EmiliaF
EmiliaF
Canada
Local time: 04:38
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Dec 9, 2012

Hello Everyone,

I need to get a new computer but debating between Mac and Windows.
After having a major issues with Windows computer this week I am not sure if I should get Windows computer anymore. However, I would like some feedback from a Mac users in regards the Mac and SDL Trados 2007 & 2011 compatibility before I decide.

Which software is better to run Windows in Mac: VMWave or Parallels or maybe Boot Camp?
I just need a feedback and see if you had an
... See more
Hello Everyone,

I need to get a new computer but debating between Mac and Windows.
After having a major issues with Windows computer this week I am not sure if I should get Windows computer anymore. However, I would like some feedback from a Mac users in regards the Mac and SDL Trados 2007 & 2011 compatibility before I decide.

Which software is better to run Windows in Mac: VMWave or Parallels or maybe Boot Camp?
I just need a feedback and see if you had any issues?

Thanks for now!
Emilia
Collapse

Tuncay Kurt
Tuncay Kurt  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 14:38
Member (2011)
English to Turkish
+ ...
MAC Dec 9, 2012

Hello Emilia,

I had no idea about a Mac before but fortunately 8 months ago I bought a MacBook Air. Surely as a translator who uses Trados all the time I would need Windows. I have chosen BootCamp since I wanted to use a "native" Windows without loosing any performance while working. For BootCamp it is very easy to install Windows on your Mac. Performance of Windows is just like another "regular" laptop with Windows. The only problem I had while working on Bootcamp is that STILL App
... See more
Hello Emilia,

I had no idea about a Mac before but fortunately 8 months ago I bought a MacBook Air. Surely as a translator who uses Trados all the time I would need Windows. I have chosen BootCamp since I wanted to use a "native" Windows without loosing any performance while working. For BootCamp it is very easy to install Windows on your Mac. Performance of Windows is just like another "regular" laptop with Windows. The only problem I had while working on Bootcamp is that STILL Apple did not update its bootcamp driver for some minor problems such as there is no option for disabling touchpad, so when working on Windows sometimes you accidentally touch it. There are some 3rd party software for this purpose but I did not find any of them useful so far. Another problem is that you need to reboot your laptop whenever you need to switch to Mac or Windows. Not a major disadvantage (for me) but when compared with Parallels you should know this. Also surely Mac keyboard is different and some buttons are "missing". It takes some time to get used to it and you will need to create new short-cuts for Trados. Battery life is a bit shorter on Bootcamp Windows than that on Mac.

BUT when I think about all pluses I get from my MBA: very light, very sturdy, good battery life, great keyboard + touchpad and great look - I cannot complain about the above minor issues.

Good luck,

Tuncay.
Collapse

Tom45 (X)
Tom45 (X)
Local time: 13:38
I'd advice an iMac Dec 9, 2012

Emilia Furuya wrote:

I just need a feedback and see if you had any issues?

Both VMWare Fusion and Parallels Desktop are good. VMWare Fusion integrates nicely in ecosystems of large companies that use other VMWare products. Parallels Desktops gets the best reviews regarding system integration (Windows into Mac and vice versa) and speed.

The concept of running your CAT tool in a VM with Windows is very attractive and flexible: you can make backups of the VM with your ready configured and licensed CAT tool both on the Mac itself and on an external disk. The scenario when your Mac is stolen or burned: get a new Mac, connect TimeMachine, restore the Mac OS and your VMs. In about 1 hour you're up and running again. The VM backup on the Mac can be used to instantly start a fresh copy of Windows/Studio whenever the old one is corrupted (e.g. after an update). Up and running in 5 minutes again ...

That was the easy part. Now about the hardware. These are strictly my personal views. As always: your mileage may vary.

I'd not go for an MBA again. The SSD proved just to small. The MacBook Pro is good but expensive in the configuration you'd need (see below). I'd only advice it if you need to take your computer with you.

So my advice would be to get an iMac. I'd advice at least 8 GB RAM to work with Parallels (or Fusion). If your budget is large enough, I'd advice either a Fusion Drive or a Flash Storage (SSD). They have a very positive effect on the boot time of your VM. Note that it often is cheaper to let the extra RAM plug in in your local Apple shop.

Since about a year I'm working in a Java CAT tool on the Mac side: www.CafeTran.com. This CAT tool is extremely fast and can handle Transit, Studio 2011 and generic XLIFF projects very well. I only start Studio 2011 just to verify the projects I translated in CafeTran and to create the return packages. CafeTran is only 80 euros. It allows you to store your projects, glossaries etc. in your Dropbox. Another nice and clever way to ensure that you never lose your work (and can always access it from wherever you are – if there is internet access )

So yes, you need licenses for Parallels, Windows (7) and Studio (2011), but you can do the main work on the Mac side very well.

Egils Grikis
Egils Grikis  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 12:38
Russian to Latvian
+ ...
SDL Trados Studio 2011 with Windows 8 on Mac Dec 9, 2012

I am using SDL Trados Studio 2011 with Windows 8 (iMac 21.5-inch, Mid 2011 | 20 GB | Mac OS X 10.8.2 + Parallels Desktop 8.0). I am very satisfied with performance.

Here you can compare it with VMware Fusion…
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_VMware_Fusion_and_Parallels_Desktop

Cheers,
Egils

Tuncay Kurt wrote:

Another problem is that you need to reboot your laptop whenever you need to switch to Mac or Windows. Not a major disadvantage (for me) but when compared with Parallels you should know this.

BUT when I think about all pluses I get from my MBA: very light, very sturdy, good battery life, great keyboard + touchpad and great look - I cannot complain about the above minor issues.

Good luck,

Tuncay.

EmiliaF
EmiliaF
Canada
English to Portuguese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
VMWare Fusion integrates nicely... Dec 9, 2012

germanodutchess wrote:

The concept of running your CAT tool in a VM with Windows is very attractive and flexible: you can make backups of the VM with your ready configured and licensed CAT tool both on the Mac itself and on an external disk. The scenario when your Mac is stolen or burned: get a new Mac, connect TimeMachine, restore the Mac OS and your VMs. In about 1 hour you're up and running again. The VM backup on the Mac can be used to instantly start a fresh copy of Windows/Studio whenever the old one is corrupted (e.g. after an update). Up and running in 5 minutes again ...

This is a great point...
I think I will get a VMWare Fusion, because the great backup option, I can install in more than one Mac with a reasonable price and I won't need to reboot the computer to switch to Mac.

[quote]germanodutchess wrote:
So my advice would be to get an iMac.

My first option: Apple® - iMac® - 8GB Memory - 1TB Hard Drive - OS X Mountain Lion
Just hope will be enough memory for a while...

Thank you germanodutchess for the feedback!

[Edited at 2012-12-09 21:00 GMT]

[Edited at 2012-12-09 21:18 GMT]

EmiliaF
EmiliaF
Canada
English to Portuguese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
BootCamp rebooting... Dec 9, 2012

Tuncay Kurt wrote:

Another problem is that you need to reboot your laptop whenever you need to switch to Mac or Windows.

That's a big disavantage for me...
I think I will go for the VMWare Fusion, as I said before, has a great backup option, I can install in more than one Mac with a reasonable price and I won't need to reboot the computer to switch to Mac.

Thank you Tuncay for the feedback!

Fernando Toledo
Fernando Toledo  Identity Verified
Spain
German to Spanish
What I did Dec 9, 2012

My first option: Apple® - iMac® - 8GB Memory - 1TB Hard Drive - OS X Mountain Lion
Just hope will be enough memory for a while...

Macbook Pro 13" (No Retina!!!!) + a DELL 27" with a matt screen.

Why?

1. I prefer matt, and my Monitor will be still good in 10 years, in maximum 5 years I will buy another Laptop (maybe a Windows next time if Apple continues not to consider the "Pro" people anymore like the last 2 years, obsessed with his store, socializing and sharing = controlling users = money, money)

2. I can work "on the road" too with the same configuration as usual at home.

3. Each time you buy a iMac you are buying a new monitor...

EmiliaF
EmiliaF
Canada
English to Portuguese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you! Dec 9, 2012

Skallagrimson wrote:

I am using SDL Trados Studio 2011 with Windows 8 (iMac 21.5-inch, Mid 2011 | 20 GB | Mac OS X 10.8.2 + Parallels Desktop 8.0). I am very satisfied with performance.

Here you can compare it with VMware Fusion…
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_VMware_Fusion_and_Parallels_Desktop

Thank you for the link!
I was going for the VMWare Fusion, but I think I have a little bit of studying to do now, compare both and look for what are my needs as Parallels has lots of features I may need...

Thank you Egils for the feedback!

Fernando Toledo
Fernando Toledo  Identity Verified
Spain
German to Spanish
The comparison is with Fusion 4 Dec 9, 2012

Fusion 5 is now there

http://www.vmware.com/de/products/desktop_virtualization/fusion/overview

Both are good. I am happy with VMware, anyway I still use XP on it, why windows 7 or 8?
It is just for one application, for the rest - Mountain Lion.

The bad thing about parallels is that you have to pay fo
... See more
Fusion 5 is now there

Both are good. I am happy with VMware, anyway I still use XP on it, why windows 7 or 8?

The bad thing about parallels is that you have to pay for every update...
Collapse

EmiliaF
EmiliaF
Canada
English to Portuguese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you! Dec 10, 2012

Fernando Toledo wrote:

Fusion 5 is now there

The bad thing about parallels is that you have to pay for every update...

I decided for the VMware, it has everything I need and affordable too.

Thank you for the feedback!

Meta Arkadia
Meta Arkadia
Local time: 18:38
English to Indonesian
+ ...
VirtualBox Dec 10, 2012

Fernando Toledo wrote:
3. Each time you buy a iMac you are buying a new monitor...

True, but if you buy a 27" iMac, you can still use its monitor long after the computer part of it has died. So I do agree with our dear old Duchess, in other respects as well.

Nobody mentioned VirtualBox. VB is a free alternative for Parallels or VMWare. It's not as well integrated with OS X as Parallels (I never tested VMWare), but it's OK, and it's fast. And free. But now I'm repeating myself.

Cheers,

Hans

EmiliaF
EmiliaF
Canada
English to Portuguese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you! Dec 13, 2012

Meta Arkadia wrote:

True, but if you buy a 27" iMac, you can still use its monitor long after the computer part of it has died. So I do agree with our dear old Duchess, in other respects as well.

Nobody mentioned VirtualBox. VB is a free alternative for Parallels or VMWare. It's not as well integrated with OS X as Parallels (I never tested VMWare), but it's OK, and it's fast. And free. But now I'm repeating myself.

Thank you Hans for the info!
The 27" iMac looks interesting, however I think it's too much $$, unless they guarantee it lasts for 10 years.
I did not know VB was free... and it's good if doesn't need to reboot to use Mac platform. That's also appearing!
Thanks again!

[Edited at 2012-12-13 04:50 GMT]

Meta Arkadia
Meta Arkadia
English to Indonesian
+ ...
TCO Dec 13, 2012

Emilia Furuya wrote:
...however I think it's too much $$, unless they guarantee it lasts for 10 years.

It probably will. My oldest Mac at the moment is a Mac mini from March 2005, and it's still alive. Kicking not so much. I't's too slow, but good enough for, say, an iTunes library. An iMac 27" is a lot of money, but it's not expensive if you look at the TCO. It'll last longer than other brands, and if you sell it after two or three years, you'll have a very handsome seed sum to buy a new one. See http://www.tweedehandsmac.nl/classifieds/classifieds.lasso?s=nl&cat=11 for an indication (the site is in Dutch, but I'm sure you understand "€ language"). So the total costs of ownership is actually lower than for other brands. And you'll have a monitor that alone would cost you € 1,000.

Cheers,

Hans (who unfortunately and stupidly doesn't own Apple shares)

[Edited at 2012-12-13 05:15 GMT]

EmiliaF
EmiliaF
Canada
English to Portuguese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
21.5" or 27" iMac? Dec 13, 2012

Meta Arkadia wrote:

It'll last longer than other brands, and if you sell it after two or three years, you'll have a very handsome seed sum to buy a new one. See http://www.tweedehandsmac.nl/classifieds/classifieds.lasso?s=nl&cat=11 for an indication (the site is in Dutch, but I'm sure you understand "€ language"). So the total costs of ownership is actually lower than for other brands. And you'll have a monitor that alone would cost you € 1,000.

I agree that it lasts longer.
That is a good idea too, and if I don't like the Mac platform, maybe I can sell it! Which would be impossible to do with PC!

I may take your suggestion and go look for a 27" iMac... My xmas present.
Thanks Hans!!

(who unfortunately and stupidly doesn't own Apple shares)

Are you sure you don't own Apple's shares??
You're very good at convincing...

[Edited at 2012-12-13 07:19 GMT]

Meta Arkadia
Meta Arkadia
English to Indonesian
+ ...
A discount? Dec 13, 2012

Emilia Furuya wrote:
Are you sure you don't own Apple's shares??

Yes. Please don't rub it in.

When I bought my 27" iMac, I was actually going to buy the very latest 21.5 iMac, late October 2010. By sheer luck, I asked for a discounted 21.5" late 2009 one. The difference in specs was marginal. They didn't have one, but they did have a late October 2009 27" iMac. I got a discount, and combined with a very favourable exchange rate (€>IDR), I ended up paying "only" € 1,000 for a 27". Now the situation is the same, apart from the new one being much more different from the previous iMac than in 2010. You can give it a try.

Cheers,

Hans

Pages in topic:   [1 2 3] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Help!! SDL Trados for Mac Users

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »