BabelOn-line
BabelOn-line
United Kingdom
Local time: 06:17
English to French
+ ...
Jul 18, 2014

Hello, Prozians,

I am currently working on a 100 pages Word document (in .docx format).

My iMac is very recent, loaded with Ram (16 Gb) and I have the latest versions Office 2011 (14.4.3) and OSX (10.9.4) installed.

For some reason, this .docx file makes Word hang, i.e. Word becomes unresponsive for 10 to 20 seconds at a time, it will not react when you try to click the cursor somewhere on the page,...

This is erratic, I can sometimes e
... See more
Hello, Prozians,

I am currently working on a 100 pages Word document (in .docx format).

My iMac is very recent, loaded with Ram (16 Gb) and I have the latest versions Office 2011 (14.4.3) and OSX (10.9.4) installed.

For some reason, this .docx file makes Word hang, i.e. Word becomes unresponsive for 10 to 20 seconds at a time, it will not react when you try to click the cursor somewhere on the page,...

This is erratic, I can sometimes edit the main text body for a while with no problem but all the sudden, Word goes on strike.

The file is a mix of landscape and portrait pages, the graphic content is fairly low, structure of the document is straightforward and I am completely at lost to figure out why this happens. Initially, the fonts used where not installed on my system but i have now converted all of hem to Arial.

Files seems to display fine on my old-ish PC laptop with Windows 7.

Anyone has any idea what could cause this (bar from the usual conspiracy theory and the guys at Microsoft deliberately sabotaging anything to do with Mac)?

Thanks!
Collapse

2nl (X)
2nl (X)  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 07:17
Some possible approaches Jul 20, 2014

You can send the DOCX to me. I have an iMac and a MacBook Pro, both with 16 GB RAM. I can try to open the document and navigate in it. If I don't notice any slowdown, at least you know that your problems are related to your Mac .

One other approach:

• Rename the DOCX to DOCX.zip.
  • Open the zip file (e.g. with the free muCommander).
  • Navigate to the folder:
    /Users/Name/D... See more
  • You can send the DOCX to me. I have an iMac and a MacBook Pro, both with 16 GB RAM. I can try to open the document and navigate in it. If I don't notice any slowdown, at least you know that your problems are related to your Mac .

One other approach:

• Rename the DOCX to DOCX.zip.
  • Open the zip file (e.g. with the free muCommander).
  • Navigate to the folder:
    /Users/Name/Desktop/Test.docx.zip/word/media/
  • Delete all images there (store them elsewhere).
  • Close the zip.
  • Rename DOCX.zip to DOCX.
  • Open the stripped down document in Word:mac.

I have a DOCX file ("Take control of Automating your Mac", created from the PDF that I've bought from the author), it has a size of 4.4 MB and contains 204 pages. After taking out the images (like described above), the file size is reduced to 362 KB.

Yet another approach:

If you have to do simple text editing, you can use CafeTran for this. CafeTran runs very well on a Mac (I use it for all my technical translations, normally 100 - 200 pages in size). It is very fast and stable too.

What you'd have to do is:

• Open (import) the DOCX in CafeTran.
  • Populate all target segments (Task > Transfer source segments to target segments).
  • Make the necessary modifications (including joining and splitting segments, adding and removing basic formatting). You can even check the spelling and do some QA tasks that are useful for monolingual editing.
  • Export the edited DOCX.

Good luck,

Hans ▲ Collapse

•  
    BabelOn-line
    BabelOn-line
    United Kingdom
    English to French
    + ...
    TOPIC STARTER
    Thanks, Hans Jul 20, 2014

Thanks for you suggestion, very kind of you to take time to answer.

I would have been more than happy to send the file over, but it is confidential - nothing majorly secret, but that's the blanket agreement with this client.

File is 100 pages and 2.8 MB, there are few images or anything to slow things down. But maybe images create some other kind of trouble, else than their size?

My Mac is a a bit of a beast (2 x i7 3.5 Ghz chips, 16 Gb RAM and a 2
    ... See more
    Thanks for you suggestion, very kind of you to take time to answer.

I would have been more than happy to send the file over, but it is confidential - nothing majorly secret, but that's the blanket agreement with this client.

File is 100 pages and 2.8 MB, there are few images or anything to slow things down. But maybe images create some other kind of trouble, else than their size?

My Mac is a a bit of a beast (2 x i7 3.5 Ghz chips, 16 Gb RAM and a 2 Gb video card): the Activity Monitor shows that it is not remotely breaking a sweat even when Word stalls/hangs on this Word file. It is not a case of resource hogging.

Last night, I found that using the "Draft view" instead of the "Print Layout view" cured the problem (except for the fact I cannot see the formatting and the graphics made with Smart Art), so at least i can make progress on the bulk of the file. I may have to do the final edits on a PC, which is thoroughly silly.

I see your point about either trying to get the pictures out (clients routinely send us Word files containing dozens of full size digital photos – they don't seem to understand that scaling down the picture display size does not make graphics lighter). I will give it a go, be it just to check if images could be the reason the file hangs.

I thought about using OmegaT to bypass the problem, but the document is really hard to edit under OmegaT, even after applying CodeZapper to clarify the tag soup. I may use OmegaT at the end for the text embedded in smart graphics.

On my 4 years old laptop PC, the document handles well.

I have even downloaded Office 365, the one month demo version, only to find out this was not a new version of Office for mac, but a licensing system.

So, will try to remove the pictures with the neat trick you mentioned (zip file) and try. Will let you know.

Thanks for the tip!

JEan
    Collapse

2nl (X)
    Netherlands
    Tag soup solver Jul 20, 2014

BabelOn-line wrote:

I thought about using OmegaT to bypass the problem, but the document is really hard to edit under OmegaT, even after applying CodeZapper to clarify the tag soup. I may use OmegaT at the end for the text embedded in smart graphics.

Normally there are few or no tags at all in DOCX projects, created with CafeTran. The DOCX filter is pretty good. Not sure about the current status of text in embedded graphics.

Ah, I see, it should be imported too:

2014-04-11 Text in MS Word ‘SmartArt graphics’ is now imported into CafeTran. This text can be found if you rename the .docx file to .zip, unzip it, and look in the various folders here: (1) C:\Users\usr\Desktop\example word document.docx.zip\word\embeddings, (2) C:\Users\usr\Desktop\example word document.docx.zip\word\diagrams, (3) C:\Users\usr\Desktop\example word document.docx.zip\word\charts. Some examples of these objects can be seen here and here (screenshots open in a new window).

Probably a Michael Request .

BabelOn-line
    BabelOn-line
    United Kingdom
    English to French
    + ...
    TOPIC STARTER
    Tag soup Jul 20, 2014

Hans

The doc had quite a number of redundant tags. As often, this document probably started its life quite some time ago as a .doc and slowly evolved into a .docx, collecting all sort of redundant formatting along the way.

I rarely use TM as my stuff is mostly editorial (and hence with a limited number of repeats), but I have to say that when i use OmegaT, CodeZapper is an absolute life saver, turning barely usable documents into clean source for OmegaT. I think it cost
    ... See more
    Hans

The doc had quite a number of redundant tags. As often, this document probably started its life quite some time ago as a .doc and slowly evolved into a .docx, collecting all sort of redundant formatting along the way.

I rarely use TM as my stuff is mostly editorial (and hence with a limited number of repeats), but I have to say that when i use OmegaT, CodeZapper is an absolute life saver, turning barely usable documents into clean source for OmegaT. I think it costs 20 euro, and that's probably one of the best investment I have ever done.

Will now try to remove all the pictures. I that solves my problem, it is worth doing and copying the pics back in at a later stage.

Again, thx for your help.
    Collapse

Meta Arkadia
    Meta Arkadia
    Local time: 12:17
    English to Indonesian
    + ...
    LibreOffice Jul 20, 2014

Did you try the good ol' trick of opening the *.docx in LibreOffice (OpenOffice), save it as *.odt, open it again, and save as *.docx? Opening the *.docx in LibreOffice would be a nice experiment anyway to see if that app can handle the file, but there's also a good chance the resulting *.docx can be opened in Word:mac since the process of "saving as" somehow seems to get rid of superflous tags.

Cheers,

Hans

2nl (X)
    Netherlands
    Please don't delete the images Jul 20, 2014

BabelOn-line wrote:

Hans

Yes, or created from a PDF. Want I wanted to say: with CT you get results that equal the results of CZ.

Will now try to remove all the pictures. I that solves my problem, it is worth doing and copying the pics back in at a later stage.

Again, thx for your help.

Please follow the procedure described above (don't delete the images from the loaded document, sounds like you were going to do that). Afterwards, just put the images back in the zip, rename to DOCX et voila, Bob is your uncle. No pasting and resizing needed. That's the beauty of it.

BabelOn-line
    BabelOn-line
    United Kingdom
    English to French
    + ...
    TOPIC STARTER
    Got it! Jul 20, 2014

I see! Brilliant: you remove the images but keep the "placeholders' in the Word document.

Will try this, that's a great idea.

Thanks for your input, Hans.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Word 2011 for Mac hangs with large .docx document

Wordfast Pro
    Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
    TM-Town
    Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »