Trados on Mac: How to access previous files.
Thread poster: Jennifer Byers
Jennifer Byers
Jennifer Byers  Identity Verified
Local time: 05:04
Portuguese to English
Jan 18, 2013

I have just reinstalled Studio 2011 on to my new MacBook Air, where I'm using Parallels Desktop to run Windows 7. Installation seems to be fine (except framework, but that's another question). However all my SDL files were transferred to the Mac OS, so how can i access them through Windows? i.e. TMs, Termbases, etc. Do I need to reinstall all the SDL files into Windows? Am presuming so, but just wanted to check if there is any crossover that would allow them to just stay in Mac OS and be accesse... See more
I have just reinstalled Studio 2011 on to my new MacBook Air, where I'm using Parallels Desktop to run Windows 7. Installation seems to be fine (except framework, but that's another question). However all my SDL files were transferred to the Mac OS, so how can i access them through Windows? i.e. TMs, Termbases, etc. Do I need to reinstall all the SDL files into Windows? Am presuming so, but just wanted to check if there is any crossover that would allow them to just stay in Mac OS and be accessed from there.Collapse

Harmen Rijks
Harmen Rijks  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2004)
English to Dutch
Crossover Jan 18, 2013

Hi Jennifer,

I'm using VMWare to run WinXP in order to run Trados on my MacAir. I suppose it's quite similar to your setup. I had to drag all Trados files back to Windows in order to access them properly Trados doesn't like the fact that they were on the Mac. It can't handle virtual machines very well. Even files in a shared folder, accessible from both Mac and Win caused Trados to seize, so in the end I gave up and plonked everything back into Windows. The end result is a bloated v
... See more
Hi Jennifer,

I'm using VMWare to run WinXP in order to run Trados on my MacAir. I suppose it's quite similar to your setup. I had to drag all Trados files back to Windows in order to access them properly Trados doesn't like the fact that they were on the Mac. It can't handle virtual machines very well. Even files in a shared folder, accessible from both Mac and Win caused Trados to seize, so in the end I gave up and plonked everything back into Windows. The end result is a bloated virtual machine file, but in the end that's just a matter of adding more hard drive space...... I access my VM from a portable HD. (Toshiba 1GB with USB 3 connecton. Really fast!)

Hope this helps.

Regards

Harmen Rijks
Collapse

Jennifer Byers
Portuguese to English
TOPIC STARTER
That helps! Jan 18, 2013

Thank you Harmen. That certainly helps - especially the suggestion about the external HD. I've been a bit worried about making the VM too large or the whole thing too heavy. Will try it your way. Thanks.

Jacques DP
Jacques DP  Identity Verified
Switzerland
Local time: 10:04
English to French
All my documents are in the OS X file system Jan 23, 2013

Hello,

My experience is different. Using Parallels Desktop, I have all my files in the OS X file system, and I work on them from Trados and other apps within the virtual machine. I don't have a single document file in the Windows file system. I think it is vastly better, because if you start having personal data in both file systems, it becomes complicated.

Interestingly, I had an issue with TO3000 which I also use. The network location (seen from the VM) of the documen
... See more
Hello,

My experience is different. Using Parallels Desktop, I have all my files in the OS X file system, and I work on them from Trados and other apps within the virtual machine. I don't have a single document file in the Windows file system. I think it is vastly better, because if you start having personal data in both file systems, it becomes complicated.

Interestingly, I had an issue with TO3000 which I also use. The network location (seen from the VM) of the document folder in OS X was not accepted by TO3000. This was however easily solved by using a virtual drive (in the Windows file system) that points to the OS X document folder network location (seen from the VM).

One of the challenges of using Trados in VMs in OS X is to avoid duplicating everything, and have a good integration of everything, as much as possible.

Personally there is only one thing I still struggle with 3 months after starting with such a setup, and that's the differences between the keyboard shortcuts in OS X and Windows, and the fact that I need to switch when I go from an OS X app to a Windows app and vice versa. At this point I do master both sets of keyboard shortcuts, but I often forget where I am and which one I should use (which is testimony of the excellent integration offered by Parallels through its "coherence" mode).
Collapse

Jennifer Byers
Portuguese to English
TOPIC STARTER
Docs in OS X Jan 24, 2013

Thanks Jacques. I'm still playing around with things, and as I'm not very savvy (especially on a Mac!) it's taking me a while to figure it all out. But I will certainly take your advice into consideration and appreciate your time in responding.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Trados on Mac: How to access previous files.

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »