Maja Źróbecka, MITI
Maja Źróbecka, MITI  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 22:38
English to Polish
+ ...
Mar 12, 2012

Dear all,

I work on a MacBookPro, have Parallels and until recently worked with Trados 2007. I never had any problems with it.
All files and TMs were stored on the Mac part of the drive, and I could access them no problem from Trados. I never stored any translation-related files on the C: drive.

Now, a couple of weeks ago I upgraded to Studio 2011 and my issues started. I noticed that I cannot keep any files used with Studio on the Mac part of the drive. Instead,
... See more
Dear all,

I work on a MacBookPro, have Parallels and until recently worked with Trados 2007. I never had any problems with it.
All files and TMs were stored on the Mac part of the drive, and I could access them no problem from Trados. I never stored any translation-related files on the C: drive.

Now, a couple of weeks ago I upgraded to Studio 2011 and my issues started. I noticed that I cannot keep any files used with Studio on the Mac part of the drive. Instead, I have to save everything to the C: drive, dedicated for Windows.

If I want to upgrade a TM I used with Trados 2007 and select the file saved on the Mac part of drive, I get the following message:

"Invalid URI: The hostname could not be parsed"

My question is whether anyone here experienced similar problems and/or how to solve them? I want to repeat that I was able to use files saved on the Mac drive with Trados 2007, but not Studio.

On Parallels, I have Win XP SP3, Office 2003.

Many thanks!
Maja
Collapse

Johan Kjallman
Johan Kjallman  Identity Verified
Member (2008)
English to Swedish
+ ...
better off using the Windows side Mar 12, 2012

Hi Maja,

I think it has to do with the way Studio and other Cat-tools of this generation accesses and updates the databases continuously while you move around in the translation grid, while Tag Editor only changes the files when you click on save (or something like that). AFAIK you can keep your source files, target files, exported tmx files etc. on the Mac side, but need to keep the project files (the databases that Studio creates for your source files) and other resources that Stu
... See more
Hi Maja,

I think it has to do with the way Studio and other Cat-tools of this generation accesses and updates the databases continuously while you move around in the translation grid, while Tag Editor only changes the files when you click on save (or something like that). AFAIK you can keep your source files, target files, exported tmx files etc. on the Mac side, but need to keep the project files (the databases that Studio creates for your source files) and other resources that Studio uses (TM:s, termbases etc.) on the local c: drive in order to guarantee stability, as the Mac side through Parallels is considered a network drive which causes instability. I speak mainly from a MemoQ point of view, but it should be the same for Studio I think (hardly use it).
I use Syncback SE to synchronise all these files every hour to my dropbox folder on the Mac side.

Kind regards,
Johan
Collapse

Maja Źróbecka, MITI
Poland
English to Polish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Hi Johan Mar 12, 2012

and thanks for your input. If this is the case with the new Studio, then it seems that the only sensible solution is to save all files on the C: drive. It would be too complicated to keep different files on different parts of the drive. This is really annoying to be honest with you as I will have to modify my folders' structure.

I was hoping there is an easier way to solve this issue

Maja

Johan Kjallman
Member (2008)
English to Swedish
+ ...
not necessarily everything on Win side Mar 12, 2012

Hi again,

it's not really as painstaking as it may seem, if you ask me. The downside is that you need you use up the double amount of disc space, unless you do your back ups directly from Windows. Make sure that the partitioned hard drive for Parallels is not to small.

I save all my incoming source files on the Mac side. Then, when I drag and drop them into my Cat tool, the software automatically creates the necessary databases on the Win side (I have created a c:/MemoQ
... See more
Hi again,

it's not really as painstaking as it may seem, if you ask me. The downside is that you need you use up the double amount of disc space, unless you do your back ups directly from Windows. Make sure that the partitioned hard drive for Parallels is not to small.

I save all my incoming source files on the Mac side. Then, when I drag and drop them into my Cat tool, the software automatically creates the necessary databases on the Win side (I have created a c:/MemoQ folder which I synchronise with the Mac side). I don't need to touch these files, they just work silently in the background and occupy space. When the translation is finished, my default export path is the same folder on the Mac side where the source files are located. So it's easy to drag and drop the files from there into Mail etc.
Hope that helps

BR/Johan
Collapse

Maja Źróbecka, MITI
Poland
English to Polish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I see your point now. Mar 12, 2012

Yes, it seems that the only disadvantage can be the amount of space taken. I currently have 4 GB RAM and this seems to suffice. Yet to open Studio, it can take some time and if I run other software, it becomes a bit slow. I have to re-think what is best for me.

A colleague for the Polish forum directed me to this:

"Re: Using Studio 2011 on Mac with Parallel desktop

Trados works fine within Parallels, but make sure you create a Bootcamp
partition and
... See more
Yes, it seems that the only disadvantage can be the amount of space taken. I currently have 4 GB RAM and this seems to suffice. Yet to open Studio, it can take some time and if I run other software, it becomes a bit slow. I have to re-think what is best for me.

A colleague for the Polish forum directed me to this:

"Re: Using Studio 2011 on Mac with Parallel desktop

Trados works fine within Parallels, but make sure you create a Bootcamp
partition and install all the Windows and Trados stuff on that, not on the main
drive, and get Parallels to use that partition. Sorry I'm a bit vague, but I had
someone do it for me (I can recommend someone in London). It's a matter of data
integrity in the event of a problem. Here are the outline instructions (thanks
to Edric Filho):

Create with BootCamp a real, not a virtual, Windows machine, install Windows,
Office and Trados/Studio, THEN reboot in OS X and, using Parallels, create a
virtual drive using the Windows partition.

DO NOT create a virtual HD with Windows from the Mac environment: make a
BootCamp Windows partition, install all Trados/Studio/Office things, reboot in
Snow Leopard and then you make Parallels use that partition as the virtual HD.

Fact is, Trados/Studio may present all kinds of problems inside a virtual
machine, and the Mac community should always have their /Parallels Windows
sessions based on an already-existing BootCamp HD. That works as a great
safeguard: if anything goes wrong in the virtual session, reboot in Windows and
everything should be OK.

Just go to Applications> Utilities> BootCamp Assistant and you'll be impressed
how easy everything is. For me, a decades Windows user, that simplicity was
amazing. Just follow the prompts: I suggest a 50-80 GB partition for all things
Windows...

After creating the partition, install Windows (you must have the original DVD).
Reboot in Windows, install all things, reboot again in OS X, go to Parallels and
allow it to create its virtual disk using the Windows partition.

If possible, go for Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit."

So there is yet another way of making things work more stable, but I would have to refurbish everything if I were to go with the above solution.

Do you have any views on the above?

Thanks
Maja
Collapse

Stephanie Busch
Stephanie Busch  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Previous forum thread Mar 12, 2012

Hi Maja,

you might like to have a look at this thread:

http://fra.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/178735-trados_2009_error:_invalid_uri:_the_hostname_could_not_be_parsed.html

Actually I remember having a similar problem when I installed Studio 2009 on my Mac in a Parallels Win
... See more
Hi Maja,

you might like to have a look at this thread:

http://fra.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/178735-trados_2009_error:_invalid_uri:_the_hostname_could_not_be_parsed.html

Actually I remember having a similar problem when I installed Studio 2009 on my Mac in a Parallels Windows 7 virtual machine.

What I did was to disable Shared Profiles on the Options tab in the virtual machine (Windows) configuration. Since then Studio has been running smoothly, though I can no longer access the C:/ folder from the Finder.

HTH!
Stephanie
Collapse

Johan Kjallman
Member (2008)
English to Swedish
+ ...
Stick with Parallels and upgrade RAM Mar 12, 2012

Hi again Maja,

IMHO Bootcamp is not really needed on fairly new and powerful Macs, as Windows can run very fast and stable in a virtual machine. Another huge con is that it doesn't allow you to use web browsers, mail, calendar, file handling etc on the Mac side while having translation software open in Windows. I'd rather upgrade the RAM memory if you experience performance issues. A word of advice, don't buy the extra RAM from an official Apple retailer, as the exact same memory (b
... See more
Hi again Maja,

IMHO Bootcamp is not really needed on fairly new and powerful Macs, as Windows can run very fast and stable in a virtual machine. Another huge con is that it doesn't allow you to use web browsers, mail, calendar, file handling etc on the Mac side while having translation software open in Windows. I'd rather upgrade the RAM memory if you experience performance issues. A word of advice, don't buy the extra RAM from an official Apple retailer, as the exact same memory (but with a small apple logo on it) can cost many times more. I upgraded my MB Pro memory from 4 to 8 GB for 40 euro (Kingston).

BR/Johan
Collapse

Maja Źróbecka, MITI
Poland
English to Polish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Disabling shared folders Mar 14, 2012

Stephanie Busch wrote:

What I did was to disable Shared Profiles on the Options tab in the virtual machine (Windows) configuration. Since then Studio has been running smoothly, though I can no longer access the C:/ folder from the Finder.

HTH!
Stephanie

Hi Stephanie,

I saw the message you quote when I started looking into the problem, but I would not want to disable anything, as I want to have access to everything from everywhere

I'd rather go with the solution Johan is suggesting, and have two folders or just save all to the C: drive. At least I know the reason for this error so many thanks to all your answers!

Maja

Johanna Liljenzin
Johanna Liljenzin  Identity Verified
Sweden
Member (2009)
English to Swedish
+ ...
Not longer necessary to save on the C: drive Mar 14, 2012

Maja,

Which version of Parallels do you run? In some older versions of Parallels it was necessary to store some files on the C:drive, but that's no longer the case with Parallels 7. These days I have full file sharing between my Mac and virtual PC, and I store everything - including TM:s and project folders - on the Mac side only. (This way I can access all files also when the virtual PC is turned off.)

If you already run Parallels 7 - do you have full file sharing turn
... See more
Maja,

Which version of Parallels do you run? In some older versions of Parallels it was necessary to store some files on the C:drive, but that's no longer the case with Parallels 7. These days I have full file sharing between my Mac and virtual PC, and I store everything - including TM:s and project folders - on the Mac side only. (This way I can access all files also when the virtual PC is turned off.)

If you already run Parallels 7 - do you have full file sharing turned on? If not, that could be the reason why you can't access your Mac files from the virtual PC.

Kind regards,
Johanna

[Edited at 2012-03-14 13:33 GMT]
Collapse

Maja Źróbecka, MITI
Poland
English to Polish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I did not think about it! Mar 14, 2012

Johanna Liljenzin wrote:

Maja,

Which version of Parallels do you run?

Johanna,

I am ashamed to admit that I use an archaic version of Parallels, namely 3.0. If this is working for you, then surely it must work for me too when I upgrade my soft!

I will try and do it today/tomorrow to see if it makes a difference!

Many thanks.
Maja

Johanna Liljenzin
Johanna Liljenzin  Identity Verified
Sweden
Member (2009)
English to Swedish
+ ...
Don't be embarrassed Maja! Mar 14, 2012

Maja,

There is no reason to be embarrassed for using old software - as long as everything works, there is no need to change just for the sake of it.

However, Parallels has really moved on from the early versions, and I think you will experience fewer problems with a newer version (6 or 7 are both good, in my opinion; version 5 gave me more trouble).

Kind regards,
Johanna

Maja Źróbecka, MITI
Poland
English to Polish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Bad news Mar 21, 2012

Johanna,

I have upgraded to Parallels version 7 and just tried to translate a document saved in the Mac environment, but unfortunately the error message showed again "Invalid URI: Host name could not be parsed".

To give you more background info: the TM and Termbase are saved in the Win environment and the .doc file in the Mac one. I now wonder if it can have anything to do with the fact that I use Office 2003? I am planning to upgrade this, too, but am not even sure if
... See more
Johanna,

I have upgraded to Parallels version 7 and just tried to translate a document saved in the Mac environment, but unfortunately the error message showed again "Invalid URI: Host name could not be parsed".

To give you more background info: the TM and Termbase are saved in the Win environment and the .doc file in the Mac one. I now wonder if it can have anything to do with the fact that I use Office 2003? I am planning to upgrade this, too, but am not even sure if this is going to help.

Maja
Collapse

Maja Źróbecka, MITI
Poland
English to Polish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Also Mar 21, 2012

When you go to Parallels/Devices/Sharing/Configure what settings do you have? I have:
Share folder: All disks
Shared profile: Unchecked
SmartMount: Checked

Share Windows:
Checked Access Windows folders from Mac
Checked Mount virtual disks to Mac desktop

Do you have the same?

Thank you.
Maja

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Studio 2011, Mac OS and error message

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »