Thread poster: Ambrose Li
Ambrose Li
Ambrose Li  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 21:52
English
+ ...
Feb 1, 2011

When I watch Flash videos (e.g., the videos on ProZ, or on YouTube), the sound will suddenly go mute after a few minutes into the video. Once the sound gets muted, the only way to get sound back is to stop the video, reload the page, and replay it; so I never get to hear any sound in any video beyond the first few minutes.

I wonder if anyone has seen this problem before, or what is causing it or how to fix it. Thanks very much in advance!

I’m using Google Chrome on a
... See more
When I watch Flash videos (e.g., the videos on ProZ, or on YouTube), the sound will suddenly go mute after a few minutes into the video. Once the sound gets muted, the only way to get sound back is to stop the video, reload the page, and replay it; so I never get to hear any sound in any video beyond the first few minutes.

I wonder if anyone has seen this problem before, or what is causing it or how to fix it. Thanks very much in advance!

I’m using Google Chrome on a Macbook running 10.6, in case any of these rings a bell.
Collapse

Laurent KRAULAND (X)
Laurent KRAULAND (X)  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 02:52
French to German
+ ...
What about other browsers? Feb 2, 2011

Hello Ambrose,
what about other browsers?
I don't use Chrome for different reasons and things go well with iCab, Safari and Opera.

Ambrose Li
Ambrose Li  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 21:52
English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
results with other browsers Feb 2, 2011

Hi Laurent,

I tried a few other browsers (with a non-ProZ video):
– On Firefox, the audio got muted after about 3 minutes
– On Safari, the video remained blank throughout, and the audio got muted after about 6 minutes
– Opera seems to play the video fine

I never thought that the browser would make such a difference. I thought that since Flash is a plug-in it should work about the same in all browsers. I obviously was mistaken. Hopefully Opera wil
... See more
Hi Laurent,

I tried a few other browsers (with a non-ProZ video):
– On Firefox, the audio got muted after about 3 minutes
– On Safari, the video remained blank throughout, and the audio got muted after about 6 minutes
– Opera seems to play the video fine

I never thought that the browser would make such a difference. I thought that since Flash is a plug-in it should work about the same in all browsers. I obviously was mistaken. Hopefully Opera will run fine for other videos.

(I also managed to finish watching a short ProZ video yesterday, with a “trick” (suspending and resuming my computer)—this seems to imply a hardware problem, but this is a problem I don’t remember having before I upgraded to 10.6.)

Thanks for the suggestion!
Collapse

FarkasAndras
FarkasAndras  Identity Verified
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Flash - OS X Feb 2, 2011

OS X has pretty poor support for Flash. Basically, Apple hates flash and doesn't help Adobe much in creating a good flash plugin for its OS. It's a small market anyway, so there is a limit as to the amount of resources Adobe is willing to sink into this.
Make sure you have the latest updte of the flash plugin, maybe this bug has already been fixed. Other than that, I'm not sure what you can do. If the problem occurs with Youtube videos and it doesn't occur with offline videos (DVDs, avi fi
... See more
OS X has pretty poor support for Flash. Basically, Apple hates flash and doesn't help Adobe much in creating a good flash plugin for its OS. It's a small market anyway, so there is a limit as to the amount of resources Adobe is willing to sink into this.
Make sure you have the latest updte of the flash plugin, maybe this bug has already been fixed. Other than that, I'm not sure what you can do. If the problem occurs with Youtube videos and it doesn't occur with offline videos (DVDs, avi files) then it's pretty much guaranteed that the culprit is the Flash plugin. You could try removing and reinstalling it, I guess, and you could try googling for a solution.
Collapse

Laurent KRAULAND (X)
Laurent KRAULAND (X)  Identity Verified
France
French to German
+ ...
Latest update Feb 3, 2011

The latest update for the OS X Flash plugin was made on November 12, 2010 as far as I know.

@ Ambrose (just in case): you will find the plugin by searching it through the Search function of your Applications folder.

Also: have you checked your versions of FF and Safari? I guess they are up to date, but it's worth checking anyway.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Sound problems with Flash videos

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »