Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
How is your translation experience working with Mac?
Thread poster: Lotte Bulckens
trhanslator (X)
trhanslator (X)
You still need SDL Studio Mar 5, 2013

Zuzka Benesova wrote:

The CafeTran UI looks great in your picture. Do I get it right - can you process SDL formats in CT without having Trados?

You'll be able to translate 99,4 % of all your Studio segments in CafeTran. The 0,6 % special segments with a padlock you'll have to do in Studio. The filter is still 'under construction'.

Swordfish claims to offer 100 % Studio compatibility – without the need of checking in Studio. One day I'll verify this claim.

In my experience no compatibility is 100 % ...

trhanslator (X)
trhanslator (X)
Your posting on a 13" MacBook Pro Mar 5, 2013

Meta Arkadia wrote:

juliette_K wrote:
you might want to edit your post for better page visualization

It looks perfect to me. On a 27" iMac, full-screen, of course…

Cheers,

Hans

Sorry, I'm on a 13" MacBook Pro (which BTW is large enough for CafeTran) but I'm sorry to tell you that I cannot read your message. I have to scroll to the right about 5 times or so.

Meta Arkadia
Meta Arkadia
Local time: 07:50
English to Indonesian
+ ...
You do, i don't Mar 5, 2013

trhanslator wrote:
You'll be able to translate 99,4 % of all your Studio segments in CafeTran.

I'm not sure this is true, but if it is, my clients don't seem to worry about it. That said, I also send them the TM (tags enabled).

Cheers,

Hans (the original Hans)

Zuzka Benesova
Zuzka Benesova  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
Local time: 02:50
Member (2012)
English to Czech
Thanks Mar 5, 2013

Meta Arkadia wrote:
You are not going to believe this.

Very interesting, indeed! Will look into it.

Thank you, Hans (who is not financially or otherwise involved in CafeTran, which is probably a good thing)

Meta Arkadia
Meta Arkadia
Local time: 07:50
English to Indonesian
+ ...
0.06% (if true) Mar 5, 2013

trhanslator wrote:
You'll be able to translate 99,4 % of all your Studio segments in CafeTran. The 0,6 % special segments with a padlock you'll have to do in Studio.

OK, I give up. Don't buy a Mac, and don't buy CafeTran.

Cheers,

Hans

Fiona Grace Peterson
Fiona Grace Peterson  Identity Verified
Italy
Italian to English
Love love LOVE my Mac Mar 5, 2013

... and would never go back to a PC... you would have to prise my cold dead fingers off my iMac before that would happen, to vaguely quote Stephen King.

Stable, silent, easy on the eye. iTunes gets worse with every new version, but I digress.

More fool SDL Trados that their product won't run on the Mac platform (unless things have changed).
When I was a Trados user I had Parallels installed, and it worked like a charm, never had any problems.
Not freelancing
... See more
... and would never go back to a PC... you would have to prise my cold dead fingers off my iMac before that would happen, to vaguely quote Stephen King.

Stable, silent, easy on the eye. iTunes gets worse with every new version, but I digress.

More fool SDL Trados that their product won't run on the Mac platform (unless things have changed).
When I was a Trados user I had Parallels installed, and it worked like a charm, never had any problems.
Not freelancing right now (too busy trying to get my nursing degree... ;o)) but should I ever go back to it I would go with a CAT tool that has the sense to make its products compatible with Mac. My 2 cents, obviously.

Make the shift... you won't regret it

[Edited at 2013-03-05 18:38 GMT]
Collapse

Zuzka Benesova
Zuzka Benesova  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
Member (2012)
English to Czech
appreciate your opinions Mar 5, 2013

trhanslator wrote:
You'll be able to translate 99,4 % of all your Studio segments in CafeTran.
Swordfish claims to offer 100 % Studio compatibility

Thank you for your experience, too. I appreciate any input. I'll do my own research, of course, before I make my decision (never one to make a decision too quickly ha).

Monica Paolillo
Monica Paolillo
Italy
English to Italian
+ ...
Mac 4 ever! Mar 6, 2013

I vote for Mac too. We have 5 in our office at the moment. We are not too happy running virtual machines which voids the whole point of having a stable system. As a matter of fact, the less we see of Windows, the happier we feel.

Another good CAT tool for Mac is Wordfast, although it seems it's not possible to buy a permanent license which is quite upsetting.

Also, being active in the subtitling industry, the professional software packages for Mac are very affordable c
... See more
I vote for Mac too. We have 5 in our office at the moment. We are not too happy running virtual machines which voids the whole point of having a stable system. As a matter of fact, the less we see of Windows, the happier we feel.

Another good CAT tool for Mac is Wordfast, although it seems it's not possible to buy a permanent license which is quite upsetting.

Also, being active in the subtitling industry, the professional software packages for Mac are very affordable compared to the huge amounts of money you spend to buy professional subtitling tools for Windows, which are also less user friendly.

So Mac so far has never given us any problems.

I also recommend buying an SSD hard drive, either a built-in or an external one that will enhance your working experience even more. Good luck
Collapse

Lotte Bulckens
Lotte Bulckens  Identity Verified
Member (2007)
English to Dutch
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks, Thanks, Thanks Mar 6, 2013

Hello all,

Thank you all for the very interesting information, tips and new stuff I am learning here.
As soon as I have a minute I will do my research and I hope to set up and enjoy a good system that gives me what I need
I'll keep you all posted
Thanks again!

Melanie Nassar
Melanie Nassar  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 03:50
German to English
+ ...
Agree with many of the above Mar 6, 2013

After having used a Mac iBook constantly since 2005 (no viruses, no repairs, no problems of any kind), I added a Mac mini to replace my PC desktop in 2010 and last summer replaced my laptop with a MacBook Pro 8 with GB memory to accommodate VM Fusion so I can use Trados and Across (no problems at all, so far).

My 2005 iBook is still working after I replaced the battery about 2 years ago. I would never go back to Windows. My husband has had at least 5 Windows laptops in that period
... See more
After having used a Mac iBook constantly since 2005 (no viruses, no repairs, no problems of any kind), I added a Mac mini to replace my PC desktop in 2010 and last summer replaced my laptop with a MacBook Pro 8 with GB memory to accommodate VM Fusion so I can use Trados and Across (no problems at all, so far).

My 2005 iBook is still working after I replaced the battery about 2 years ago. I would never go back to Windows. My husband has had at least 5 Windows laptops in that period with multiple repairs and disabling viruses, so I figure the added cost is ultimately worth it.
Collapse

trhanslator (X)
trhanslator (X)
Swordfish cannot deal with these SDLPPX either Mar 6, 2013

trhanslator wrote:

Zuzka Benesova wrote:

The CafeTran UI looks great in your picture. Do I get it right - can you process SDL formats in CT without having Trados?

You'll be able to translate 99,4 % of all your Studio segments in CafeTran. The 0,6 % special segments with a padlock you'll have to do in Studio. The filter is still 'under construction'.

Swordfish claims to offer 100 % Studio compatibility – without the need of checking in Studio. One day I'll verify this claim.

In my experience no compatibility is 100 % ...

As expected (at least by me):

Today I pseudo-translated such an SDLXLIFF file from the 0,6 % category in Swordfish. AFAIK I did everything the right way, still Studio rejects the pseudo-translation from Swordfish (I get an error message about OASIS). I've reported this to tech@... but I got no answer to my question whether I still have support for my license.

Giunia Totaro
Giunia Totaro  Identity Verified
French to Italian
+ ...
Some quick replies Mar 6, 2013

Michael Beijer wrote:

1. My wife uses a Mac, and one thing to keep in mind is that the latest version of Microsoft Office is not 100% compatible with the newest versions of OSX (Lion). When she has to work on large Word docs with complex formatting, she uses my Toshiba laptop.

She'll probably do this kind of formatting for working reasons, so she'll be in a Windows environment anyway (on her VM).

2. Furthermore, the majority of business software is written for a PC, so if you choose to use a Mac you are limiting what you can use. People like to complain about Windows but my Windows 7 OS looks great and never crashes. If you choose PC you also don't need to worry about running Windows stuff you need virtually.

She has a VM, remember? : )

3. Another thing is the amount of money for a comparable system. The amount of power I have in my current PC desktop would have cost me a lot more if I had chosen a Mac.

*Any possible Mac* lasts much longer than a PC (by "lasts" I mean in a usable way). Your money is well worth such huge advantage.

4. And last of all: people often like to tell you how their Mac hardware is more reliable. However, everyone I know has had to bring their iPhone, iMac or MacBook back to the Apple store for repairs, whereas my ancient Windows XP laptop is still running perfectly.

You really must be the one and only person on Earth having such a personal experience, I'd cherish it if I were you : ))

PS: Whatever you do: make sure to get an SSD hard drive and at least 6 GB of RAM. That will make more difference than pretty much anything else.

That's true: 6 GB at the very least. But hardly any Mac computer is released with a smaller RAM nowadays.

PPS: If you do get a Mac, remember not to buy your extra RAM from Apple. They sell exactly the same stuff but 3 times as expensive as anywhere else.

[Edited at 2013-03-05 14:28 GMT]

True as well : )
Buy Kingston, or Crucial, or Komputerbay. Or on Buydifferent.

Ciao

[Edited at 2013-03-06 20:51 GMT]

Dominique Pivard
Dominique Pivard  Identity Verified
Finnish to French
Trados (and other Windows programs) on Mac Mar 13, 2013

Lotte Bulckens wrote:
I am thinking of buying a new computer. One of the options I am considering is a Mac cumputer (either MacBook Pro or an iMac) but I have never worked with Apple before

The problem when asking such a question ("should I buy a Mac instead of a PC?") is that it's going to attract replies from zealots on both sides
From a hardware perspective, Macs are generally well-built, but their quality is comparable to that of PC's in the same price range.
Lotte Bulckens wrote:
and wanted to know more about compatibility of Trados 2007/Trados Studio 2009 and Microsoft Office with the Mac computers. Does everything work fine? Are my clients going to notice any differences in the files I will deliver them?

Since Apple switched to the Intel architecture and with the availability of cheap RAM in plentiful amounts, compatibility with Windows and Windows applications is no longer an issue: just get enough of RAM (eg. 8 to 16 GB) and disk space (preferably a fast drive ie. SSD), install adequate virtual machine software (you can choose between Parallels, VMware and VirtualPC), a copy of Windows and you basically have a powerful Windows PC inside your Mac.

If you want to use the Word add-on of Trados 2007, you would need to get a copy of Office for Windows, not Office for Mac. Likewise, in order to be able to use Office spellchecking inside Studio 2009, you will also need Office for Windows.

What does take some getting used to is the absence of some keys (eg. Insert and Delete) on the Mac keyboard.

Dominique Pivard
Dominique Pivard  Identity Verified
Finnish to French
Which problems with virtual machines? Mar 13, 2013

Monica Paolillo wrote:
We are not too happy running virtual machines which voids the whole point of having a stable system.

What is your exact problem with virtual machines? In my experience (with VMware Fusion v. 4.1 with Windows 8), Windows is extremely solid and stable in the VM.
Monica Paolillo wrote:

If you consider the total cost of ownership (TCO) over a longer period, you will see the licensing scheme that you find "quite upsetting" compares favorably with the main competing tools (which do not offer native Mac versions of their software), especially if you acquired your license(s) a long time ago.
Monica Paolillo wrote:
I also recommend buying an SSD hard drive, either a built-in or an external one that will enhance your working experience even more. Good luck

I second that recommendation. An SSD is probably the biggest factor affecting performance as perceived by the user.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How is your translation experience working with Mac?

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »