Evdoxia Renta
United Kingdom
Local time: 21:51
English to Greek
+ ...
Aug 5, 2013

Hi,

I've recently migrated from PC to Mac.
While I was ready to buy the long Mac keyboard, some friends advised me to use my old Logitech solar keyboard. And I did!

The problem is that some shortcuts do not work in Logitech.
For example, I can't press SHIFT+CTRL+right arrow to move/select per word.
Also, none of the functional keys work (volume on/off, calculator, mute, etc).

I haven't been able to find any app that will make my Logitech
... See more
Hi,

While I was ready to buy the long Mac keyboard, some friends advised me to use my old Logitech solar keyboard. And I did!

I haven't been able to find any app that will make my Logitech compatible with the mac.

Which keyboard do you currently use?

thank you
evi

[Edited at 2013-08-05 12:20 GMT]
Collapse

Lincoln Hui
Lincoln Hui  Identity Verified
Hong Kong
Local time: 04:51
Chinese to English
+ ...
Mac hater passing by Aug 5, 2013

Evdoxia Renta wrote:

Hi,

I haven't been able to find any app that will make my Logitech compatible with the mac.

Which keyboard do you currently use?

thank you
evi

[Edited at 2013-08-05 12:20 GMT]

If my knowledge is correct, it's not so much that the keys are not working as that MacOS maps keys differently from Windows, so the shortcuts may very well work; it's just not on the same keys as you are used to.

Solution A is to find out what the corresponding keys are and stick a label on them.
Solution B, of course, is to buy a Mac keyboard. And I'll be darned if I knew why Apple refuses to produce keyboards with real keys that actually makes you feel like you're typing.

[Edited at 2013-08-05 13:02 GMT]

Carolyn Yohn
Carolyn Yohn  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 13:51
French to English
+ ...
Tactile Pro Aug 5, 2013

I can't speak to your shortcut issues (though it is true that Macs map them differently---I love how much easier it is to type accent marks on my Mac!). However, I can tell you that I am in love with my keyboard, the Tactile Pro:
http://matias.ca/tactilepro/

It can be a little loud, so if you have young children that take naps or you tend to work late into the night and have a roommate, it
... See more
I can't speak to your shortcut issues (though it is true that Macs map them differently---I love how much easier it is to type accent marks on my Mac!). However, I can tell you that I am in love with my keyboard, the Tactile Pro:
http://matias.ca/tactilepro/

It can be a little loud, so if you have young children that take naps or you tend to work late into the night and have a roommate, it could be a problem. But the keys are very responsive, you don't have to strike as firmly, and it feels like a "real" keyboard. I highly recommend it!
Collapse

wilhelm_zwo (X)
wilhelm_zwo (X)
Netherlands
Local time: 22:51
German to Dutch
Keys Aug 5, 2013

That is ALT instead of CTRL on a Mac:

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1343

About the function keys not working: either press Fn + function key, or tick this box:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/15919910/MBP/Screen%20Shot%202013-08-05%20at%206.48.19%20PM.png

Meta Arkadia
Meta Arkadia
Local time: 03:51
English to Indonesian
+ ...
Play the guitar, Aug 6, 2013

well, not that big, use the much smaller, misspelled Ukelele. It's seems it even comes with predefined layouts for Logitec. This mini guitar is "free" at that.
I don't use Ukelele, though, I prefer the superior wireless aluminum  keyboard.

Cheers,

Hans

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Best keyboard for iMac?

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »