Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Trados on Mac (via parallels or boot camp)
Thread poster: Isadora MORA
Isadora MORA
Isadora MORA  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 06:10
English to Spanish
+ ...
Jul 18, 2011

Hello everyone:
I hope you are all doing great. A year ago I switched to Mac and must say I am very happy with my choice! Nevertheless, lately I have lost several job offers because I do not have Trados and the agencies would not accept me working with other CAT tool. Given that I need TRADOS to keep some clients (specially agencies) or increase my portfolio, I was wondering if I should install parallels or use boot camp to be able to install TRADOS on my Mac. But I am a little reticent to
... See more
Hello everyone:
I hope you are all doing great. A year ago I switched to Mac and must say I am very happy with my choice! Nevertheless, lately I have lost several job offers because I do not have Trados and the agencies would not accept me working with other CAT tool. Given that I need TRADOS to keep some clients (specially agencies) or increase my portfolio, I was wondering if I should install parallels or use boot camp to be able to install TRADOS on my Mac. But I am a little reticent to the idea of making my Mac work like a PC…why would I try to do that??? So I wonder, is there anyone who has gone through the same situation? Could I have the advice of those translators who use Mac and are using Trados on Mac? What are the advantages/disadvantages? What works best Parallels or Boot Camp? Is the performance of Mac affected by doing this partition (I think mainly on the speed)? How well does it work in the long term, meaning translating daily with Trados? I still have my old Toshiba (2007) and was also thinking on keeping it only to use Trados, but I am not happy with the idea, what happens if I need to travel (holiday or work) I am not going to carry two computers!!!! Please share some insight, I am deeply confused!!!!

Thanks in advance for your time!
Sincere regards,
Isadora
Collapse

Donata Gumiero
Donata Gumiero  Identity Verified
Local time: 13:10
German to Italian
+ ...
Trados on Mac works perfectly Jul 18, 2011

Dear Isadora,

don't worry about installing Windows on your Mac. I have an iMac with Windows 7 installed through Boot Camp and I can work perfectly using Trados almost every day. This partition doesn't affect in any ways your Mac performances. It's like having a PC (but better than a PC) when working through Windows and a Mac when working through the Mac system.

Believe me, it works really fine!

Have a nice day!
Donata

Joanna Wachowiak-Finlaison
United States
Local time: 07:10
English to Polish
+ ...
Yup, no problems Jul 18, 2011

I have Windows 7 with Trados on Parallells. The good thing about Parallels is that with the Coherence view you are basically working on Windows applications in Mac environment, you can even drag Windows apps to your Dock.

Isadora MORA
Mexico
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
advantages/disadvantages? Jul 18, 2011

Dear Donata:

Thank you kindly! Do you mind elaborating on the advantages/disadvantages of using Boot camp? See, if I decide to do that, I would love to make sure that I choose the right system. I understand there's boot camp and parallels. Since you're using the first, do you ming pondering on the above and telling me if there’s something you wish to improve on the system???
I hope this is not a hassle for you. I’m just very keen on making the right decision!
... See more
Dear Donata:

Thank you kindly! Do you mind elaborating on the advantages/disadvantages of using Boot camp? See, if I decide to do that, I would love to make sure that I choose the right system. I understand there's boot camp and parallels. Since you're using the first, do you ming pondering on the above and telling me if there’s something you wish to improve on the system???
I hope this is not a hassle for you. I’m just very keen on making the right decision!

Best wishes,
Isadora
Collapse

Isadora MORA
Mexico
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Dear Joanna Jul 18, 2011

Thank you very much for your response! It's very encouraging to hear that Parallels work perfectly! Could I then ask you why did you choose Parallels over Boot Camp? I’m trying to make the best decision.

Thanks!

United States
Local time: 07:10
English to Polish
+ ...
Convenience Jul 18, 2011

While BootCamp is free and included in your OS, it requires you to choose which system you want to work on. Parallels lets you work on both Windows and Mac at the same time.

[Edited at 2011-07-18 15:46 GMT]

Donata Gumiero
Donata Gumiero  Identity Verified
Local time: 13:10
German to Italian
+ ...
Boot Camp vs Parallels Jul 18, 2011

Isadora MORA wrote:

Dear Donata:

Best wishes,
Isadora

Dear Isadora,

at the beginning I had installed Windows through Parallels, and as told by Joanna you can use both systems at the same time, as Parallels opens Windows in a separate "window" and you don't need to decide whether to open one system or the other one, but I had some problems with it. Perhaps it didn't depend on Parallels, but for example I installed a pair of licensed softwares and after a while I couldn't open them any more. I had to remove and reinstall them in order to make them work. Apart from this little problem I prefer to use only one system at a time, because I think that also my Mac performances are better in this way and the experience with both systems has proved me that it's more effective to work with one system at a time (in my opinion, of course!).

Boot Camp is included in your Mac and very easy to use. When you have finished working with Windows you only need to tell your system to reboot with Mac and in 30 seconds you are ready to work with the last one.

Sergei Tumanov
Sergei Tumanov  Identity Verified
Local time: 14:10
English to Russian
+ ...
parallels and trados Jul 18, 2011

Photobucket

[Edited at 2011-07-19 00:07 GMT]

Isadora MORA
Mexico
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
To you all Jul 18, 2011

Thank you indeed for your feedback! I guess I have a lot of questions then. For instance, what happens when you need to download software/applications only compatible with PC? A potential client is asking me to install VPN Client 5.0 – to have access to its internal web. Would this work with both Boot Camp and Parallels? As I understand they use online TRADOS for their project. How does this work when you partition a Mac or virtually install windows on Mac? I hope you are still interested in t... See more
Thank you indeed for your feedback! I guess I have a lot of questions then. For instance, what happens when you need to download software/applications only compatible with PC? A potential client is asking me to install VPN Client 5.0 – to have access to its internal web. Would this work with both Boot Camp and Parallels? As I understand they use online TRADOS for their project. How does this work when you partition a Mac or virtually install windows on Mac? I hope you are still interested in the feedback!

Best,
Isadora
Collapse

Sergei Tumanov
English to Russian
+ ...
nothing special Jul 18, 2011

Isadora MORA wrote:

Thank you indeed for your feedback! I guess I have a lot of questions then. For instance, what happens when you need to download software/applications only compatible with PC?

1. A file is downloaded either in Mac or PC environment and saved on the hard drive.
2. The file is installed in PC environment.
PUNTO Y FIN

[Edited at 2011-07-18 19:07 GMT]

Julie Dion (X)
Julie Dion (X)  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 08:10
English to French
Fusion/Parallel/Boot Camp Jul 18, 2011

Hi Isadora,

My setup is OS X, VMWare Fusion, Windows 7, Studio 2009. It works perfectly but you have to have a powerful Mac (lots of RAM - 4GB).

With Boot Camp, you need to "turn off" your mac every time you want to boot into the Windows partition. And when you are done, you turn off the Windows system and boot again into OS X. Not a good idea. I tried it.

Get Fusion or Parallel to work with Studio/Trados and use your mac for Web searches and storing the fi
... See more
Hi Isadora,

My setup is OS X, VMWare Fusion, Windows 7, Studio 2009. It works perfectly but you have to have a powerful Mac (lots of RAM - 4GB).

With Boot Camp, you need to "turn off" your mac every time you want to boot into the Windows partition. And when you are done, you turn off the Windows system and boot again into OS X. Not a good idea. I tried it.

Get Fusion or Parallel to work with Studio/Trados and use your mac for Web searches and storing the files you work on and everything else. Windows will sit in its own "window" like any other Mac software. If you want, you can use Windows full screen and the Mac disappears behind it, until you hit the minimize button. This virtual machine works EXACTLY like a Windows PC: Internet connection, printer, etc. You can install anything on it. Including a VPN. Same with Boot Camp, but switching between OSs is a pain and a waste of time.

I only have a few pieces of software in my windows 7 virtual machine : Trados/Studio and MS Office. EVERYTHING else is on the Mac side, working files, dictionaries, etc. That way I don't lose the Mac experience

At times, I'll work with two monitors: one showing the Windows window and one showing the OS X setup.

Good luck.

Julie
Collapse

Isadora MORA
Mexico
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Julie Jul 18, 2011

For that useful information. I am aware that I have to push my macbook to have 4 GB. I have no problem with that. I guess I just need to follow your steps guys, see it with my own eyes!
Thank you all so very much!

Sergei Tumanov
English to Russian
+ ...
4GB RAM Jul 18, 2011

is a must for ANY computer with Windows 7

BUT DO YOU REALLY NEED WINDOWS 7 INSTALLED ON THE PARALLELS DESKTOP (if the majority of software is on Mac side) -- THIS IS THE QUESTION!

I am (and my Mac) happy with Windows XP (for translation purposes) and 500 mb ram only (the system allocated ram for parallels desktop)

[Edited at 2011-07-18 20:39 GMT]

Let us not forget that we need Windows OS to be installed on Mac for working with Trados only.

[Ed
... See more
is a must for ANY computer with Windows 7

BUT DO YOU REALLY NEED WINDOWS 7 INSTALLED ON THE PARALLELS DESKTOP (if the majority of software is on Mac side) -- THIS IS THE QUESTION!

I am (and my Mac) happy with Windows XP (for translation purposes) and 500 mb ram only (the system allocated ram for parallels desktop)

[Edited at 2011-07-18 20:39 GMT]

Let us not forget that we need Windows OS to be installed on Mac for working with Trados only.

[Edited at 2011-07-18 20:41 GMT]

[Edited at 2011-07-18 20:43 GMT]
Collapse

Stefano Nicola D'Amato (X)
Stefano Nicola D'Amato (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 08:10
Spanish to English
+ ...
Works great with Parallels! Jul 18, 2011

Hello, Isadora!

I own an iMac and I installed Parallels Desktop version 6.

I can tell you that I can run Trados Studio 2009 problem-free.

As far as Bootcamp goes, it is an option.
Your Mac will use less resources if you are only running one operating system at a time.
This is great if I want to play SimCity Rush Hour (for Windows).

If you generally want to work in a Mac environment then I would suggest Parallels. For example, I have
... See more
Hello, Isadora!

I own an iMac and I installed Parallels Desktop version 6.

I can tell you that I can run Trados Studio 2009 problem-free.

As far as Bootcamp goes, it is an option.
Your Mac will use less resources if you are only running one operating system at a time.
This is great if I want to play SimCity Rush Hour (for Windows).

If you generally want to work in a Mac environment then I would suggest Parallels. For example, I have many electronic dictionaries that I purchased that are only available for MAC. If I didn't have Parallels and wanted to quickly look up something in the Oxford Spanish-English Dictionary, for example, I'd have to reboot while pressing the OPTION key to run Windows. You can imagine how time-consuming this can be.

Of course, the choice is yours. I only switched to Mac in March 2010 but I really love my Mac.
The downside is the lack of availability of software available for Mac.

If you do install Windows using Parallels, make sure that you allocate enough space for the Windows partition. Don't just go with the default. If I'm not mistaken you cannot later decide you need more space and simply change the configuration.

I know there are other programs available that run virtual machines like Parallels, but I've only used Parallels.

Good luck.
Collapse

Isadora MORA
Mexico
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Summing up Jul 18, 2011

So to sum up:
1) Make sure my mac has at least 4GB on RAM.
2) Choose between Boot Camp and Parallels...or other options. If I choose parallels, then I need to choose the version that suits the better the windows version, or the other way around.
3) Choose the right windows version and the right office version.
4) Inastall Trados SDL on the Windows side

And that's all?

Wow. Need to get hands on work.

Thank you all so much!
... See more
So to sum up:
1) Make sure my mac has at least 4GB on RAM.
2) Choose between Boot Camp and Parallels...or other options. If I choose parallels, then I need to choose the version that suits the better the windows version, or the other way around.
3) Choose the right windows version and the right office version.
4) Inastall Trados SDL on the Windows side

And that's all?

Wow. Need to get hands on work.

Thank you all so much!

Isadora
Collapse

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Trados on Mac (via parallels or boot camp)

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »