laurent KRAULAND (X)  Identity Verified
France
French to German
+ ...
What about those? Jan 20, 2010

Hi Céline,
I do not use any of those (as I prefer Numbers together with Express Invoice... for the moment!) but you may have a look at them:

http://mac.sofotex.com/Business_Software/Invoice_And_Billing/

Stefan Budrich
Stefan Budrich  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2005)
English to German
TOM by Jovosoft Jan 20, 2010

We are running T.O.M. (translator's office management) on the Macs in our agency. The software is based on Filemaker Pro, which is a strong and reliable database system.
See: http://www.jovo-soft.de/E_PI_Technical.php

It does everything that we want it to do, including quotes, invoices etc. - been using it since 2007.

While Filemaker is a tool that the Ma
... See more
We are running T.O.M. (translator's office management) on the Macs in our agency. The software is based on Filemaker Pro, which is a strong and reliable database system.

It does everything that we want it to do, including quotes, invoices etc. - been using it since 2007.

While Filemaker is a tool that the Mac community has been using for decades the TOM developer is more focused on Windows - which means that there are occasional hiccups (such as path separators that do not work on Macs) but I've found that Joachim is then usually pretty quick in fixing this. Also, they support a few mid-sized agencies that are also working w. Macs so they can't really ignore us

Plus, with FileMaker being the heart of the tool, Mac-compatibility is built-in.

Stefan
Collapse

Celine Gras
France
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
TO3000 equivalent for MAC Jan 20, 2010

Thanks for your help!

Stefan, I considered using TOM even before I decided to go for TO3000, but I don't like the sound of "TOM runs on current Mac versions including Mac Intel. However, installation procedures as well as the help system need to be arranged on an individual basis." I am just a newbie in everything Mac, and I am not sure I can handle this software on my mac... but I may give it at try, since it is especially designed for translators, which is a definite advantage fro
... See more
Thanks for your help!

Stefan, I considered using TOM even before I decided to go for TO3000, but I don't like the sound of "TOM runs on current Mac versions including Mac Intel. However, installation procedures as well as the help system need to be arranged on an individual basis." I am just a newbie in everything Mac, and I am not sure I can handle this software on my mac... but I may give it at try, since it is especially designed for translators, which is a definite advantage from my point of view.

Laurent, thank you for the link. Customer Tracker seems to do pretty much all I need, except maybe the creation of folders/sub-folders. I will have to check on this. TimeNet too, but not sure it is suitable for translators.

Does anyone use Customer Tracker or TimeNet?

Edited to add: Studiometry seems quite nice too. Any experience with it?

TIA

[Edited at 2010-01-20 10:48 GMT]
Collapse

Deborah Mends
Deborah Mends  Identity Verified
France
French to English
Macs and Virtual PCs and TO 3000 and TOM Feb 11, 2010

While I think I will be glad in the long run that I switched to a Mac, I have unfortunately wasted a fair bit of money in trying to get to the right solutions and am posting this to spare (I hope) other translators my errors.

I have been a loyal Wordfast/TO 3000 devotee for years and my freelance work has ticked along nicely like that, except with all the problems that go along with PCs - viruses, Trojan horses, gradual clogging calling for defragmenting, reformatting, despair. I b
... See more
While I think I will be glad in the long run that I switched to a Mac, I have unfortunately wasted a fair bit of money in trying to get to the right solutions and am posting this to spare (I hope) other translators my errors.

I have been a loyal Wordfast/TO 3000 devotee for years and my freelance work has ticked along nicely like that, except with all the problems that go along with PCs - viruses, Trojan horses, gradual clogging calling for defragmenting, reformatting, despair. I bought a Macbook Pro in a fit of rage over what a Trojan horse did.

Wishing to keep Wordfast and TO, I decided to skip the Bootcamp option and go for a virtual PC, and my research indicated that there are two softwares out there basically, Fusion and Parallels. I got Fusion because a friend has it and it works great for her.

Windows 7 uploaded fine on the virtual PC (don't make my mistake and accidentally buy the update version; also be sure to buy the Pro version that includes conversion for XP-only applications). Wordfast Classic okay. Wordfast Pro fine. Microsoft Security Essentials, check. However, various forums and discussions on the TO 300 website indicated that there is a security block on TO 3000 that means it won't work on a virtual computer. I got the trial version of TOM, and it is a marvel with all it can do once you read the 168-page manual, but I need to just get my professional life moving again...so I started looking harder at the TO problem, and wrote to AIT:

"We know your problem as soon as we have seen your discussion on Proz forum. As you already know Translation Office 3000 (as the rest of our software products) do not work under virtual machines for security reasons. The main reason for introducing this security is the fact that software which can be run under virtual environment is more prone to hacking. However somehow this security system does not recognize Parallels as virtual machine and it is possible to run our programs under this one. Recently I brought up again an issue regarding operation on virtual machines to our software development department but still did not receive any comments on it and therefore can not say exactly if our policy on this point will be changed soon or not. At the moment the only suggestion we gave to our customers is Parallels."

I need my professional life back, so I'm going to lay out the 80 euros for Parallels and trash the 60-euro Fusion.
Collapse

Celine Gras
France
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you for sharing Feb 11, 2010

Hi Deborah,

Thank you for posting this. I had read somewhere else on Proz that TO3000 only worked under Parallels, soon before I decided I'd buy Fusion. For now, I am still running TO3000 on my PC, as I haven't found a better option yet. TOM did not appeal to me, even though I am sure this is a great tool and its developer is very responsive. But I am so used to TO3000... I think I'll soon buy and install Parallels, just for TO3000.

As for my CAT, I am switching from Tr
... See more
Hi Deborah,

Thank you for posting this. I had read somewhere else on Proz that TO3000 only worked under Parallels, soon before I decided I'd buy Fusion. For now, I am still running TO3000 on my PC, as I haven't found a better option yet. TOM did not appeal to me, even though I am sure this is a great tool and its developer is very responsive. But I am so used to TO3000... I think I'll soon buy and install Parallels, just for TO3000.

As for my CAT, I am switching from Trados to SwordFish. I am currently trying this tool, and it seems very promising. I have had a few difficulties at the beginning (due to Trados incorrectly coding the TMXs), but I find it a very smooth and rewarding experience.

Best,
Céline

[Edited at 2010-02-11 20:03 GMT]
Collapse

Nicolas Bonsignore
Nicolas Bonsignore  Identity Verified
Member (2005)
English to French
+ ...
Same request May 7, 2010

Hi Celine,
I'm using Projetex myself on a PC and would like to switch. As you wrote, this is not compatible with Mac OS.
Could you please share your experience with other Project Management software on Mac?
TIA,
Nicolas

Jeff Clingenpeel
Jeff Clingenpeel  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 09:07
Member (2009)
German to English
leveraging TO3000 data? May 2, 2011

Stefan Budrich wrote:

While Filemaker is a tool that the Mac community has been using for decades the TOM developer is more focused on Windows - which means that there are occasional hiccups (such as path separators that do not work on Macs) but I've found that Joachim is then usually pretty quick in fixing this. Also, they support a few mid-sized agencies that are also working w. Macs so they can't really ignore us

Plus, with FileMaker being the heart of the tool, Mac-compatibility is built-in.

Stefan

I'm thinking of moving from TO3000 to TOM in order to migrate to a Mac (without having to run Windows on it). I don't want to lose all of my years of data on TO3000, though. Do you know of any way to export the TO3000 data so that it can populate the TOM database?

Thanks for your feedback,
Jeff Clingenpeel

Celine Gras
France
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Parallels May 12, 2011

Hi All,

I have been working on my macbook for over a year now, and I finally installed Parallels with Windows XP in order to keep on using TO3000. I have not been able to find another solution and as Jeff points out, there was the problem of exporting/importing my years of data into any other software.

Céline

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

TO3000 equivalent for MAC?

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »