Emmanuelle Riffault  Identity Verified
Australia
Local time: 21:11
Member (2004)
German to French
+ ...
May 26, 2004

Hello!
Does anybody know and use a software which can counts words, lines etc. in pdf and ppt files?
I have read some indications for such a software for Windows and I wonder if there's one for Mac users as well.

Thanks a lot!

Emmanuelle

[Edited at 2004-05-26 09:27]

Ken Cox
Ken Cox  Identity Verified
Local time: 13:11
German to English
+ ...
not that I know of, but... May 26, 2004

I love the MacOS (although Windows 2000/XP are finally in the same league), but the translation world doesn't, so translation-related applications for the Mac are hard to find.

That aside, the only way I know to do word counts for pdf files is to extract the text (using copy & paste or an extraction or OCR program) and put it in a Word document. Maybe Acrobat (the full version,not the Reader) can do direct word counts; I don't know.

For ppt files, just use File/Propert
... See more
I love the MacOS (although Windows 2000/XP are finally in the same league), but the translation world doesn't, so translation-related applications for the Mac are hard to find.

That aside, the only way I know to do word counts for pdf files is to extract the text (using copy & paste or an extraction or OCR program) and put it in a Word document. Maybe Acrobat (the full version,not the Reader) can do direct word counts; I don't know.

For ppt files, just use File/Properties to obtain the word count generated by PowerPoint (which incidentally is what the Windows-based PractiCount program says it does).

good luck -- ken

[Edited at 2004-05-26 09:35]
Collapse

Emmanuelle Riffault
Australia
Member (2004)
German to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Ken May 26, 2004

Kenneth Cox wrote:

I also extract the text from a pdf document into word for couting (or OCR if needed). I now have full Acrobat but haven't tried yet if it can count now

Kenneth Cox wrote:
For ppt files, just use File/Properties to obtain the word count generated by PowerPoint

Well, thank you for that. I didn't know this possibility.

Have a nice day!

Emmanuelle

Roberta Anderson
Roberta Anderson  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2001)
English to Italian
+ ...
abracompteur plug-in May 26, 2004

For counting words in PDFs, you might want to check this one out:
http://www.abracadabrapdf.net/pages/fr/abracompteur

Free JavaScript plug-in, for Acrobat Reader or Acrobat full, version 5 and 6, for Mac, Unix and Win.

I have actually found a discrepancy between the wordcount I get with this one and what I get on the same file with PDFCount on the PC (PD
... See more
For counting words in PDFs, you might want to check this one out:
http://www.abracadabrapdf.net/pages/fr/abracompteur

Free JavaScript plug-in, for Acrobat Reader or Acrobat full, version 5 and 6, for Mac, Unix and Win.

I have actually found a discrepancy between the wordcount I get with this one and what I get on the same file with PDFCount on the PC (PDFCount is not available for Mac):
a 10 pp file gives me 6616 words with abracompteur, 6426 with PDFCounter, while the same files exported from PDF as a Word file gives me 5736 words in Word...

I'd expect the pdf wordcounters probably count the various headers/footers on each page, while Word may leave them out; also the PDF has bookmarks, which may account for a few more words. Also in this particular file the PDF had some text in coloured boxes, which got saved as images in the doc file, so not counted in Word - which would account in my case for at least 500 uncounted words.

When I do not get a wordcount supplied by the client, I usually give him the wordcount I got mentioning the method or tool used, right at the onset - so as to avoid any quibbles at invoice stage.

ciao,
Roberta
Collapse

Emmanuelle Riffault
Australia
Member (2004)
German to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Roberta... May 26, 2004

...for this very informative answer

I also always notice this kind of difference between Word and Wordfast for example.

Emmanuelle

Bennorca
Bennorca
English to German
Counting software for Mac May 31, 2004

Emanuelle,

Yes, you'll find counters for PowePoint on apluscounts.com.
I do not know, however, whether it works for OS X. I have it on a 9.3 version and it works fine.

I know that the version for WORD does not work with OS X - you will probably have to test the free demo version first.

Hope this helps.

Ben

Cynthia Hernandez
Cynthia Hernandez
United States
Local time: 07:11
English to Spanish
+ ...
How to convert pdf docs to Word using Readiris - in order to obtain a word count using a Mac. May 2, 2008

Open Readiris
In Settings, choose Word as Output Format
Open File - Make sure you are in Automatic Mode (Upper Left Corner)
Conversion is all automatic and produces an rtf file for Word
Save Window appears with suggested file name. Save in Folder desired.
Word will open automatically.
Go to Tools Menu and open Word Count.
Voila!

Cyndy

lisevs
lisevs
Any new counting tools for Mac OS X? Jan 15, 2012

Hi,

it has been a while since this thread was first started - maybe someone has found a good counting tool (like Anycount or PractiCount) that works on Mac OS X? - I need such a tool (or other suggestions on how to count severas word or excel files on Mac)

Thanks a lot in advance

Emmanuelle Riffault
Australia
Member (2004)
German to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Word Counter Jan 15, 2012

Hello Lise,
I've been using Word Counter for several years now. Maybe other programms appeared since on the market

Liebe Grüße

Emmanuelle

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Counting software for Mac

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »