Thread poster: francesca tambara
francesca tambara
francesca tambara  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 04:02
Arabic to Italian
+ ...
Sep 24, 2011

Good afternoon to everyone, i am a begginer in translation, i was looking for a program that is compatible with MAC OS LION new version 10.7, i heard about a lot of TRADOS and DEJA VU and other name of software, i would like an advice from who is more expert than me.Thanks
Have a nice day
Francesca

Paula Hernández
Paula Hernández
United Kingdom
Local time: 03:02
English to Spanish
+ ...
You need Sep 24, 2011

napirai wrote:

Good afternoon to everyone, i am a begginer in translation, i was looking for a program that is compatible with MAC OS LION new version 10.7, i heard about a lot of TRADOS and DEJA VU and other name of software, i would like an advice from who is more expert than me.Thanks
Have a nice day
Francesca

Hi Francesca, I don't know about Deja Vu, but Trados or MemoQ are not compatible with Mac, so you need to have installed a parallel environment, like parallels or VMware Fusion. Then you install Windows on the parallel environment and Trados or whatever CAT tool you want.

Hope this helps.

Paula

Joakim Braun
Joakim Braun  Identity Verified
Sweden
German to Swedish
+ ...
[Aside:] Xoterm Sep 24, 2011

This is not what you want... but perhaps useful anyway.
I've written a TMX viewer for MacOS: jfbraun.com/xoterm.

(It's a reference tool leveraging existing translation memories, not a full-featured editing environment.)

Boris Matveev
Boris Matveev
Russian Federation
Local time: 05:02
English to Russian
retain pc Sep 25, 2011

Mac is excellent machine, but I have to retain my PC for Trados. I don't trust to Window-emulated environment on Mac...

Wolfgang Schoene
Wolfgang Schoene  Identity Verified
France
Member (2007)
English to German
+ ...
Retain pc Sep 25, 2011

Mind you, Windows is not emulated but virtualized. And considering the considerable amount of translators using Windows virtualization on a Mac it can't be so bad. I for my part am very satisfied with my Mac (have bought two the very minute the first Mac with an Intel processor was out) and would never consider working on a PC again.

Kind regards
Wolfgang

Wolfgang Schoene
France
Member (2007)
English to German
+ ...
Trados or DéjaVu for Mac Sep 25, 2011

Hi Francesca,
no, there's no Trados or DV or MemoQ for the Mac, alas. But there are alternatives, Wordfast for instance (a bit fiddly though), Heartsome Suite, Swordfish and Cafetran. If you need to work with Trados, you either have to go for a PC or run Windows in a virtualized environment, that is under Parallels or VMFusion (yes I know there are other VPs, but these two are the most popular and best performing).

Best
Wolfgang

francesca tambara
Spain
Arabic to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Trados or DéjaVu for Mac? Sep 25, 2011

Thanks to everybody for the help; during my research about a program for Mac i find out that i can use WORDFAST, i listen that isn't a bad program, someone is using it?
Thanks Francesca

Paula Hernández
Paula Hernández
United Kingdom
English to Spanish
+ ...
well Sep 25, 2011

bmatveev wrote:

Mac is excellent machine, but I have to retain my PC for Trados. I don't trust to Window-emulated environment on Mac...

I have to say that I have been working on Mac, with a virtual machine for windows, for a few months now and it works perfectly! I even took my 24" iMac for my three week holiday because I did not want to work on my PC laptop!

francesca tambara
Spain
Arabic to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
well Sep 25, 2011

I have to say that I have been working on Mac, with a virtual machine for windows, for a few months now and it works perfectly! I even took my 24" iMac for my three week holiday because I did not want to work on my PC laptop!

Which program do you use? Parallel, vmware fusion?
Which one? Because i was checking about vmware and it said give some problems.

Wolfgang Schoene
France
Member (2007)
English to German
+ ...
Well Sep 25, 2011

I started with Parallels in 2007 and switched to VMFusion about 6 months ago, now am back to Parallels 7 which is really great. Creates his own Parallels desktop side to side to the Mac desktop and with a 3 finger gesture on the pad you change from one to the other.

Wolfgang

Paula Hernández
Paula Hernández
United Kingdom
English to Spanish
+ ...
. Sep 25, 2011

I tried parallels and did not like it (can't remember why). Now I am using VMware Fusion and it works perfectly. Though I did add 2GB of RAM to make it go a little faster.

And I use Trados 7, SDL 2009, MemoQ, Transit and Across, all of them work great.

Wolfgang Schoene
France
Member (2007)
English to German
+ ...
Well Sep 26, 2011

Paula Hernández wrote:

I tried parallels and did not like it (can't remember why). Now I am using VMware Fusion and it works perfectly. Though I did add 2GB of RAM to make it go a little faster.

And I use Trados 7, SDL 2009, MemoQ, Transit and Across, all of them work great.

I confirm, all programs run perfectly under VMFusion, excepted Translation Office 3000, and this may be a major drawback.

VIP9N
VIP9N
Local time: 05:02
Russian to English
+ ...
Boot Camp is the answer Sep 26, 2011

napirai wrote:
Which program do you use? Parallel, vmware fusion?
Which one? Because i was checking about vmware and it said give some problems.

If you have a Mac, you can install Bootcamp (http://www.apple.com/support/bootcamp/) - officially supported software from Apple - and, then, install Windows. Therefore, your Mac will boot like a standard Windows PC, where you are free to install any application from Windows world. No more fears of virtualization, just a normal Windows computer. The only drawback - if you need a MacOS environment, you have to spend time rebooting back to MacOS.

Annette Jara Matus geb. Canora
Annette Jara Matus geb. Canora  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2008)
German to Spanish
+ ...
Trados Suite 2009 in Mac with Winebottler? Oct 21, 2011

Has anybody tried to install Trados Suite 2009 in with through Winebottler?

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Trados or Deja Vu for Mac?

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »