Thread poster: Jacques DP
Jacques DP
Jacques DP  Identity Verified
Switzerland
Local time: 10:31
English to French
Jun 6, 2013

Hello there,

I'm having an issue for which I have found no reference by searching Proz and the web.
I have a setup with Trados (2007 and Studio 2009) running under Parallels, and my work folder within the Dropbox folder. The Dropbox software is for OS X (so, doesn't run under Parallels).

With such a setup I can't seem to clean up TTX files made from XLS files in Wor
... See more
Hello there,

I'm having an issue for which I have found no reference by searching Proz and the web.
I have a setup with Trados (2007 and Studio 2009) running under Parallels, and my work folder within the Dropbox folder. The Dropbox software is for OS X (so, doesn't run under Parallels).

With such a setup I can't seem to clean up TTX files made from XLS files in Workbench 2007. I get an error that says the process cannot access the source XLS files.

The XLS file is there, at its normal place. The reason why I think Dropbox creates the issue is that If I take my work folder out of the Dropbox folder, I can clean the TTX file alright. Leaving the work folder inside the Dropbox folder and exiting the Dropbox software, on the other hand, doesn't help.

One thought I had is that I could uninstall the Dropbox software and install the Windows version under Parallels instead. But before trying that, I'd like to know your thoughts, and especially your experience if you have the same setup!

Thanks.
Collapse

Meta Arkadia
Meta Arkadia
Local time: 15:31
English to Indonesian
+ ...
File associations Jun 6, 2013

Jacques DP wrote:
The Dropbox software is for OS X (so, doesn't run under Parallels).

The xls file in your DropBox on the Mac is undoubtedly associated with a Mac app, probably Excel:mac, or Numbers, or OOo, so no wonder you can't access it from within Redmondian software. You can change that -  | System Preferences | Default Apps | Extensions - but I doubt if you can change it into an app that runs under Windows. And if you can, I'm not sure it's a good idea. But then again, I can't possibly know. I'm a Mac pur sang.

Cheers,

Hans

Fernando Toledo
Fernando Toledo  Identity Verified
Spain
German to Spanish
Yes Jun 6, 2013

Jacques DP wrote:

Hello there,

I'm having an issue running under Parallels, and my work folder within the Dropbox folder. The Dropbox software is for OS X (so, doesn't run under Parallels).

Dropbox has sometime problems with CATs. Just, stop synchronization during translation. Once finished, re-enable Dropbox.

Meta Arkadia
Meta Arkadia
English to Indonesian
+ ...
No Jun 6, 2013

Fernando Toledo wrote:
Just, stop synchronization during translation.

That would render DropBox sort of useless. You may as well rely on Time Machine only.

That said, I've been thinking about using DropBox/SkyDrive/WhatHaveYou a lot, but that didn't help much, of course. I asked around, and never got a decent answer.

What I guess DropBox does when syncing, is copy the file to be synced to RAM, and then upload it. All of it, since DropBox can't perform incremental syncs (as far as I know). So if you have a decent Internet connection, the files aren't extremely large, and you don't save your work every second (I set "Save every 5 segments" in CafeTran), you should be alright. However, those huge TMs - like the 2 GB DGTs - can/will become a problem. True or false?

Cheers,

Hans

Meta Arkadia
Meta Arkadia
English to Indonesian
+ ...
Or both Jun 6, 2013

Jacques DP wrote:
One thought I had is that I could uninstall the Dropbox software and install the Windows version under Parallels instead.

That should do the trick, or you can have two instances of DropBox running - I think - one under OS X, and one under that other OS.

Cheers,

Hans

Jacques DP
Switzerland
English to French
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks, but none of the two suggestions work Jun 6, 2013

Fernando:
Fernando Toledo wrote:

Dropbox has sometime problems with CATs. Just, stop synchronization during translation. Once finished, re-enable Dropbox.

Thanks for your suggestion, however as I wrote, even exiting the Dropbox software doesn't solve it. As can be expected stopping synchronization doesn't, either.

Hans:
The xls file in your DropBox on the Mac is undoubtedly associated with a Mac app, probably Excel:mac, or Numbers, or OOo, so no wonder you can't access it from within Redmondian software.

Thanks for the suggestion, but it's associated with Excel for Windows.

Meta Arkadia
Meta Arkadia
English to Indonesian
+ ...
Not so Jun 6, 2013

Jacques DP wrote:
Thanks for the suggestion, but it's associated with Excel for Windows.

Unless you changed that manually - if such is possible at all - I doubt it.

Cheers,

Hans (who from now on will refrain from commenting on Windows problems. Windows problems are not his problems)

Fernando Toledo
Fernando Toledo  Identity Verified
Spain
German to Spanish
Jun 6, 2013

[Edited at 2013-06-06 14:12 GMT]

Stefan Budrich
Stefan Budrich  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2005)
English to German
Same setup - very few issues Jun 6, 2013

we are running (almost) the same setup here on 3 different Macs and it's working fine, we can access/cleanup files using an older Trados Freelance version and can also access/modify files and TMs using SDL Studio 2011 and DVX (Win XP). In fact, we have ALL current work files on the Dropbox folder.

Unfortunately I only have a few unspecific thoughts that may or may not point you towards a solution.

We have:
- mapped the dropbox folder to a network drive (explanatio
... See more
we are running (almost) the same setup here on 3 different Macs and it's working fine, we can access/cleanup files using an older Trados Freelance version and can also access/modify files and TMs using SDL Studio 2011 and DVX (Win XP). In fact, we have ALL current work files on the Dropbox folder.

Unfortunately I only have a few unspecific thoughts that may or may not point you towards a solution.

We have:
- mapped the dropbox folder to a network drive (explanation for Win 7: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-my/windows7/create-a-shortcut-to-map-a-network-drive).
This cuts short tedious path clicking from within the Windows applications. The hint actually came from SDL.
- seen problems associated with "illegal" characters in filenames, such as : or /
- seen problems associated with file names that were simply too long

I understand that the problem is only related to TTX/XLS files? How about cleaning up Microsoft Word files using Workbench?
Collapse

Jacques DP
Switzerland
English to French
TOPIC STARTER
Reply to Stefan: no problem with cleaning Word files Jun 6, 2013

Thanks Stefan for your input. Regarding your suggestions and question:

Stefan Budrich wrote:

We have:
- mapped the dropbox folder to a network drive (explanation for Win 7: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-my/windows7/create-a-shortcut-to-map-a-network-drive).
This cuts short tedious path clicking from within the Windows applications. The hint actually came from SDL.
- seen problems associated with "illegal" characters in filenames, such as : or /
- seen problems associated with file names that were simply too long

I understand that the problem is only related to TTX/XLS files? How about cleaning up Microsoft Word files using Workbench?

I have a Z: network drive in Windows that points to the /Users/Jacques folder in the Mac file system, and the Dropbox folder is directly in that folder. So the path from Windows to the Dropbox folder is Z:\Dropbox. Again this works fine all the time, there is just that one problem, so I doubt there is a problem here.

No illegal character in the filename, and the name is not especially long.

Clean Word files using Workbench works fine. The problem only arises with Excel files apparently. Never a problem with Studio 2009.

Jacques DP
Switzerland
English to French
TOPIC STARTER
About using Dropbox for Windows Jun 6, 2013

Dropbox refuses to use a folder on the network, so I can't point Dropbox for Windows to the Dropbox folder in the Mac system. I could of course move the Dropbox folder to Windows but that wouldn't be satisfactory. Also it is possible to fool Dropbox in using it all the same (pointing a drive letter to a local place, and then moving it), but I don't want to do this kind of tinkering.

So I'm back to Dropbox for Mac. (Using Dropbox for Windows wouldn't have been satisfactory anyway, be
... See more
Dropbox refuses to use a folder on the network, so I can't point Dropbox for Windows to the Dropbox folder in the Mac system. I could of course move the Dropbox folder to Windows but that wouldn't be satisfactory. Also it is possible to fool Dropbox in using it all the same (pointing a drive letter to a local place, and then moving it), but I don't want to do this kind of tinkering.

So I'm back to Dropbox for Mac. (Using Dropbox for Windows wouldn't have been satisfactory anyway, because I want it to work even if I don't use Parallels.)

Everything fine apart for the mysterious XLS.TTX clean up issue.
Collapse

Jacques DP
Switzerland
English to French
TOPIC STARTER
For the record, how I solved it Jun 19, 2013

I ended up using Dropbox on both OS X and Windows-in-Parallels, with Dropbox folders in both file systems, synchronized with one another.

It might seem like a nuisance to have one's data in two separate places, but it is not so because I can access the data in either place indifferently, so I don't need to think about it. Typically Windows apps will access the data in the Windows file system and Mac apps in the Mac file system. But they are the same data, and they are all there in b
... See more
I ended up using Dropbox on both OS X and Windows-in-Parallels, with Dropbox folders in both file systems, synchronized with one another.

It might seem like a nuisance to have one's data in two separate places, but it is not so because I can access the data in either place indifferently, so I don't need to think about it. Typically Windows apps will access the data in the Windows file system and Mac apps in the Mac file system. But they are the same data, and they are all there in both cases.

I've been using this setup for a few weeks and so far I think it is satisfactory. Actually, I did this originally to solve another problem, namely to get my TO3000 database in the Dropbox folder though TO3000 won't work with network locations. So at first I created a Windows Dropbox folder and configured it so that only one folder (with the database) would synchronize. Then I removed this restriction, thinking that this would solve the problem in this thread as well and that I would work with the clone pair setup described above.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Parallels + Dropbox issue

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »