Installing Windows on A Mac
Thread poster: Susanne Kennan
Susanne Kennan
Susanne Kennan  Identity Verified
Local time: 07:07
English to Danish
+ ...
May 1, 2013

I recently bought a MacBook Air and I want to install Windows using Parallels so that I can use Trados Studio 2011.

My question is "Where can I buy Windows?"

I have been amazed to discover that it just doesn't seem to be possible to purchase Windows anywhere, except as an upgrade.

If I purchase the OEM version, will I have problems installing Trados?

I accidentally bought the Windows 7 upgrade version, so if anyone can tell me where I can downl
... See more
I recently bought a MacBook Air and I want to install Windows using Parallels so that I can use Trados Studio 2011.

My question is "Where can I buy Windows?"

I have been amazed to discover that it just doesn't seem to be possible to purchase Windows anywhere, except as an upgrade.

If I purchase the OEM version, will I have problems installing Trados?

I accidentally bought the Windows 7 upgrade version, so if anyone can tell me where I can download Windows Vista, I would be extremely grateful (I would prefer the download version).
Collapse

Michael Beijer
Michael Beijer  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
http://www.microsoftstore.com/store/msuk/en_GB/home May 1, 2013

Hi Susanne,

I couldn't make out from your question exactly which version of Windows you are looking for, but you might want to have a look here:

http://www.microsoftstore.com/store/msuk/en_GB/cat/categoryID.59699800

Michael

Susanne Kennan
Susanne Kennan  Identity Verified
English to Danish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Not an upgrade May 1, 2013

Thanks for your reply Michael.
Actually, the site you directed me to doesn't sell MS Windows. Only upgrades.
I contacted Microsoft who told me that they don't sell Windows! They advised me to try Amazon! But actually,Amazon don't sell Windows 8 either. Only upgrades or OEM versions.
I don't really care what version I have, as long as it lets me install Trados.
It should preferably be a download version (I will be travelling for the next 6 weeks).
So, what I need is
... See more
Thanks for your reply Michael.
Actually, the site you directed me to doesn't sell MS Windows. Only upgrades.
I contacted Microsoft who told me that they don't sell Windows! They advised me to try Amazon! But actually,Amazon don't sell Windows 8 either. Only upgrades or OEM versions.
I don't really care what version I have, as long as it lets me install Trados.
It should preferably be a download version (I will be travelling for the next 6 weeks).
So, what I need is a site where I can download a version of Windows that I can install on a Mac and which will allow me to run Trados.
Collapse

LEXpert
LEXpert  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 01:07
Member (2008)
Croatian to English
+ ...
What version? May 2, 2013

I bought Win7 Professional to install on my wife's macbook pro from amazon. All-around probably the best prices, at least for the US, internationally may be different. What you really need to know is the version. Each OS (say, Windows 8, Windows 7 Home/Professional/Ultimate etc.) has a retail (read: expensive) and an "OEM System Builder" version (read: considerably cheaper) version. Features and installation process are exactly the same, but the OEM version is (theoretically) for someone buildin... See more
I bought Win7 Professional to install on my wife's macbook pro from amazon. All-around probably the best prices, at least for the US, internationally may be different. What you really need to know is the version. Each OS (say, Windows 8, Windows 7 Home/Professional/Ultimate etc.) has a retail (read: expensive) and an "OEM System Builder" version (read: considerably cheaper) version. Features and installation process are exactly the same, but the OEM version is (theoretically) for someone building a Windows computer to resell. The only real limitation of the OEM version is it that is not transferable between hard drives once installed, and Microsoft support is limited. However, since you can pretty much buy two OEM versions for one retail version, the savings outweigh any restrictions, IMHO.

FWIW, since there is no optical drive on the MBA, you'll need an external one, or you'll have to create an image of the Windows installation CD to put on a USB drive.
Collapse

Meta Arkadia
Meta Arkadia
Local time: 13:07
English to Indonesian
+ ...
RAM? May 2, 2013

Michael's suggestion does work: http://www.microsoftstore.com/store/msuk/en_GB/cat/categoryID.59699800

However, if you really, really want to use Trados, I think you should go for the oldest Windows version you can get hold of, because I doubt if your MBA is equipped with enough RAM for Parallels, Windows 8, and Trados. The standard configuration is 4 GB RAM, and although I don't use that stuff you want to install, I'm pretty sure 4 GB RAM won't do the trick. Alternatively, use Bootcamp to run WIN and Trados. And of course the best solution would be...

Cheers,

Hans

trhanslator (X)
trhanslator (X)
Studio on a MBA??? May 2, 2013

Susanne Kennan wrote:

Just my personal opinion (based on testing, though):

Studio 2011 on a lightweight computer like a MBA is not a good idea:

- the screen is too small for Studio with its waste of screen real estate, you'll probably have to connect an external monitor
- the SSD is too small for the large Studio packages with legacy TMs, PDFs etc. etc.
- running Windows on top of OS X will cost a lot of battery energy

My advice: Open your Studio packages with CafeTran, lightweight translation editor, minimal overhead (no Windows!), translate them, finalise/verify in Studio – the last step best on a desktop computer with large screen.

For CafeTran the 11 inch screen of a MBA is large enough.

My 2 cents,

Hans

Heinrich Pesch
Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 09:07
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
Isn't it XP you are looking for? May 2, 2013

I believe those platforms for mac-Win use only Windows XP. Probably you should forget about Windows 8 at least.
Are we talking about SDL Studio 2011? There is no Trados anymore, it was stopped at version 2007.

Angela Dickson (X)
Angela Dickson (X)  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
French to English
+ ...
Versions of Windows May 2, 2013

Heinrich Pesch wrote:

I believe those platforms for mac-Win use only Windows XP. Probably you should forget about Windows 8 at least.

You can believe that if you like, but it's not true.

To Susanne: it should be possible to buy a retail version of Windows, though it will be much more expensive than an upgrade version. "Full version" seems to be the most useful search term, see here:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Microsoft-Windows-Professional-Full-Version/dp/B002DUCMTC/ref=pd_cp_sw_h__2

I already had a full version of XP and bought an upgrade to Windows 7; I installed XP on Parallels on my iMac, and then upgraded it to Win 7. Everything works fine, but the iMac is much more powerful than the MB Air...

I haven't heard many good things about Windows 8, so I am sticking with version 7 for now.

[Edited at 2013-05-02 09:16 GMT]

[Edited at 2013-05-02 09:16 GMT]

Michael Beijer
Michael Beijer  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
@Susanne: May 2, 2013

I agree with what the others have said: you are probably going to run into problems running Trados Studio 2011 on a MBA. Studio already runs slow on my extremely powerful desktop PC (i7 CPU, 17GB RAM, fast SSD, good graphics card, watercooled, etc.), so I wonder how it is going to function virtually, inside of a laptop that isn't particularly powerful.

Which version of Windows is a matter I can't say much about, because I don't have much experience running Windows inside of Macs. Ho
... See more
I agree with what the others have said: you are probably going to run into problems running Trados Studio 2011 on a MBA. Studio already runs slow on my extremely powerful desktop PC (i7 CPU, 17GB RAM, fast SSD, good graphics card, watercooled, etc.), so I wonder how it is going to function virtually, inside of a laptop that isn't particularly powerful.

Which version of Windows is a matter I can't say much about, because I don't have much experience running Windows inside of Macs. However, don't believe the negative hype about Windows 8, and how it is supposedly only XP that is the light one. I just moved from Windows 7 to Windows 8 and I love it. Various people on the internet have tested it and say that it is even lighter than Win7. Actually, I have seen people who have tested XP Vs. Win8 on the same laptop and say that Win8 is much lighter/faster.

The new interface takes a little getting used to, but I really like Win8. The desktop is still there, but I think I am primarily going to use the new start screen instead. Also, Win8 just looks great.

Michael
Collapse

Meta Arkadia
Meta Arkadia
Local time: 13:07
English to Indonesian
+ ...
Mac SuperBundle, including Parallels May 5, 2013

It's there again, the SuperBundle: USD 49 for a.o. Parallels, RapidWeaver (!), TextExpander (!), PDF to Word Converter, and a few others. 10 more days to go:

http://www.macsuperbundle.com/?rs4=NO_BN_MACSB_DF_MAY2013&utm_source=daringfireball&utm_medium=text&utm_campaign=MSB

Cheers,
<
... See more
It's there again, the SuperBundle: USD 49 for a.o. Parallels, RapidWeaver (!), TextExpander (!), PDF to Word Converter, and a few others. 10 more days to go:

http://www.macsuperbundle.com/?rs4=NO_BN_MACSB_DF_MAY2013&utm_source=daringfireball&utm_medium=text&utm_campaign=MSB

Cheers,

Hans
Collapse

LEXpert
LEXpert  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 01:07
Member (2008)
Croatian to English
+ ...
Point of nomenclature: OEM System Builder vs. Retail versions May 5, 2013

To Susanne: it should be possible to buy a retail version of Windows, though it will be much more expensive than an upgrade version. "Full version" seems to be the most useful search term, see here:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Microsoft-Windows-Professional-Full-Version/dp/B002DUCMTC/ref=pd_cp_sw_h__2

Strictly speaking, "OEM version" refers the versions of Windows which come with new computer and have been modified by the computer manufacturer (i.e., useless bloatware added ). In terms of what you can buy as a standalone product, there are actually two "full" (non-upgrade) versions of Windows: the "retail version" and the "System Builder OEM" version. The latter is ca. 30% (or more) cheaper than the retail version and functionally identical in all respects, but is subject to some licensing limitations, such as no or limited customer support from Microsoft and the inability to switch it to a different machine later. The System Builder OEM version is theoretically supposed to be used by computer builders who will then re-sell the completed computer (and thus would provide the support to their customer instead of Microsoft) and obviously would not be re-installing the OS on a different computer (since they've sold the computer).

If you don't mind the minor licensing limitations, it's a good way to save some money.
Looking at amazon pricing in the US right now, for the regular Windows 8 System Builder is about 95$, retail about $135.

[Edited at 2013-05-05 13:53 GMT]

[Edited at 2013-05-05 13:53 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Installing Windows on A Mac

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »