File commander: Crax or DCommander
Thread poster: 2nl (X)
2nl (X)
2nl (X)  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 10:59
Jun 10, 2014

I used to use the free muCommander but I started missing a decent preview feature. For Windows there are many, very good file commanders (TotalCommander being my favourite). For OS X there aren't that many file commanders available, probably because most Mac users prefer the Finder (and combine it with Automator scripts, e.g. multi-rename). Whereas I prefer an integrated solution.

I examined both Crax and DCommander. When I started testing them, a couple of months ago, I found both
... See more
I used to use the free muCommander but I started missing a decent preview feature. For Windows there are many, very good file commanders (TotalCommander being my favourite). For OS X there aren't that many file commanders available, probably because most Mac users prefer the Finder (and combine it with Automator scripts, e.g. multi-rename). Whereas I prefer an integrated solution.

I examined both Crax and DCommander. When I started testing them, a couple of months ago, I found both quite disappointing (and I returned to muCommander). Since them, several new builds have been released and things are starting to look good. In its latest incarnation (1.6.2) Crax offers lockable and resizable tabs. I can now correctly map Preview to F3 (and Quickview to Shift+F3). Zipping works correctly on multiple files (unlike in DCommander, where I've reported an anomaly). And the developer of Crax has sent me an e-mail, describing how to configure Crax to execute an AppleScript (e.g. Create client job folder) on selected files. I've requested adding Compression (zipping) both to the icon bar and the function key bar (I hope it'll be added). I've also requested to make the Directory hotlist (‘Bookmarks’) editable, sortable and allow abbreviated folder names (just like in muCommander/TotalCommander). Hope that this will be added too.
Collapse

Dan Lucas
Dan Lucas  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 09:59
Member (2014)
Japanese to English
If you haven't tried a file utility, you should Jun 10, 2014

2nl wrote:
I used to use the free muCommander but I started missing a decent preview feature. For Windows there are many, very good file commanders (TotalCommander being my favourite).

I just want to step in and amplify 2nl's underlying point, which is that these utilities can reduce the effort of working with files in Windows, OSX or Linux. Compared to the default file managers (e.g. Windows Explorer) the dual-pane views offered by file commanders make copying, moving, viewing, deleting, archiving, compressing, ftp'ing and editing files significantly easier.

On Windows I have used Directory Opus for literally decades and would be lost without it. It is an instantly useful piece of software that you can make it as simple or as complex as you wish. 2nl mentions Total Commander, which is the other heavyweight in the field. And of course there are freeware alternatives such as Free Commander.

Apologies to 2nl for the minor thread hijack.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

File commander: Crax or DCommander

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »