Thread poster: Hans Lenting
Hans Lenting
Hans Lenting
Netherlands
Member (2006)
German to Dutch
Oct 14, 2012

Hi,

When I translate sdlxliff files on my MacBook Pro using CafeTran, the response of my CAT tool comes very fast, allowing me to be productive.

When I load the same sdlxliff file in Studio 2011, running in a Parallels VM, response is quite sluggish. Is this what I should expect or did I make a configuration error?

Here's my configuration:

MacBook Pro, 8 GB RAM, 500 GB HDD, Intel Core i7, 2,7 Ghz

CafeTran running with 6 GB RAM
... See more
Hi,

When I translate sdlxliff files on my MacBook Pro using CafeTran, the response of my CAT tool comes very fast, allowing me to be productive.

When I load the same sdlxliff file in Studio 2011, running in a Parallels VM, response is quite sluggish. Is this what I should expect or did I make a configuration error?

Here's my configuration:

MacBook Pro, 8 GB RAM, 500 GB HDD, Intel Core i7, 2,7 Ghz

CafeTran running with 6 GB RAM

Parallels: 7.015107 (not the newest version, I know ...)

Studio 2011 SP 2, running in a Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 VM, 32-bit, 3 GB RAM

The base score for this Windows machine is 4,5, which is determined by the following subscores:

I want to use Studio 2011 to:

- Run verifying tests on sdlxliff files that I've translated in CafeTran
- Create return packages

What ways are there to increase Studio's performance?

Thanks,

Hans
Collapse

Hans Lenting
Hans Lenting
Netherlands
Member (2006)
German to Dutch
TOPIC STARTER
Studio 2009 on XP Oct 14, 2012

I have to add that on this same MacBook Pro I had installed WinXP 32-bit in a VM, with Studio 2009, before. This Studio version ran smoothly ...

Hans

Egidijus Slepetys
Egidijus Slepetys  Identity Verified
Local time: 03:06
German to Lithuanian
Studio is very slow Oct 14, 2012

Especially the user interface: switching windows, scrolling up and down, selecting segments and many other things.
Be glad, your don't have to work with it (me neither btw.)!
To run a task and go to pick a snack is IMHO absolutely not a problem.

Off-Topic: Hans, could you please take a look at the problem I posted in the Transit forum? Or please just try, whether your Transit does or does not have this issue. TIA.

Dominique Pivard
Dominique Pivard  Identity Verified
Finnish to French
Comparison with Studio performance on similar PC Oct 15, 2012

Hans Lenting wrote:
The base score for this Windows machine is 4,5, which is determined by the following subscores:

This is fast, I only have 2.0 on my MacBook Air
Hans Lenting wrote:
I want to use Studio 2011 to:

- Run verifying tests on sdlxliff files that I've translated in CafeTran
- Create return packages

What ways are there to increase Studio's performance?

Just curious: how much time do you spend with these tasks in Studio, compared to the time you spend doing the actual translation in CafeTran? I mean: even if it's slow, is it worthwhile spending lots of efforts to make it marginally faster, if it's not going to be more than a few percent of the total time needed for a project?

Chances are Studio is inherently slow, as Egidijus already noted. If you are concerned about the impact of your Mac on performance, you should perform the same standard Studio tasks on both your Mac and a similar PC. If the PC is just as slow (as I suspect), you will have confirmation there is not much you can do on your already top-notch MacBook Pro.

Dominique Pivard
Dominique Pivard  Identity Verified
Finnish to French
Hard facts vs. subjective impressions Oct 15, 2012

Hans Lenting wrote:
I have to add that on this same MacBook Pro I had installed WinXP 32-bit in a VM, with Studio 2009, before. This Studio version ran smoothly ...

You say "ran smoothly" about 2009, "is quite sluggish" about 2011: I believe you would need hard facts, like it takes xx seconds to perform this particular task on this particular SDLXLIFF. If you send me a sample SDLXLIFF and tell me what to do with it, I can tell you how much time it takes on my MacBook Air (Oct-2010 model, 4 GB of RAM, Mountain Lion + Fusion 4 + Windows 8) and on my ThinkPad X301 (also 2010, 8 GB, Windows 7).

Hans Lenting
Hans Lenting
Netherlands
Member (2006)
German to Dutch
TOPIC STARTER
There ain't no such thing as objectivity ;) Oct 15, 2012

Dominique Pivard wrote:

You say "ran smoothly" about 2009, "is quite sluggish" about 2011: I believe you would need hard facts, like it takes xx seconds to perform this particular task on this particular SDLXLIFF.

Hi Dominique,

Thanks for your response!

As you expected, I only use Studio for a few minutes after having finished an sdlxliff project in CafeTran. I run a verifying task or I accept all changes from my reviewer. Then I create a return package and quit Studio.

The sluggish response refers to scrolling in the grid (and perhaps the opening of a project, which takes, but this is not so relevant, since it is a one-time action per project).

When I scroll with the mouse in the translation grid, screen repainting is lagging a little. Just enough to give me a tickle in the stomach. How's that for subjectivity .

Perhaps it is the relatively low score on graphics that is causing this effect.

I haven't migrated mQ to Win7 on this MacBook Pro yet. I'm curious how well this tool will perform in this regard.

FWIW: Studio 2011 performs rather well on my very fast iMac. Perhaps that my disappointment was caused by that comparison too.

Cheerio,

Hans

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Performance of Studio 2011 on a MacBook Pro

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »