Laurent KRAULAND (X)  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 16:30
French to German
+ ...
Oct 6, 2011

Copied from http://www.apple.com/stevejobs/

Steve Jobs 1955-2011

Apple has lost a visionary and creative genius, and the world has lost an amazing human being.
Those of us who have been fortunate enough to know and work with Steve have lost a dear friend and an inspiring mentor.
Steve leaves behind a company that only he could have built, and his spirit w
... See more
Copied from http://www.apple.com/stevejobs/

Steve Jobs 1955-2011

Apple has lost a visionary and creative genius, and the world has lost an amazing human being.
Those of us who have been fortunate enough to know and work with Steve have lost a dear friend and an inspiring mentor.
Steve leaves behind a company that only he could have built, and his spirit will forever be the foundation of Apple.

If you would like to share your thoughts, memories, and condolences, please email [email protected]
Collapse

Suzan Hamer
Suzan Hamer  Identity Verified
Netherlands
English
+ ...
Oct 6, 2011

Angie Garbarino
Angie Garbarino  Identity Verified
Member (2003)
French to Italian
+ ...
Thanks Laurent Oct 6, 2011

For your posting

P.L.F. Persio
P.L.F. Persio  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2010)
English to Italian
+ ...
An Apple a day... Oct 7, 2011

I've been a Mac user and fan for 17 of my 20+ years as a translator. I can't even imagine doing my job on anything else than my iMac.

Steve Jobs was certainly a great visionary and a genius, but he seemed to be a decent and good man too. He made our world a smarter, funnier, "user friendlier" place to live.

Rest in peace, Mr Jobs.

And thank you, Laurent, for your touching posting.

P.

texjax DDS PhD
texjax DDS PhD  Identity Verified
Local time: 11:30
Member (2006)
English to Italian
+ ...
The modified logo and other great images Oct 7, 2011

http://tinyurl.com/6cys7yx

http://tinyurl.com/3n329a5

http://tinyurl.com/3rjyw9s

Thank you Steve

Mario Chavez (X)
Mario Chavez (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 11:30
English to Spanish
+ ...
Steve Jobs, how his approach could benefit translators Oct 10, 2011

I was intensely touched by Steve Jobs' passing last week. It both seemed like yesterday and ages ago for some reason.

Many of us are consumers of Apple products: they're easy to use, well integrated, and beautiful. Even though I owned a 24-inch iMac until 2010 and now I have a 17-inch MacBook Pro, I would still love to have that Mac with the screen pivoting over what seems to be a half orange sitting on the desktop. Superb design.

Jobs' perfectionism for design in his p
... See more
I was intensely touched by Steve Jobs' passing last week. It both seemed like yesterday and ages ago for some reason.

Many of us are consumers of Apple products: they're easy to use, well integrated, and beautiful. Even though I owned a 24-inch iMac until 2010 and now I have a 17-inch MacBook Pro, I would still love to have that Mac with the screen pivoting over what seems to be a half orange sitting on the desktop. Superb design.

Jobs' perfectionism for design in his products and software is driving me to think about how his example can influence the way we do and see our translations. For years, I've realized that translation is more than just words and punctuation. The message is what's visually available to the user or reader.
Collapse

Laurent KRAULAND (X)
Laurent KRAULAND (X)  Identity Verified
France
French to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Sharing my thoughts Oct 16, 2011

I am a full-time translator.

Back at the beginning of 2009, a client wanted me to translate a Mac application and made arrangements for me to use a MacBook Pro.

Although I was rather unfamiliar with the Apple technology and interface at that time, I was stunned that the MBP could be used for hours on end without any freezing, crashing or any other problem.

Then, in August 2009, a CAT (Computer-Assisted Translation) publisher announced a new version of its W
... See more
I am a full-time translator.

Back at the beginning of 2009, a client wanted me to translate a Mac application and made arrangements for me to use a MacBook Pro.

Although I was rather unfamiliar with the Apple technology and interface at that time, I was stunned that the MBP could be used for hours on end without any freezing, crashing or any other problem.

Then, in August 2009, a CAT (Computer-Assisted Translation) publisher announced a new version of its Windows-only software.

The software was expensive, and I had enough of my Windows Vista machine. I could not see myself giving me headaches and desperation attacks anymore.

"Time for a Mac", I thought.

And I bought one, an iMac 24" early 2009.

The delivery was swift, the initial booting easy and the overall operation really smooth and straightforward. I even managed to purchase a Java-based CAT tool working on the Mac!

And then I began discovering the man behind the Apple brand: Steve Jobs.

I cannot say how many times I have watched videos featuring Steve on YouTube, how much information I collected about him, his ideas, and his products.

As the home page of Apple says, "Steve leaves behind a company that only he could have built, and his spirit will forever be the foundation of Apple."

There is so much more in Apple as only electronic devices or programmes: there is somewhat the vision of a world in which people are allowed and even encouraged to "Think different".

I started realising this back in August 2009, and the way in which I now work is radically different from my past methods.

Not only is my work at the computer much easier. I feel Steve, his philosophy, and his products inspired me in finding new ways to work.

Thank you Steve, thank you all the wonderful people at Apple Inc. Cupertino and all over the world.

PS: And... I nearly forgot to say how much time I spend with my iMac composing and recomposing music with GarageBand!
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Steve Jobs 1955-2011

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »