Denyce Seow
Denyce Seow  Identity Verified
Singapore
Local time: 10:09
Member (2004)
Chinese to English
Jun 24, 2010

Hi all,

I became a devoted Mac user last year when I got my very first iMac. I usually work with my iMac, but when I have to use Trados, I have no choice but to go back to my Windows laptop. The laptop is dying soon and I am thinking of getting a new one. I am very tempted to get a Macbook, but I worry about Trados. One of my clients told me that with Parallels, I will be able to use Trados on a Mac computer. Sounds good, but I have two concerns:

1) Does that mean I nee
... See more
Hi all,

I became a devoted Mac user last year when I got my very first iMac. I usually work with my iMac, but when I have to use Trados, I have no choice but to go back to my Windows laptop. The laptop is dying soon and I am thinking of getting a new one. I am very tempted to get a Macbook, but I worry about Trados. One of my clients told me that with Parallels, I will be able to use Trados on a Mac computer. Sounds good, but I have two concerns:

1) Does that mean I need to have a Microsoft Office installed in the Mac environment and another Microsoft Office installed in the Windows environment? If yes, that means I have to pay double to use Office.
2) If I access the Internet in the Windows environment, will the risk of virus infection be the same as on a Windows computer?

Does anyone of you have experience with using Trados on Mac?
Collapse

Diana Cossato (X)
Diana Cossato (X)  Identity Verified
Belgium
Local time: 04:09
Hungarian to Italian
+ ...
Yes to both questions, unfortunately. Jun 24, 2010

A workaround for the second would be using the internet on the Mac side esclusively, which is what I do.

I have no experience with Trados, nor do I really intend to have any, but there must be a page devoted to this discussion (Trados on Mac) somewhere here on Proz.

Good luck!

Diana

Joakim Braun
Joakim Braun  Identity Verified
Sweden
German to Swedish
+ ...
Try it Jun 24, 2010

(Caveat: I'm on MacOSX 10.5.8 on last year's top-notch MacBook Pro, with Parallels 4.0, WinXP and SDL Trados Studio 2009.)

It's important to realize that you have two computers in one with completely separate software environments (connected by various Parallels wizardry to enable cross-platform file copying etc.).

1) Windows and Mac applications are separate, independent installations. Any software that Trados needs to function must to be installed as a Windows app in
... See more
(Caveat: I'm on MacOSX 10.5.8 on last year's top-notch MacBook Pro, with Parallels 4.0, WinXP and SDL Trados Studio 2009.)

It's important to realize that you have two computers in one with completely separate software environments (connected by various Parallels wizardry to enable cross-platform file copying etc.).

1) Windows and Mac applications are separate, independent installations. Any software that Trados needs to function must to be installed as a Windows app in the Parallels Windows PC. That said, I only have a 1998 Windows version of Word on my Parallels PC and except for slowness Trados seems to work fine (for the little I've used it). You certainly don't need MS Office on the Mac side to run Trados on the Windows side.

2) Yes, the security risks affecting the Windows part of the computer should be the same as with an identical Windows installation on a PC. If you're worried about this, you can switch to the Mac to do your surfing.

Parallels is a fine piece of work and good to have around. It works like any other Mac application and you can switch in and out of it seamlessly. Very impressive. Try it out (there's a free trial version), install Trados and check your mileage.
Collapse

pcovs
pcovs
Denmark
English to Danish
Yes, try it out Jun 24, 2010

I too have Parallels on my MacBook to run Trados.
I made the stupid mistake of buying Windows Office for Mac, but now I basically never use it.
If I need to use Word, I usually switch to the Windos environment. I mostly ever need Word when using Trados and then only for certain clients, so...

Wordfast has a Pro version for Mac, so a lot of your work could also be done using Wordfast instead (it doesn't require Word or any other app to run).

Nikolaj Widenmann
Nikolaj Widenmann
United States
Local time: 20:09
Member (2007)
Danish to English
+ ...
It works for me Jun 24, 2010

I recently switched to Mac. I have been using VMFusion to run SDL Trados Suite 2009 on Windows 7 on both my iMac and my Macbook Pro, and it works just great (in fact, it works better than on my over-heating Toshiba laptop). Fusion is similar to Parallels. Yes, you do want to install virus protection. Since I get Norton for free with my Internet provider, it was just a matter of downloading it.

Like someone mentioned, you can also use Wordfast Pro with the Mac OS.

Good l
... See more
I recently switched to Mac. I have been using VMFusion to run SDL Trados Suite 2009 on Windows 7 on both my iMac and my Macbook Pro, and it works just great (in fact, it works better than on my over-heating Toshiba laptop). Fusion is similar to Parallels. Yes, you do want to install virus protection. Since I get Norton for free with my Internet provider, it was just a matter of downloading it.

Like someone mentioned, you can also use Wordfast Pro with the Mac OS.

Good luck.

Nikolaj Widenmann
Collapse

Denyce Seow
Singapore
Member (2004)
Chinese to English
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks! Jun 25, 2010

Hi all,

Thanks for the useful information and for sharing your experience. I prefer to stick with Trados for a while more. Guess that means I have no choice but to use Parallels. I'll just avoid going on the Internet when I am in the Windows environment.

Thanks again! And have a nice weekend!!

Denyce

Cetacea
Cetacea  Identity Verified
Switzerland
English to German
+ ...
Boot Camp Jun 25, 2010

Denyce Seow wrote:
Guess that means I have no choice but to use Parallels.

Hi Denyce,

Just thought I'd let you know that you don't need to buy Parallels. You can use Boot Camp to run your Windows environment. That application is already part of your MacOS, the only dawback being that you can't simply switch between environments, you'll need to restart your computer to go from one to the other.

Fernando Toledo
Fernando Toledo  Identity Verified
Spain
German to Spanish
Is it not enough this argument? Jun 27, 2010

Cetacea wrote:

Denyce Seow wrote:
Guess that means I have no choice but to use Parallels.

Hi Denyce,

Just thought I'd let you know that you don't need to buy Parallels.

... the only dawback being that you can't simply switch between environments, you'll need to restart your computer to go from one to the other.

We are professionals. I have no time to switch my MacBook Pro each time I need to use some Windows applications. It ist just a few bucks.

By the way, I am using VMware Fusion, here you can migrate your complete Windows Laptop to the Mac environment, you will have your "old" laptop into your Mac. If you need something in Windows, well, open it, it will be just a application more in your Mac, for the rest.... Snow Leopard, no doubt!

Regards

[Edited at 2010-06-27 20:19 GMT]

Denyce Seow
Singapore
Member (2004)
Chinese to English
TOPIC STARTER
Here's a good link on VMware Fusion and Parallels Jun 28, 2010

I found this link while googling Bootcamp and VMware Fusion: http://www.parallels.com/landingpage/dskd40_4/?source=google_row&gclid=CMHEg-XjwaICFclS6wodOmfTig. This guy talks about almost everything that is mentioned here - VMware Fusion, Parallels and Bootcamp. It's very useful, especially for a Mac newbie like me.

Sergei Tumanov
Sergei Tumanov  Identity Verified
Local time: 05:09
English to Russian
+ ...
never go online Jun 28, 2010

from Windows installed in parallels.
Use Mac environment for this purpose only.
Obvious and easy solution.

Free antivirus for windows to be installed for good order sake anyway can be free Avira.
Works pretty good for me.

[Edited at 2010-06-28 08:37 GMT]

Cetacea
Cetacea  Identity Verified
Switzerland
English to German
+ ...
Just a few bucks... Jun 28, 2010

Fernando Toledo wrote:
We are professionals. I have no time to switch my MacBook Pro each time I need to use some Windows applications. It ist just a few bucks.

Since Denyce is obviously a new user, I just thought I'd let her know she has one more option, particularly because everybody keeps complaining about the additional cost Mac involves.

And since I am a professional, I don't have the time to deal with all the problems Windows causes (nor do I want to spend any money on them), so I don't use it at all...

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Questions about using Parallels

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »