BabelOn-line
BabelOn-line
United Kingdom
Local time: 04:53
English to French
+ ...
Dec 17, 2012

Hello all

A friend sent me a link to the Babylon site where they advertise "Babylon Mac" (http://www.babylon.com/mac).

This looks like a new version of this application, designed for Mac (a not simply an app that needs to be used with Parallels or another PC emulator).

I have seen terrible reviews about Babylon on Cnet and elsewhere, but also a few good ones.
... See more
Hello all

A friend sent me a link to the Babylon site where they advertise "Babylon Mac" (http://www.babylon.com/mac).

This looks like a new version of this application, designed for Mac (a not simply an app that needs to be used with Parallels or another PC emulator).

I have seen terrible reviews about Babylon on Cnet and elsewhere, but also a few good ones.

Has anyone tried it yet? Is it purely a sort of integrated on-line dictionary or is it also a TM?

Thanks!

Jean-Louis
Collapse

BabelOn-line
BabelOn-line
United Kingdom
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Interesting contact with Babylon Dec 17, 2012

Just for some background info, I have just had a text chat on the Internet with Babylon.

The do not offer try out / evaluation versions as such, but you can buy the software for a reduced price and get a full refund within 14 days if not satisfied.

Samantha from Babylon told me they have 100 million satisfied users.

Babylon has sold 100 million licences? That sounds like the kind of stuff they'd have trouble believing even in Salt Lake City.

Cetacea
Cetacea  Identity Verified
Switzerland
Local time: 05:53
English to German
+ ...
No, and I'm not going to Dec 17, 2012

Judging by the information provided on their website, it's purely an integrated on-line dictionary (including 27 languages, no less...). And if the German version of their website is any indication of the "quality translations" they offer, I can do very well without it.

BabelOn-line
BabelOn-line
United Kingdom
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Yes, makes sense Dec 17, 2012

That is indeed one thing that nagged me: if the licence they offer is for one computer only, what is the point in getting so many different languages combinations?

Either they know some people who speak quite an awful large number of languages, or they think some computers will see a lot of hotdesking... or I missed something.

[Edited at 2012-12-17 13:14 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Babylon Mac: anyone tried it yet?

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »