Lydia Farago
Lydia Farago  Identity Verified
Switzerland
Local time: 16:27
English to German
+ ...
Feb 22, 2012

Hello everybody

Some time ago, I partitioned the hard disk of my iMac and installed Parallels and Windows XP in order to be able to use Trados. It works fine. Now, I'd like to upgrade to OS X Lion but fear that there might be trouble running Parallels and Windows. Has anybody upgraded to Lion with Parallels, Windows and Trados installed on Snow Leopard? And have you had any problems running the programmes after the upgrade?

I am grateful for all your advice.

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Local time: 15:27
Member (2008)
Italian to English
No Lion Feb 23, 2012

Lydia Farago wrote:

Hello everybody

Some time ago, I partitioned the hard disk of my iMac and installed Parallels and Windows XP in order to be able to use Trados. It works fine. Now, I'd like to upgrade to OS X Lion but fear that there might be trouble running Parallels and Windows. Has anybody upgraded to Lion with Parallels, Windows and Trados installed on Snow Leopard? And have you had any problems running the programmes after the upgrade?

I am grateful for all your advice.

Hi Lydia

Lion is a mess. Personally I would advise you to stay with Snow Leopard. If you want to know why/how it's a mess, you could regularly read the Lion discussion forums, here:

https://discussions.apple.com/community/mac_os/mac_os_x_v10.7_lion

Some people refer to Lion as "Apple's Vista". Anyway, Lion is already out of date and will be followed next summer by Mountain Lion.

Snow Leopard is an excellent OS. I struggled with Lion for a month and found that it was slowing me down and interfering with my workflow, so I went back to Snow Leopard. Fortunately that was easy because I had a complete bootable clone of my hard drive, on an external FireWire drive.

If you're using a Mac, whatever version of the OS you have, you should always have a complete bootable clone, regularly updated.

[Edited at 2012-02-23 08:13 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Upgrade to OS X Lion / Trados via Parallels

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »