Daniel Pestana  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 17:43
Member (2010)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Jun 19, 2012

Hi everyone,

A couple of months ago I bought an iPhone and was blown away, then I bought an iPad and again I was blown away, then, obviously I bought a Mac Since I'm still exploring the Apple world, I made a pretty good deal and bought an used Macbook Unibody with the following characteristics for 300 Euros:

Intel Core2Duo
2.4 GHZ
Memory: 4GB

Well, I don't understand why Trados do
... See more
Hi everyone,

A couple of months ago I bought an iPhone and was blown away, then I bought an iPad and again I was blown away, then, obviously I bought a Mac Since I'm still exploring the Apple world, I made a pretty good deal and bought an used Macbook Unibody with the following characteristics for 300 Euros:

Intel Core2Duo
2.4 GHZ
Memory: 4GB

Well, I don't understand why Trados doesn't launch a Mac version, but since there isn't any, I need your advice on what to install: Parallels or Boot Camp?
Did you experience any issues or is the Mac that amazing machine everyone talks about and runs everything without any problems? Is Windows on Mac fast and reliable? What's your experience with Trados running on the Windows side of Mac?

Many thanks in advance.
Kind regards.
Collapse

Paula Hernández
Paula Hernández
United Kingdom
English to Spanish
+ ...
VMWare Fusion Jun 19, 2012

I use VMWare Fusion, been using it for a couple of years now and it works great!

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Not Lion Jun 19, 2012

Until Lion came out, I would have highly recommended the Mac OS, but not any more.

You're doomed, Daniel. You have been ensnared by the Apple marketing strategy and have fallen for it hook, line, and sinker. Nobody will be able to help you. See this other thread (in Italian):

http://tinyurl.com/clbfk2t

ah- but wait- you've bought an old Mac, probably not with Lion. I hope
... See more
Until Lion came out, I would have highly recommended the Mac OS, but not any more.

You're doomed, Daniel. You have been ensnared by the Apple marketing strategy and have fallen for it hook, line, and sinker. Nobody will be able to help you. See this other thread (in Italian):

ah- but wait- you've bought an old Mac, probably not with Lion. I hope you also got the System Software DVD that should have come with the computer.

To run any virtualisation software such as VM Fusion or Parallels, you'll need to max out the RAM. 4GB won't be enough.

[Edited at 2012-06-19 09:59 GMT]
Collapse

Daniel Pestana
Portugal
Member (2010)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
My Italian is not that great anymore... but I guess you're being ironic :-) Jun 19, 2012

Tom in London wrote:

[Edited at 2012-06-19 09:46 GMT]

Hi Tom,

My Italian is not that great anymore (I learned it when I was a kid living in Switzerland)... but I guess you're being ironic, right? I still have my old Pentium IV with Trados 2007 8.0 as a fail safe machine... just in case... and a Compaq with Windows 7 and Trados Studio 2009 and Trados 2007 7.0, however, since I'm also a musician, and after recording on Studio on a Mac with Pro Tools, I just kept wondering: What would it be like to work on such a machine? That's why I bought such a cheap Mac, to test it. And to learn and develop some apps for the iPad and iPhone

Thanks

Daniel Pestana
Portugal
Member (2010)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Jun 19, 2012

Paula Hernández wrote:

I use VMWare Fusion, been using it for a couple of years now and it works great!

Thanks Paula. Seems like a great solution.

Best,
Daniel

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
I revised my post Jun 19, 2012

Daniel Pestana wrote:

Paula Hernández wrote:

Best,
Daniel

see above

Daniel Pestana
Portugal
Member (2010)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Tom Jun 19, 2012

Tom in London wrote:

Daniel Pestana wrote:

Paula Hernández wrote:

Best,
Daniel

see above

Thanks Tom. That's kind of strange, because I have two colleagues who are running Boot Camp and Parallels simultaneously on a Macbook Pro smoothly without any issues. They both have only 2 GB of RAM. I'm going to meet them now. Talk to you in about an hour or so. Many thanks for the precious help. Well, if I can't run Trados on it, I can always use it to record some tracks Who cares, right? It's such an awesome machine.

Aditya Ikhsan Prasiddha
Aditya Ikhsan Prasiddha  Identity Verified
Indonesia
Local time: 23:43
English to Indonesian
amazing price Jun 19, 2012

300 euros? that's amazing. I bought a used macbook, same specs as yours, 2 months ago for 680 euros (in my currency).

Daniel Pestana
Portugal
Member (2010)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Sweet deal, right? Jun 19, 2012

Aditya Ikhsan Prasiddha wrote:

300 euros? that's amazing. I bought a used macbook, same specs as yours, 2 months ago for 680 euros (in my currency).

Yes, I thought so too. A really sweet deal.

Stefano Papaleo
Stefano Papaleo  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 18:43
Member (2005)
English to Italian
+ ...
Virtualbox Jun 19, 2012

Olá Daniel!

Boot Camp & Parallels or VMware Fusion are certainly good options but since you've been able to get your hands on an old mac why not going the cheapest way once again and use a free alternative?

I've been using VirtualBox on both Linux and Mac for quite a while running Office and Trados on XP and it all works just fine. You even have easy embedded tools to share your Mac folders so you can wor
... See more
Olá Daniel!

Boot Camp & Parallels or VMware Fusion are certainly good options but since you've been able to get your hands on an old mac why not going the cheapest way once again and use a free alternative?

I've been using VirtualBox on both Linux and Mac for quite a while running Office and Trados on XP and it all works just fine. You even have easy embedded tools to share your Mac folders so you can work directly on your files on the Mac from the VM and copy & paste of text works both ways.

https://www.virtualbox.org/

4GB should be ok (even with the greedy, hungry Lion on it), I've worked even with less but if you can upgrade your RAM go for it!

Boa sorte!
Collapse

Daniel Pestana
Portugal
Member (2010)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Virtualbox Jun 19, 2012

Stefano Papaleo wrote:

Olá Daniel!

I've been using VirtualBox on both Linux and Mac for quite a while running Office and Trados on XP and it all works just fine. You even have easy embedded tools to share your Mac folders so you can work directly on your files on the Mac from the VM and copy & paste of text works both ways.

https://www.virtualbox.org/

4GB should be ok (even with the greedy, hungry Lion on it), I've worked even with less but if you can upgrade your RAM go for it!

Boa sorte!

Many thanks Stefano. Seems like a great option as well. If I see that using the Mac speeds up my work, I'll upgrade the RAM. It was so cheap that upgrading is not out of the question. 8 GB should be ok I think.

Again, thank you very much for your precious help

Wolfgang Schoene
Wolfgang Schoene  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 18:43
Member (2007)
English to German
+ ...
Parallels Jun 19, 2012

Hi
I'd say, go for Parallels (I have VMFusion, too, but as it has some compatibility problems that Parallels apparently does not have, I stick to Parallels).
With Boot Camp you will have to reboot everytime you want to use the Mac side of your Macbook whilst with Parallels you can "switch" seamlessly from Windoze to Mac OSX.
I use two monitors, the native 27" of my iMac and a 23" Cinema display from my former MacPro. Never had any problems with this setup both under SL or Lio
... See more
Hi
I'd say, go for Parallels (I have VMFusion, too, but as it has some compatibility problems that Parallels apparently does not have, I stick to Parallels).
With Boot Camp you will have to reboot everytime you want to use the Mac side of your Macbook whilst with Parallels you can "switch" seamlessly from Windoze to Mac OSX.
I use two monitors, the native 27" of my iMac and a 23" Cinema display from my former MacPro. Never had any problems with this setup both under SL or Lion. That gives me a 27+23" desktop which is very comfortable to work with.
Trados runs without problems on my iMac and your 4 gigs should be enough to run it on your Macbook (BTW, which version of Trados do you mean?).
The only problem I encountered is with Fusion where I cannot run Multiterm, that is, Multiterm pretends my termbases have been created with an unsupported version of MT. I could not solve the problem even with the help of SDL support and since formerly I had other problems with Fusion, maybe it's this virtualizer that is at the root of the problem.
No problems with Parallels, though, and exactly the same termbases. Go figure ...
Good decision to go Mac, I'd never go back although I use Windoze extensively.

Cheers
Wolfgang
Collapse

Daniel Pestana
Portugal
Member (2010)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Parallels Jun 19, 2012

Many thanks Wolfgang. I've seen Parallels working on my friends' Macs and it seems very very good. I didn't know we could use two monitors. That's fantastic! The reason I bought this Mac was to see if it's worth the investment, I mean, the iMac, the supreme machine I've always used Windows because of Trados compatibility, but I just had to try a Mac for myself to see if it's really that amazing machine they talk about. I guess I ... See more
Many thanks Wolfgang. I've seen Parallels working on my friends' Macs and it seems very very good. I didn't know we could use two monitors. That's fantastic! The reason I bought this Mac was to see if it's worth the investment, I mean, the iMac, the supreme machine I've always used Windows because of Trados compatibility, but I just had to try a Mac for myself to see if it's really that amazing machine they talk about. I guess I made a good decision

Thanks for the tips
Collapse

Meta Arkadia
Meta Arkadia
Local time: 23:43
English to Indonesian
+ ...
Or forget Windows altogether... Jun 19, 2012

and use a CAT tool for Mac. There a quite a few of them. I use CafeTran (http://cafetran4mac.blogspot.com). It can also handle Trados files. You're experimenting anyway, so why not?

Hans Lenting
Hans Lenting
Netherlands
Member (2006)
German to Dutch
Yes: CafeTran is very nice on a Mac Jun 20, 2012

Meta Arkadia wrote:

and use a CAT tool for Mac. There a quite a few of them. I use CafeTran (http://cafetran4mac.blogspot.com). It can also handle Trados files. You're experimenting anyway, so why not?

I have to agree with Hans vd B. on this one. CafeTran runs like a train, a Train à Grande Vitesse in fact, on a Mac: http://cafetran.wordpress.com for Mac users.

Hans

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Gone Mac! Need some help.

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »