Meeting place for all Mac users and would-be users!
Thread poster: Roberta Anderson
Roberta Anderson
Roberta Anderson  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 06:48
Member (2001)
English to Italian
+ ...
Mar 29, 2004

Welcome to our brand new Apple /Mac Support forum!

I trust this will become a pleasant and efficient meeting place for all Mac users and would-be users, where we can share our experiences, knowledge, joys and frustrations...

I'll start off by sharing with you a very special link, with plenty of useful information on how to
... See more

I trust this will become a pleasant and efficient meeting place for all Mac users and would-be users, where we can share our experiences, knowledge, joys and frustrations...

I'll start off by sharing with you a very special link, with plenty of useful information on how to revive an old Mac SE: http://home24.inet.tele.dk/ccadams/se/repair.html
(although mine is still patiently waiting in a corner of the bookshelf, waiting for the day I'll put into practice some of these remedies).

A warm Welcome to all, and a Thank You to Henry for opening this new forum!

Roberta
[Apple /Mac Support forum moderator]
Collapse

Maria Belarra
Maria Belarra  Identity Verified
Spain
French to Spanish
+ ...
At last Mar 29, 2004

A place where Windows users converted into Mac, Windows users longing for their old Mac or Mac freaks (we tend to be ) can meet, complain about our computers, complain abour other people's computers, boast about our last little gadget.. and above all, where we won't feel discriminated anymore!
... See more
A place where Windows users converted into Mac, Windows users longing for their old Mac or Mac freaks (we tend to be ) can meet, complain about our computers, complain abour other people's computers, boast about our last little gadget.. and above all, where we won't feel discriminated anymore!

Thanks for remembering us.

Maria
Collapse

Sheila Hardie
Sheila Hardie  Identity Verified
Spain
Catalan to English
+ ...
Great idea! Mar 29, 2004

Thanks Roberta - and Henry:-) It's a great idea.

Can I share a wee Mac-Kudoz frustration please? For the past couple of months I haven't been able to open any Kudoz questions when using Internet Explorer 5. When I click on the question on the home page and try and open it the little timer on my screen spins round and round and the computer tries in vain to open all the jpg files before finally giving up:-(

And then I give up too and have to reboot:-(

I'm
... See more
Thanks Roberta - and Henry:-) It's a great idea.

Can I share a wee Mac-Kudoz frustration please? For the past couple of months I haven't been able to open any Kudoz questions when using Internet Explorer 5. When I click on the question on the home page and try and open it the little timer on my screen spins round and round and the computer tries in vain to open all the jpg files before finally giving up:-(

And then I give up too and have to reboot:-(

I'm using a beautiful Mac PowerBook G4 with OS 9.1, by the way. If I use Netscape 4.7 I can open them without any problems. The thing is, IE is my default browser and I don't like Netscape so much. So, I must admit I haven't been answering many questions recently.

Have any other Mac users had this problem or am I the only one?

Thanks in advance:-)

Sheila

[Edited at 2004-03-29 21:59]
Collapse

Deborah Shannon
Deborah Shannon  Identity Verified
Germany
German to English
Yes, thanks for thinking about us Mar 29, 2004

What if it turned out we weren't such a tiny minority after all

Sheila, about the hanging of IE5:

Sheila Hardie wrote:

Have any other Mac users had this problem or am I the only one?

Thanks in advance:-)

Sheila

[Edited at 2004-03-29 21:59]

Yes, I had the same problem too, but I've now upgraded to IE 5.1.7 and it seems to have done some good - free download from:
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=295f0285-13b4-4d7f-a9c0-9366f2366e31&DisplayLang=en

Hopefully that will get you back into the Kudoz fray forthwith!

All the best, Deborah

Martin Schmurr
Martin Schmurr  Identity Verified
Italian to German
My problems are that in "Panther" Mar 30, 2004

nobody knows how to print a document,
nobody knows how to use Outlook,
you cannot assign tasks to the function keys,
to connect to another computer you always have to write its name over that of your own,
"Revolution" takes 2 minutes to open and 2 minutes to save.
Just a few...
Martin

Sheila Hardie
Spain
Catalan to English
+ ...
IE 5.1.7 Mar 30, 2004

Thanks Deborah:-) It worked! I downloaded the upgrade to IE 5.1.7 and can now access the Kudoz questions without any problems! Brilliant:-)

Thanks again,

Sheila

Roberta Anderson
Italy
Member (2001)
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
new issues as new topics Mar 30, 2004

I'm happy this forum is already proving useful!

Can I just remind everyone to post any issues as "new topics" within this forum, rather than adding them to this "welcome" thread? This way it will be easier to find them and look them up again in future.

Thank you all!
Roberta

juanjorque
juanjorque

Spanish to French
+ ...
Merci beacoup, muchas gracias Apr 1, 2004

Thanks for opening this mac user forum.

I have a tangerine ibook, with 320 mb of memory and 300mhz and it run under jaguar 10.2.8.

More of the time I use Safari and I don't have problems with kudoz question. I have word x and it work pretty good.

I hope this forum will be very helpfull for us in any technical problem with Word X or others little things.

Thanks You very much for your initiative

Juan

Emmanuelle Riffault
Emmanuelle Riffault  Identity Verified
Australia
Local time: 15:48
Member (2004)
German to French
+ ...
;O) Apr 14, 2004

Roberta Anderson wrote:

Roberta
[Apple /Mac Support forum moderator]

Just thank you for opening this new forum !
Now I have the feeling I am not an alien after all
Emmanuelle

Terry Ogborn
Terry Ogborn  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 01:48
Spanish to English
+ ...
Oh, so there are Mac people in the translating biz!! Apr 20, 2004

I'm new to freelancing and new to Macs (my PC gave up the ghost and I'm "sharing" my partner's Mac) - so I am not only starting a new business venture, I'm trying to do it with a still-foreign machine!

I was becoming rather worried about using a Mac since "all" the software seems to be PC-oriented. It's encouraging to know that Mac-using (and loving) translators do exist out there. Maybe I will stick with it for a while and give it a chance.

Cabotine (X)
Cabotine (X)
English to French
+ ...
Mozilla May 1, 2004

Hello Sheila,

Yes I've got the same trouble on my Macintosh G4 running 9.1 I had to reboot it each time I used Outlook Express linked with IE5.
So I'm now using Mozilla and very happy about it : all my acrobat reader trouble have disappeared as well.
Cabotine/Emma

Can I share a wee Mac-Kudoz frustration please? For the past couple of months I haven't been able to open any Kudoz questions when using Internet Explorer 5. When I click on the que
... See more
Hello Sheila,

Yes I've got the same trouble on my Macintosh G4 running 9.1 I had to reboot it each time I used Outlook Express linked with IE5.
So I'm now using Mozilla and very happy about it : all my acrobat reader trouble have disappeared as well.
Cabotine/Emma

Collapse

Sheila Hardie
Spain
Catalan to English
+ ...
Mozilla May 2, 2004

Hi Emma,

Thant sounds great - I am still having problems, despite having upgraded my IE to version 5.1.7. These days I have to use Netscape for answering Kudoz questions and it is really slow and frustrating.

I am afraid I am not familiar with Mozilla - which version are you using? I found a long list of versions on this website: http://www.mozilla.org/releases/

I'
... See more
Hi Emma,

Thant sounds great - I am still having problems, despite having upgraded my IE to version 5.1.7. These days I have to use Netscape for answering Kudoz questions and it is really slow and frustrating.

I am afraid I am not familiar with Mozilla - which version are you using? I found a long list of versions on this website: http://www.mozilla.org/releases/

I'd love to be able to answer and open questions as before without any risk of my computer freezing up or having to resort to Netscape.

Thanks in advance,

Sheila
Cabotine wrote:

Hello Sheila,

Cabotine/Emma

[Edited at 2004-05-02 05:43]
Collapse

noborders (X)
noborders (X)
Korean to English
Mozilla, Firefox, Camino May 3, 2004

Sheila Hardie wrote:

Just go to http://www.mozilla.org and you should see the download links on that page. For Mozilla, you can choose either 1.7 RC1 or 1.6. There\'s also Camino and my favorite browser Firefox.

Roberta Anderson
Italy
Member (2001)
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Pls use separate threads for specific issues - Welcome thread now closed May 3, 2004

Can I just remind you all again to use/open specific threads/topics for specific issues?

This initial topic was really meant as a welcome message...

Having served its purpose, I am now closing it, and encourage you all to open new topics as necessary for further specific issues.

Thank you all for your enthusiasm and support!

Roberta

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Meeting place for all Mac users and would-be users!

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »