Thread poster: EmiliaF
Meta Arkadia
Meta Arkadia
Local time: 13:02
English to Indonesian
+ ...
Tax Dec 20, 2012

Diana Takehana wrote:

I honestly can´t see why this would be different with a mac, since its internal components are pretty much the same as in a pc.

And then there's this huge Apple tax, of course. No Diana, you shouldn't buy a Mac. After all, Macs aren't for everybody.

Cheers,

Hans

Meta Arkadia
Meta Arkadia
English to Indonesian
+ ...
Big Plus Dec 20, 2012

Skallagrimson wrote:
My first Mac was Mac Classic, actually.

Mac Plus, usually called the Big Mac. 1987. Before that, I used an Apple IIe.

Cheers,

Hans

Alan Halls
Alan Halls  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 08:02
German to English
Advantages and disadvantages of a Mac... Jan 2, 2013

Hi folks,
I've just woken up to this topic and would like to a make a few hands-on comments, since I changed from a standard PC to an iMac two years ago. My wife and I run a small agency from home and use two iMacs now.

First, I'm always annoyed about people (Mac fanatics) who claim that everything on the Mac is easier. This is simply not true. If, as I do, you use such functions as right-click in Windows explorer, create new document, Word DOC or some other format (e.g. to s
... See more
Hi folks,
I've just woken up to this topic and would like to a make a few hands-on comments, since I changed from a standard PC to an iMac two years ago. My wife and I run a small agency from home and use two iMacs now.

First, I'm always annoyed about people (Mac fanatics) who claim that everything on the Mac is easier. This is simply not true. If, as I do, you use such functions as right-click in Windows explorer, create new document, Word DOC or some other format (e.g. to save the content of a mail, copied text from a PDF etc.), this function doesn't exist on a Mac.

Secondly, not having drive letters and paths you can easily copy and paste into an explorer or similar window is a tremendous drawback, if you use that function often (like me, 20 times a day).

There are other aspects that make changing to a Mac a really complex and often frustrating business BUT... the advantages are not to be ignored.

We run Win 7 in a Parallels VM (btw, Parallels got top marks recently in a comparison of VM software. It's nearly as quick and stable as running Win 7 in a Bootcamp setup).
The Mac hardware has proved to be 100% reliable over two years and shows no signs of any technical problems.
The purchase price (in our case leased from Apple with no additional leasing fee) was not much more than for a good, made-to-order PC and the reliability is well worth it. Also, do not forget that, since Apple make their own PCs and operating system, they can offer support. I had to ring them once and was very impressed at how quick & easy contacting them was. Try and get support from Microsoft! I gave up 15 years ago!

Parallels has many advantages over the free VirtualBox, despite its (moderate) price. First, you can run Win 7 applications in the so-called "coherence" mode where you do not see a dedicated Windows 7 background and all applications run in their own windows on the Mac desktop. Copying and pasting from a native Mac application to a Win app is no problem, if it is set up right. VirtualBox was like working in a vacuum. We run Microsoft Office (i.e. Outlook, Word, Excel) as Mac applications (Office 2011) alongside Firefox for Mac. Our Windows-based software (Lexware, Transit NXT) runs almost seamlessly - provided you have enough RAM. My iMac has 16 GB of RAM, of which half is set for the Windows VM. Trados Studio will run quite happily in a Parallels VM and SDL even confirmed this to me when I enquired.

I've never used Bootcamp but I gather Win 7 in Bootcamp is no problem. If you ever do need to switch to a native Mac environment, however, you'll have to reboot, which would annoy me no end. I find Mac Office 2011 far more pleasant to work with than Win Office 2010, by the way, but that's my personal preference. Other free office packages are available for both Mac and Windows and can save each other's formats with no problem, in my experience with OpenOffice Mac and Win.

My next computer will also be an iMac when this lease expires in March because it allows me to benefit from both the reliability of the Mac hardware and my (entrenched!) working methods in Win 7. The best of both worlds, so to speak.

Alan
Collapse

Meta Arkadia
Meta Arkadia
English to Indonesian
+ ...
From a MacFanatic Jan 3, 2013

Hi Alan,

A few remarks on your posting.

As a freelance translator, I can do perfectly well without Windows, but I can imagine that you - as an agency - need it (although probably not as often as you think).

"Easier" is often more related to "used to" than anything else.

You can see the path of a file in its "Get Info" window, but it's far easier to enable the Path Bar. Just open a Finder window, go to View in the Menu Bar, and check "Show Path
... See more
Hi Alan,

A few remarks on your posting.

As a freelance translator, I can do perfectly well without Windows, but I can imagine that you - as an agency - need it (although probably not as often as you think).

"Easier" is often more related to "used to" than anything else.

You can see the path of a file in its "Get Info" window, but it's far easier to enable the Path Bar. Just open a Finder window, go to View in the Menu Bar, and check "Show Path Bar". That didn't hurt much, did it? From now on, you will always see the path of a selected file or folder displayed at the bottom of your Finder window. Until you decide to hide it, of course.

OS X doesn't display drive letters because it uses drive names rather than letters. I use three HDDs, each conveniently given names like "BU" (back-up), "CCC" (Carbon Copy Cloner), etc. Please don't feel offended if I tell you that I think that such is a lot "easier" than remembering what C, D, E, F, G, and H (or whatever letter you assigned to those drives) stand for to decide where to move your file to.

I'm not familiar enough with Windows anymore to provide an OSX solution for the "Open Application" by clicking in the Explorer you mentioned. I use Spotlight to open apps. I use Spotlight for just about everything. But I admit it's not the same as right-clicking, it may even not be easier. But then again, it works with all apps.

Selamat Tahun Baru 2013,

Hans
Collapse

EmiliaF
EmiliaF
Canada
Local time: 23:02
English to Portuguese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Agree Jan 3, 2013

Alan Halls wrote:

... everything on the Mac is easier. This is simply not true...

The purchase price (in our case leased from Apple with no additional leasing fee) was not much more than for a good, made-to-order PC and the reliability is well worth it. Also, do not forget that, since Apple make their own PCs and operating system, they can offer support.

Hello Everyone,

First of all, thank you all for the posts!

I'm still new to Mac world, so please forgive me if I'm wrong.

I agree with Alan, that some functions in Mac is not easy, for e.g. when you delete a bunch of files and wants to recover from the recycle bin, there is no option to recover it all like for windows, you have to recover one by one, which is very annoying if you have lots of files to recover. If someone know any easier way to recover please let me know.

In regards the price, I agree too, there is not much difference in the price compared to a PC and I believe lasts longer. And also they have a great tech support, if you have Apple store near by you can get help there or just call them.

Happy New Year to All!
Best wishes for 2013!
Emilia

Meta Arkadia
Meta Arkadia
English to Indonesian
+ ...
Time Machine Jan 3, 2013

Emilia Furuya wrote:

I agree with Alan, that some functions in Mac is not easy, for e.g. when you delete a bunch of files and wants to recover from the recycle bin, there is no option to recover it all like for windows, you have to recover one by one, which is very annoying if you have lots of files to recover. If someone know any easier way to recover please let me know.

Just use Command-a to select all files, followed by "Put Back". Or hold Command and click the files you want to put back if you don't want to put back all of them. BTW, we don't have a "Recycle Bin", we have a Trash. Do you have a recycle bin at home?

Don't forget to use Time Machine. Together with Spotlight, it's OSX's main feature, according to me, that is. It saved my life on numerous occasions.

Cheers,

Hans

EmiliaF
EmiliaF
Canada
Local time: 23:02
English to Portuguese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Unfortunately does not work Jan 5, 2013

Meta Arkadia wrote:

Just use Command-a to select all files, followed by "Put Back". Or hold Command and click the files you want to put back if you don't want to put back all of them. BTW, we don't have a "Recycle Bin", we have a Trash. Do you have a recycle bin at home?

Hello Hans,

Unfortunately this command does not work when they have different extensions. I tried that...
I'm still not used to the different names given in Mac, PC uses Recycle...
Still lots to learn...

Thank you for the post!

Meta Arkadia
Meta Arkadia
English to Indonesian
+ ...
My command is your wish Jan 5, 2013

Emilia Furuya wrote:
Unfortunately this command does not work when they have different extensions. I tried that...

Are you sure you tried it, Emila? "Command" in this case is a keyboard key, the one[s] next to the space bar. And extensions have nothing to do with it, I'm afraid. Did you really use the Terminal to "put back"?

For keyboard shortcuts:
http://www.danrodney.com/mac/index.html

Cheers,

Hans

[Edited at 2013-01-05 23:00 GMT]

Meta Arkadia
Meta Arkadia
English to Indonesian
+ ...
Paste Text into Word Jan 8, 2013

Alan Halls wrote:
If, as I do, you use such functions as right-click in Windows explorer, create new document, Word DOC or some other format (e.g. to save the content of a mail, copied text from a PDF etc.), this function doesn't exist on a Mac.

I think you can safely say that OS X is easier than Windows. In general. However, I couldn't find a workflow similar to the one you describe above in OS X. To paste a text (copied from any app) into Word, I'd simply run Word from the Dock, or - more likely - from Spotlight.

But I started thinking about how to automise it. I made a short screencast (not half as good* as our CAT Guru creates them) of it:

Paste Text into Word

If you follow my suggestion**, you can select and copy a text (RTF, actually, so you can paste links and pics as well, if you want to) in any application, and paste it into Word:mac with a single keyboard shortcut, using the underestimated Services feature of OS X. Now if you need that function as often as you do, this should be a time-saver.

The text for the procedure can be downloaded here: https://dl.dropbox.com/u/2184204/Paste%20Text%20into%20Word.rtf

* You may have to adapt the screen a bit to see the text at the right-hand side).
** Or I can send you the "Service", ready to use.

Cheers,

Hans

[Edited at 2013-01-08 04:22 GMT]

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Help!! SDL Trados for Mac Users

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »