Bruno Depascale  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 18:30
Member (2009)
English to Italian
+ ...
Dec 10, 2013

Dear Colleagues,
I am considering to buy DNS for working purposes, that is, to use it with Trados 2014, Across and Memoq, which I run on a virtual machine in an mac environment.
I wanted to ask your advice about which version to buy, the version for windows OS or for the mac OS?
I ask you this because my imac already has a dictation feature, which works well also in the virtual machine (both in Trados and in Across).
So, could you help me in deciding which is the best opt
... See more
Dear Colleagues,
I am considering to buy DNS for working purposes, that is, to use it with Trados 2014, Across and Memoq, which I run on a virtual machine in an mac environment.
I wanted to ask your advice about which version to buy, the version for windows OS or for the mac OS?
I ask you this because my imac already has a dictation feature, which works well also in the virtual machine (both in Trados and in Across).
So, could you help me in deciding which is the best option?
Unfortunately, DNS is not available as a free trial, so I cannot test it before buying it.
Thank you for your help!
Collapse

Fiona Grace Peterson
Fiona Grace Peterson  Identity Verified
Italy
Italian to English
ML Dictation vs Dragon for Mac Dec 10, 2013

Macworld did a good job of comparing Nuance's Dragon for Mac with Mountain Lion dictate.
I had been considering Dragon but this put me off a little! I know it doesn't quite answer your query but it may be of interest.

http://www.macworld.com/article/2014417/mountain-lion-dictation-versus-dragon-dictate.html

Stefan Budrich
Stefan Budrich  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2005)
English to German
Recommend WIN version of DNS for use w Parallels (30 days money-back) Dec 10, 2013

About a year ago I used to employ the Mac version of DNS (Dragon Dictate) in an environment similar to yours (iMac, Parallels, Trados, DVX). I can confirm that the Mac version did not produce useful dictation results when used within the Windows application. It turned out erroneous characters – as if the coding setting was wrong. I had not purchased Dictate for this particular purpose, so I did not investigate any further.
My conclusion is therefore that if you plan on using DNS in your
... See more
About a year ago I used to employ the Mac version of DNS (Dragon Dictate) in an environment similar to yours (iMac, Parallels, Trados, DVX). I can confirm that the Mac version did not produce useful dictation results when used within the Windows application. It turned out erroneous characters – as if the coding setting was wrong. I had not purchased Dictate for this particular purpose, so I did not investigate any further.
My conclusion is therefore that if you plan on using DNS in your Windows application you will need to buy a Windows version.

While Nuance does not seem to have a free demo version they do have a 30-day money back guarantee, at least on the German EMEAR site.
http://shop.nuance.de/store?Action=DisplayReturnAndCancellationsPage&Env=BASE&Locale=de_DE&SiteID=nuanceeu&ThemeID=26429600#q1
I had to return a purchase once and it worked without fail.

Hope this helps a bit.

Stefan Budrich

tsglobal
Language Service Providers

www.tsglobal.de
Collapse

Bruno Depascale
Bruno Depascale  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2009)
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you! Dec 11, 2013

Dear Fiona and Stefan,
thank you for your advices, I really appreciate it.
I think that DNS is pretty superior with respect to mac built-in recognition software.
I translate medical texts, so I should "train" the software to recognize many technical terms.
However, maybe the last version of parallels allows a bigger integration between windows and mac, allowing me to use the mac version of DNS.
Unfortunately, seems that nobody else knows about this matter. I have al
... See more
Dear Fiona and Stefan,
thank you for your advices, I really appreciate it.
I think that DNS is pretty superior with respect to mac built-in recognition software.
I translate medical texts, so I should "train" the software to recognize many technical terms.
However, maybe the last version of parallels allows a bigger integration between windows and mac, allowing me to use the mac version of DNS.
Unfortunately, seems that nobody else knows about this matter. I have also tried writing to DNS support, but they haven't answered yet, and I think they have no clue about this matter.
So, I think that I will buy the windows version (just to be on the safe side).
Thank you very much for your help!
Bruno
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Dragon naturally speaking on a virtual machine

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »