Thread poster: Amy Duncan (X)
Amy Duncan (X)
Amy Duncan (X)  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 19:36
Portuguese to English
+ ...
Oct 9, 2010

I've been using Microsoft Office without too many complaints, but I thought I check out iWorks to see if it's better, so I downloaded a trial version.

So far, it seems to lack two things that are important to the way I do my translation work on my MacBook Pro:

No way to split the screen horizontally on the same document.
No way to work with two languages in the same document, and do spell checks on them, as far as I can figure out.

I could be wrong ab
... See more
I've been using Microsoft Office without too many complaints, but I thought I check out iWorks to see if it's better, so I downloaded a trial version.

So far, it seems to lack two things that are important to the way I do my translation work on my MacBook Pro:

No way to work with two languages in the same document, and do spell checks on them, as far as I can figure out.

I could be wrong about these two points, so if anyone has found these features in iWork, please let me know. Thanks!
Collapse

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Local time: 23:36
Member (2008)
Italian to English
OK Oct 9, 2010

Amy Duncan wrote:

I could be wrong about these two points, so if anyone has found these features in iWork, please let me know. Thanks!

iWork is OK for simple tasks. It can't do everything Word can do. But it has one big advantage: it doesn't freeze or crash ! I often work on a translation in iWork and then export it as a Word file.

But remember: iWork is a "young" application and has only been in existence for a few years. It can't (yet) do all the things MS Office can do. It's just a little more friendly.

AFAIK iWork can't do the tasks you describe. In fact I didn't know they could be done in MSWord !

Amy Duncan (X)
Brazil
Portuguese to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Guess it's a no-go for me right now... Oct 9, 2010

Thanks, Tom, it's good to get your point of view. I would love to be able to use iWork, but I've gotten into such a habit with splitting the page in half and having an easy drop-down menu for the languages that I know I won't be able to get along without those features in Word. Maybe I'll try again in a year or so.

Word doesn't freeze up on my Mac, but it does crash from time to time...could be worse, though.

Roland Lelaj
Roland Lelaj
Canada
Local time: 18:36
Member (2008)
English to Albanian
+ ...
IWork '09: The Missing Manual By Josh Clark Oct 10, 2010

Hi Amy,

I found very useful this manual about IWork. Have a look at it and maybe you can discover that what you needed can be done easily...

See more
Hi Amy,

I found very useful this manual about IWork. Have a look at it and maybe you can discover that what you needed can be done easily...

http://books.google.ca/books?id=qbClg0GX2ukC&pg=PA159&lpg=PA159&dq=iwork%20splitting%20pages%20in%20half&source=bl&ots=667riMkxxT&sig=N79pJM-_gnqaUK5iSQICGsD3v5M&hl=en&ei=bN2xTJbOJsKmnAf2t-WVBg&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=1&ved=0CBQQ6AEwAA#v=onepage&q&f=false

Enjoy!

roland
Collapse

Amy Duncan (X)
Brazil
Portuguese to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks, Roland! Oct 10, 2010

I'll definitely have a look at this!

John Bunch
John Bunch  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 17:36
German to English
IWorks Oct 20, 2010

I had some more or less big problems with customers who didn't like my editing of work done with IWorks. I could not figure it out, because to me everything looked good. Turns out later that there were problems, when the customer viewed my work using their Microsoft tools (Word). I finally bought MS-Office 2008 for Mac. Problem solved ! (Get the student edition, much cheaper !). I think Microsoft does this on purpose, btw, makes it non-compatible.

Amy Duncan (X)
Brazil
Portuguese to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
You're probably right, John... Oct 20, 2010

...about Microsoft doing that on purpose. I've come to the conclusion that I won't be able to use iWorks...I'll just stick with MS-Office. I bought the student edition, too.

Jean-François Pineau
Jean-François Pineau  Identity Verified
Local time: 00:36
German to French
+ ...
Business Use? Oct 20, 2010

Are you sure the student edition can be used for business purposes?

Brian Young
Brian Young  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 15:36
Danish to English
lost formatting when exporting Pages to Word Oct 20, 2010

I too experienced this. A document in Pages would lose its formatting when I exported it as a Word doc. I had a client email me with a complaint that I had not retained all the formatting. It looked great in Pages, but when I opened it on another computer in Word the formatting was changed. I had to buy Office 2008 for Mac, and It works very well, in fact better on my Macbook then it does on a PC.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

iWorks seems to lack important features

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »