Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
Thinking of switching to Mac - any advice or feedback please?
Thread poster: LilyBart
Jerzy Czopik
Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 13:20
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
My personal experience with MAC Feb 16, 2004

I can only enforce what has been said before.
MAC is not an alternative for PC, as you MUST have a PC today, and CAN have a MAC.
And forget about MAC not crashig - MAC has been crashing and does it still. OK, not that often as Win 9x/ME, but it is not stabler than Win 2k/XP.
MAC is extremly expensive.
MAC files are NOT compatible with PC files (even in QuarkXPress they are not), when you go for slavic languages for example.
I have both and this is the only solution
... See more
I can only enforce what has been said before.
MAC is not an alternative for PC, as you MUST have a PC today, and CAN have a MAC.
And forget about MAC not crashig - MAC has been crashing and does it still. OK, not that often as Win 9x/ME, but it is not stabler than Win 2k/XP.
MAC is extremly expensive.
MAC files are NOT compatible with PC files (even in QuarkXPress they are not), when you go for slavic languages for example.
I have both and this is the only solution I can imagine.

Kind regards
Jerzy
Collapse

Marc P (X)
Marc P (X)  Identity Verified
German to English
+ ...
If Operating Systems Ran The Airlines... Feb 16, 2004

Not original, but still true. Well, almost.

UNIX Airways

Everyone brings one piece of the plane along when they come to the airport. They all go out on the runway and put the plane together piece by piece, arguing non-stop about what kind of plane they are supposed to be building.

Air DOS

Everybody pushes the airplane until it glides, then they jump on and let the plane coast unti
... See more
Not original, but still true. Well, almost.

UNIX Airways

Everyone brings one piece of the plane along when they come to the airport. They all go out on the runway and put the plane together piece by piece, arguing non-stop about what kind of plane they are supposed to be building.

Air DOS

Everybody pushes the airplane until it glides, then they jump on and let the plane coast until it hits the ground again. Then they push again, jump on again, and so on...

Mac Airlines

All the stewards, captains, baggage handlers, and ticket agents look and act exactly the same. Every time you ask questions about details, you are gently but firmly told that you don't need to know, don't want to know, and everything will be done for you without your ever having to know, so just shut up.

Windows Air

The terminal is pretty and colourful, with friendly stewards, easy baggage check and boarding, and a smooth take-off. After about 10 minutes in the air, the plane explodes with no warning whatsoever.

Windows NT Air

Just like Windows Air, but costs more, uses much bigger planes, and takes out all the other aircraft within a 40-mile radius when it explodes.

Windows XP Air

You turn up at the airport,which is under contract to only allow XP Air planes. All the aircraft are identical, brightly coloured and three times as big as they need to be. The signs are huge and all point the same way. Whichever way you go, someone pops up dressed in a cloak and pointed hat insisting you follow him. Your luggage and clothes are taken off you and replaced with an XP Air suit and suitcase identical to everyone around you as this is included in the exorbitant ticket cost. The aircraft will not take off until you have signed a contract. The inflight entertainment promised turns out to be the same Mickey Mouse cartoon repeated over and over again. You have to phone your travel agent before you can have a meal or drink. You are searched regularly throughout the flight. If you go to the toilet twice or more you get charged for a new ticket. No matter what destination you booked you will always end up crash landing at Whistler in Canada.

Linux Air

Disgruntled employees of all the other OS airlines decide to start their own airline. They build the planes, ticket counters, and pave the runways themselves. They charge a small fee to cover the cost of printing the ticket, but you can also download and print the ticket yourself.

When you board the plane, you are given a seat, four bolts, a wrench and a copy of the seat-HOWTO.html. Once settled, the fully adjustable seat is very comfortable, the plane leaves and arrives on time without a single problem, the in-flight meal is wonderful. You try to tell customers of the other airlines about the great trip, but all they can say is, "You had to do what with the seat?"
Collapse

lien
lien
Netherlands
English to French
+ ...
Enough ! Feb 17, 2004

I have windows XP installed since three years and it did not crah once or has given me others problems what so ever.

Always starting when I open it, on hold or hibernating when closed, my computer never gave me a problem of OS.

And about the colourful and the wizards, it has been made with people like me in mind, just want to use the comp and it solves the problem itself. It is like a telephone, you do not have to know how work a phone to use it. Just dial. Same for co
... See more
I have windows XP installed since three years and it did not crah once or has given me others problems what so ever.

Always starting when I open it, on hold or hibernating when closed, my computer never gave me a problem of OS.

And about the colourful and the wizards, it has been made with people like me in mind, just want to use the comp and it solves the problem itself. It is like a telephone, you do not have to know how work a phone to use it. Just dial. Same for comp.
Collapse

Lorenzo Lilli
Lorenzo Lilli  Identity Verified
German to Italian
+ ...
My opinion Feb 17, 2004

Hi,
my opinion about Mac vs. Windows (FWIW, I use both but I'm a little bit of a dummy ): I think it depends on what you do, that is on which programs you and your clients use (eg CAT tools, which btw I don't use). I've been using both Mac and PC for 3 years: never had a problem with Mac (a G3 and then an iMac, but I must say I don't use it as often as my PC), and I sometimes had problems with PC. However that was mainly wit
... See more
Hi,
my opinion about Mac vs. Windows (FWIW, I use both but I'm a little bit of a dummy ): I think it depends on what you do, that is on which programs you and your clients use (eg CAT tools, which btw I don't use). I've been using both Mac and PC for 3 years: never had a problem with Mac (a G3 and then an iMac, but I must say I don't use it as often as my PC), and I sometimes had problems with PC. However that was mainly with Win98: I've been using Win XP for some months and I sometimes have just minor problems; I also used Win NT for 6 months and found it just perfect. So I would say Windows has improved in the last few years. I read an interesting and really funny book about the struggle Mac vs PC: (to give you an idea: http://www.techsoc.com/mactruth.htm, http://www.macmerc.com/reviews.php?op=showcontent&id=13). The author is a Mac freak and doesn't even pretend to be impartial, but it can give you food for thought. Good luck!
Collapse

Sergei Tumanov
Sergei Tumanov  Identity Verified
Local time: 14:20
English to Russian
+ ...
it is a ME problem Feb 17, 2004

it is even better to return to 98.

Sarah Downing
Sarah Downing  Identity Verified
Local time: 08:20
German to English
+ ...
Mac is, in my humble opinion, more reliable, but ... Feb 23, 2004

... it has a lot of compatability problems, which is why I ended up buying a PC.

My first computer was an iMAC (Blueberry) and I also have a PC with XP. I have to admit that the iMAC and, in my opinion, iMACs in general are a damned sight more attractive than PCs, but that's just by the by.

When using my IMAC I hardly ever had problems with it crashing, which of course is very important for those who work with computers day in day out. I've got a few "MAC experts" as fr
... See more
... it has a lot of compatability problems, which is why I ended up buying a PC.

My first computer was an iMAC (Blueberry) and I also have a PC with XP. I have to admit that the iMAC and, in my opinion, iMACs in general are a damned sight more attractive than PCs, but that's just by the by.

When using my IMAC I hardly ever had problems with it crashing, which of course is very important for those who work with computers day in day out. I've got a few "MAC experts" as friends, who also mentioned that hardly any viruses are developed for Macs, so they're "safer" in that respect, too.

However, for me the main problem was that Macs are simply not compatible with a great deal of software that I use. I have a whole library of CD dictionaries, but only a limited amount could be used on the MAC. I tried VirtualPC (a PC-simulator), but I have to say that it slowed me down big time. I had to use it when relying on an SAP glossary for one particular translation and, to be quite honest, it was a bit of a nightmare and kind of put me off using it again.

My other big problem with MAC and one worth taking into account if you're not exactly a computer whizz kid - there are just too few people out there who really have any idea about MAC. If I have network or printing problems, I can usually find a friend to help me out when it comes to PC, but with MAC this has often proven to be a big hassle.

The flip side of the coin, however, is that I am now working with Windows XP and I have to say that it's a whole lot better than what I used to work with, which was Windows 2K (it also very, very, very rarely crashes - once in a blue moon, perhaps) - I know that there are many people who like to sing the praises of 2K, but I'm not one of them, but then again problems with operating systems are often related to a computer's individual components - one computer's meat is another computers's poison;-)

Finally, I have heard from friends who are computer experts that Linux is absolutely brilliant, but unfortunately just not that compatible, so I'm not sure if it would be a good alternative for a translator.

I'm also curious about what became of Lindows - an O.S. that's supposed to be a cross between Windows and Linux - I heard about it once and then never again. Does anybody know anything about it?

I wish you lots of luck (because I know how darn frustrating it can be when your computer plays up)!

All the best,

Sarah
Collapse

Marc P (X)
German to English
+ ...
Lindows Feb 24, 2004

Sarah Downing wrote:

Finally, I have heard from friends who are computer experts that Linux is absolutely brilliant, but unfortunately just not that compatible.

I'm also curious about what became of Lindows - an O.S. that's supposed to be a cross between Windows and Linux - I heard about it once and then never again. Does anybody know anything about it?

See the "Linux Myths and FAQs" in the HowTos section.

Marc

Sarah Downing
German to English
+ ...
Where exactly? Feb 24, 2004

MarcPrior wrote:

See the "Linux Myths and FAQs" in the HowTos section.

I assume these myths and facts are related to Lindows? I've tried looking on the linux website www.linux.com, but I'm still not sure where you mean - I found the howtos, but not the myths and facts. Can you elucidate?

Marc P (X)
German to English
+ ...
HowTos Feb 24, 2004

Sarah Downing wrote:

I assume these myths and facts are related to Lindows? I've tried looking on the linux website www.linux.com, but I'm still not sure where you mean - I found the howtos, but not the myths and facts. Can you elucidate?

The "Linux Myths and FAQs HowTo" is here on ProZ:

www.proz.com/howto

There is no Linux web site as such. "Linux" isn't a company. More a state of mind.

Marc

Sarah Downing
German to English
+ ...
Thanks for the tip, Marc ... Feb 25, 2004

It was a very interesting read. Some of the reasons you listed are some of the reasons why I've decided not to use Linux - it is not compatible with a lot of CD dictionaries and not 100%-compatible with Microsoft Office. I've heard about Open Office from many computer friends, but have been told that it is not yet that enhanced, but is likely to be so in a few years time.

Don't get me wrong, however: I didn't want to slag Linux off, because I've heard a lot of good things about it -
... See more
It was a very interesting read. Some of the reasons you listed are some of the reasons why I've decided not to use Linux - it is not compatible with a lot of CD dictionaries and not 100%-compatible with Microsoft Office. I've heard about Open Office from many computer friends, but have been told that it is not yet that enhanced, but is likely to be so in a few years time.

Don't get me wrong, however: I didn't want to slag Linux off, because I've heard a lot of good things about it - I know people who only use Linux, because they say it is a lot better and a lot more reliable. A Chemist friend of mine prefers to use Latex on Linux to write his publications, because it appears to be a lot more advanced than MS Word ...

Have a nice day!

Sarah
Collapse

Marc P (X)
German to English
+ ...
Linux etc. Feb 25, 2004

Sarah,

Don't believe everything you hear.

If you get the chance, try Linux for yourself.

Marc

Sarah Downing
German to English
+ ...
Thanks for your tips Marc Feb 26, 2004

Sarah,

Thanks for your tips Marc.

Don't worry, I don't believe everything I hear, but in this case the information I got on Linux was from good friends who work in the computer industry and are also big Linux fans (I guess nothing's perfect). It wouldn't do for my everyday work - I've just got too m
... See more
Sarah,

Thanks for your tips Marc.

Don't worry, I don't believe everything I hear, but in this case the information I got on Linux was from good friends who work in the computer industry and are also big Linux fans (I guess nothing's perfect). It wouldn't do for my everyday work - I've just got too many CD dictionaries, but I would be interested in trying it. I'm pretty open-minded when it comes to Software - as I said, I also have a MAC
Collapse

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Thinking of switching to Mac - any advice or feedback please?

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »