Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3]
Using MS Office on Mac for translating
Thread poster: Ivona McCormick
2nl (X)
2nl (X)  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 20:19
Matte Apr 11, 2015

I just had to reboot my iMac Retina and could see the difference in reflexions between a new Thunderbold Display (at the left) with old technique and the new iMac with the new anti-reflection technique:

I have no idea why Proz is displaying this image mirrored.

[Edited at 2015-04-11 07:52 GMT]

Erik Freitag
Erik Freitag  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2006)
Dutch to German
+ ...
Thanks for the picture Apr 11, 2015

Thanks for the picture! Although the new model monitors seem to have less reflection indeed, this is far(!) more than I would be willing tolerate for working purposes.

From the marketing blurb you quoted: "astoundingly low reflection — and vibrant, accurate colors" - My staple monitors show practically no reflexion at all. I couldn't care less about vibrant, accurate colors: I don't want to watch movies or pictures, I'm not in the printing business. I just want to be look
... See more
Thanks for the picture! Although the new model monitors seem to have less reflection indeed, this is far(!) more than I would be willing tolerate for working purposes.

From the marketing blurb you quoted: "astoundingly low reflection — and vibrant, accurate colors" - My staple monitors show practically no reflexion at all. I couldn't care less about vibrant, accurate colors: I don't want to watch movies or pictures, I'm not in the printing business. I just want to be looking at a screen that doesn't strain my eyes. Which so far all the glossy Apple products do.
Collapse

Michael Beijer
Michael Beijer  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 19:19
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
Mac mirroring photos? Apr 11, 2015

2nl wrote:

I just had to reboot my iMac Retina and could see the difference in reflexions between a new Thunderbold Display (at the left) with old technique and the new iMac with the new anti-reflection technique:

I have no idea why Proz is displaying this image mirrored.

[Edited at 2015-04-11 07:52 GMT]

Jen used to get this strange problem (mirrored photos) when transferring photos from her mac to a PC, so it might be that.

2nl (X)
Netherlands
I think it's a Proz issue Apr 12, 2015

Hello dear Michael,

I think that it is a Proz thing. Note that if you click on the image to enlarge it, the image is displayed correctly.

It would be nice if Proz would allow us to directly upload any images, instead of going this stony path of embedding content from other repositories.

Good luck with your family project today!

Hans

Michael Beijer
Michael Beijer  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 19:19
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
What code did you use to embed it? Apr 12, 2015

I always use the following, and have never had this problem:

< ☺ img src="url" alt="some_text" ☺ > (which I store in an easily accessible place in my clipboard manager)(note that I added a few spaces (guess where?) so the code would display correctly here.)

[Edited at 2015-04-12 08:47 GMT]

Charles Ek
Charles Ek  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 13:19
Member (2009)
Norwegian to English
+ ...
Happy Mac user since 1984 – happy translating with Macs since 2009 Apr 16, 2015

Ivona, I am a confirmed Mac user since 1984 and have used Macs in my translation business for the past six years (two iMacs and a MacBook Pro, plus an iPhone and iPad). No Parallels for me. I've only used a Windows machine when compelled by an employer, which is not something I've thought about subjecting myself to since I started freelancing.

I use Office and I have no compatibility issues exchanging its documents with Windows users (there used to be issues some years ago, so don't
... See more
Ivona, I am a confirmed Mac user since 1984 and have used Macs in my translation business for the past six years (two iMacs and a MacBook Pro, plus an iPhone and iPad). No Parallels for me. I've only used a Windows machine when compelled by an employer, which is not something I've thought about subjecting myself to since I started freelancing.

I use Office and I have no compatibility issues exchanging its documents with Windows users (there used to be issues some years ago, so don't be discouraged by out-of-date complaints.)

My CAT tool is OmegaT, which may be irrelevant to you but I like to throw it in the faces of people who deny its usefulness.

I do my accounting on Quicken.

I do my billing on ProZ.

My email, contacts, calendar and bookmarks are all linked and instantly updated via iCloud.

I don't discuss security issues publicly, so I'm afraid I can't help you with that. Rest assured there are very good solutions available for security and backup.

I've only done some audio transcription and translation with ExpressScribe, never any subtitling, but I am pretty sure there are native Mac solutions available for that. After all, the creative types are all wedded to Macs, as far as I can tell.

The 27 inch iMac screen (even in the older version I have) is a tremendous boon for working efficiently. I can display source and target files side-by-side, and I will never go back to using a smaller screen except on a laptop.

Good luck with your journey!
Collapse

Meta Arkadia
Meta Arkadia
Local time: 01:19
English to Indonesian
+ ...
Like this Apr 17, 2015

Charles Ek wrote:
I can display source and target files side-by-side

CAT tool, main dictionary, and source document on one screen.

Cheers,

Hans

2nl (X)
Netherlands
Imagine ... Apr 17, 2015

Meta Arkadia wrote:

CAT tool, main dictionary, and source document on one screen.

Imagine that you would have a Thunderbolt Display as a secondary screen to display all your extra resources.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Using MS Office on Mac for translating

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »