Neil Coffey
Neil Coffey  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 16:25
French to English
+ ...
CPU isn't the *only* factor, but... Apr 12, 2015

Dominique Pivard wrote:
So the MacBook 2015 has a slower processor than the MacBook Air 2011. Big deal. I have the MacBook Air 2010 (which is thus even slower than the 2011 model) and I can run heavy-duty tools like Studio 2014 or memoQ 2014 in a virtual machine without problems.

I think this is partly true, but... when you buy a machine, you are also generally projecting how things will be in a few years time and what the general attitude will be among developers in, say, half that lifetime.

So cast your mind forward to, say, 2017. The gamble you're taking is whether you think that the developers of TRADOS 2017 will be prioritising their development work into ensuring that their new generation of fluffy match algorithms run efficiently on a 1GHz processor.

This could conceivably be the case. But I don't think we're at the point where spending a grand on one of these devices is exactly investing your money in guaranteed future-proofing...

Jenna Malcomson
Jenna Malcomson  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Spanish to English
+ ...
Any tips on what laptop to go for? Jul 11, 2015

Neil Coffey wrote:

Dominique Pivard wrote:
So the MacBook 2015 has a slower processor than the MacBook Air 2011. Big deal. I have the MacBook Air 2010 (which is thus even slower than the 2011 model) and I can run heavy-duty tools like Studio 2014 or memoQ 2014 in a virtual machine without problems.

I think this is partly true, but... when you buy a machine, you are also generally projecting how things will be in a few years time and what the general attitude will be among developers in, say, half that lifetime.

So cast your mind forward to, say, 2017. The gamble you're taking is whether you think that the developers of TRADOS 2017 will be prioritising their development work into ensuring that their new generation of fluffy match algorithms run efficiently on a 1GHz processor.

This could conceivably be the case. But I don't think we're at the point where spending a grand on one of these devices is exactly investing your money in guaranteed future-proofing...

My current laptop is about to kick the bucket and I really wanted to change to a mac, partly because it gets the top reviews on Amazon, however, I recently bought MemoQ without thinking about compatibility because at that time I wasn't thinking about buying a new laptop. I have no clue about running parallel operating systems- can anyone give me an idea what the cost of this is, if there is anyone on here with any experience of doing this? Also, what are your thoughts on doing this?

If you think that there are any other pc laptops which are almost as good as a Mac can you recommend them to me?

2nl (X)
2nl (X)  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 17:25
Why would you need to use a Windows CAT tool? Jul 11, 2015

Fernando Toledo wrote:

I like the hardware, and I need to use a Windows CAT.

I'm just curious: Why would you need to use a Windows CAT tool? What specific features do you use that are not supported by CAT tools that don't require Windows?

Fernando Toledo
Fernando Toledo  Identity Verified
Spain
German to Spanish
TOPIC STARTER
Easy Jul 11, 2015

2nl wrote:

Fernando Toledo wrote:

I'm just curious: Why would you need to use a Windows CAT tool? What specific features do you use that are not supported by CAT tools that don't require Windows?

My main client use MemoQ server...

Anyway, why I have to limit myself to a few CATs if I can access to all using VMWare?

[Edited at 2015-07-12 09:36 GMT]

2nl (X)
Netherlands
mQ projects on a Mac Jul 11, 2015

Fernando Toledo wrote:

2nl wrote:

Fernando Toledo wrote:

Anyway, why I have to limit myself to a few CATs if I can access to all using VMWare?

[Edited at 2015-07-11 17:12 GMT]

Mine too. And Studio projects. So that is not a reason to use virtualization. You can handle them without VMware.

Regarding your question about limiting yourself: why limit yourself to the Windows platform if you can handle mQ projects on other operating systems too?

Michael Beijer
Michael Beijer  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
:~) Jul 11, 2015

2nl wrote:

Fernando Toledo wrote:

2nl wrote:

Fernando Toledo wrote:

[Edited at 2015-07-11 17:12 GMT]

Mine too. And Studio projects. So that is not a reason to use virtualization. You can handle them without VMware.

Regarding your question about limiting yourself: why limit yourself to the Windows platform if you can handle mQ projects on other operating systems too?

Hi Hans,

Isn't it true though that some agencies require you to connect to their memoQ server from inside memoQ, which would of course mean you'd have to have memoQ installed on your computer (possibly inside a VM).

However, it is also perfectly possible to translate all kinds of memoQ and Studio files inside CafeTran without needing the actual programs.

One little problem though is that it is always better to have the CAT tool in question installed on your computer so you can do one last check in the native program.

Fernando Toledo
Fernando Toledo  Identity Verified
Spain
German to Spanish
TOPIC STARTER
Exact Jul 11, 2015

Michael Beijer wrote:

Hi Hans,

Isn't it true though that some agencies require you to connect to their memoQ server from inside memoQ, which would of course mean you'd have to have memoQ installed on your computer (possibly inside a VM).

Yes, I get no files, just a server connection.

Anyway, I insist, why should I not use Windows together with IOS X? I have a i7 with 16 GB am 500 SSD, performance is not a problem. Best of two worlds, Mac is NOT anymore the best system, they sleep the last 5 -6 years, and I do not use any Apple application at all. NO ONE! Well only iTunes cause I am forced (we all know how Apple act forcing you to use own applications like iCloud, Mail, etc.) ;-(

[Edited at 2015-07-12 08:14 GMT]

2nl (X)
Netherlands
Of course you can use Windows on a MacBook: just don't claim that it's absolutely necessary Jul 12, 2015

Fernando Toledo wrote:

Anyway, I insist, why should I not use Windows together with IOS X?

I think that you mean OS X here (there is no such thing as IOS X: there is OS X and iOS).

Of course you can use Windows on a MacBook. But please, don't claim that it's absolutely necessary to do so. It is a personal preference (and one that you are absolutely entitled to).

However, it is perfectly possible to do your work as a translator, without using Windows and still handle memoQ and Studio projects. You will have to make arrangements with your clients about QA and delivery.

Regarding the QA I can say this: Based on hundreds of memoQ and Studio projects translated in another app, I claim that if the QA of this app (not running on Windows) is good, no errors will be found during QA in memoQ or Studio.

So this actually limits the handling of memoQ server projects to either the willingness of your clients to provide MQXLIFF files or your ability to create those yourself (for which you will need Windows of course ).

Jenna Malcomson
United Kingdom
Spanish to English
+ ...
Can you explain further..? Jul 12, 2015

2nl wrote:

Fernando Toledo wrote:

I think that you mean OS X here (there is no such thing as IOS X: there is OS X and iOS).

Of course you can use Windows on a MacBook. But please, don't claim that it's absolutely necessary to do so. It is a personal preference (and one that you are absolutely entitled to).

However, it is perfectly possible to do your work as a translator, without using Windows and still handle memoQ and Studio projects. You will have to make arrangements with your clients about QA and delivery.

Regarding the QA I can say this: Based on hundreds of memoQ and Studio projects translated in another app, I claim that if the QA of this app (not running on Windows) is good, no errors will be found during QA in memoQ or Studio.

So this actually limits the handling of memoQ server projects to either the willingness of your clients to provide MQXLIFF files or your ability to create those yourself (for which you will need Windows of course ).

I have just recently bought MemoQ but I need a new laptop. I would love to buy a Mac but I am not sure about the idea of running parallels. What do you mean when you say that one can still handle MemoQ without Windows?

Would appreciate your wisdom- thanks!

Michael Beijer
Michael Beijer  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
My two cents Jul 13, 2015

Jenna Malcomson wrote:

2nl wrote:

Fernando Toledo wrote:

I have just recently bought MemoQ but I need a new laptop. I would love to buy a Mac but I am not sure about the idea of running parallels. What do you mean when you say that one can still handle MemoQ without Windows?

Would appreciate your wisdom- thanks!

What Hans means is certain CAT tools are actually very good at handling the file formats of other CAT tools. For example, CafeTran, which is a Java program and can therefore run on OS X, is very good at processing files from, e.g., memoQ, Transit and Studio.

While it is perfectly possible to translate memoQ files in CAT tools other than memoQ, for example in CafeTran on a Mac, if you plan on regularly translating memoQ files, and maybe also SDL Studio files, I recommend you only choose to go the Mac-only road if you are relatively computer savvy.

The same applies to people who wish to run Windows virtually on their Mac via Parallels (so as to have access to Windows software they might require for work): only do so if you know what you are doing. If you don't, there is a very real chance you will be wasting your money as you will very likely end up having to buy a Windows computer anyway sometime down the road.

Having said that, even if you aren't that computer savvy, you can still get by using only a Mac, and zero Windows software, but you will probably have to forgo accepting jobs that require memoQ or Studio.

Hope this clarifies things somewhat!

Michael

Meta Arkadia
Meta Arkadia
Local time: 22:25
English to Indonesian
+ ...
No Windows Jul 13, 2015

I've translated hundreds - if not thousands - of Trados TTX and SDLXLIFF files on my Mac without having Windows, let alone Studio, installed, and without any problems. However, I think in that case, you should inform the client you can "handle" those files, but that you don't use the original software.

Cheers,

Hans

[Edited at 2015-07-13 00:48 GMT]

Jenna Malcomson
United Kingdom
Spanish to English
+ ...
Running parallels Jul 13, 2015

Thanks for your reply Michael. I am not particularly tech savvy so I think I would need to avoid trying to complicate things for myself.

Can anyone with any experience of running parallels tell me their experience of this- i.e. is it hard to do, much more expensive, and does it cause the laptop to slow down a lot?

Meta Arkadia
Meta Arkadia
Local time: 22:25
English to Indonesian
+ ...
Not hard to do, not expensive - free (as in free beer) if you want Jul 13, 2015

Jenna Malcomson wrote:
Can anyone with any experience of running parallels tell me their experience of this- i.e. is it hard to do, much more expensive, and does it cause the laptop to slow down a lot?

To create a virtual machine (to be able to run Windows), you don't really need to install Parallels. There are alternatives, including a free option, VirtualBox that's pretty good. You'll still need a copy of Windows, of course. Setting it up is pretty easy nowadays.
The other option to run Windows is BootCamp. It comes with your Mac, so it's free as well. In the case of BootCamp, you install Windows natively on the Mac, which has the advantage that you can use all the hardware resources of you Mac for Windows, and the disadvantage that you'll have to re-boot (re-start) every time you want to go from Windows to OS X or vice-versa. Re-booting is fast, though.
Or... don't use Windows at all.

Cheers,

Hans

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Parallels is much better because.... Jul 13, 2015

.....Parallels is much better because as the name suggests, it runs Windows parallel, i.e. alongside, the MacOS and you simply switch between the 2 systems as required whereas with BootCamp and VirtualBox you do have to re-boot every time, which for all practical purposes would be a real pain in the ***.

For some very good demos of Pa
... See more
.....Parallels is much better because as the name suggests, it runs Windows parallel, i.e. alongside, the MacOS and you simply switch between the 2 systems as required whereas with BootCamp and VirtualBox you do have to re-boot every time, which for all practical purposes would be a real pain in the ***.

For some very good demos of Parallels, see here:

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=parallels%20desktop

I don't use Parallels myself but I've seen it in action used by colleagues and I must say it's very cool when the whole screen just pivots on itself, from MacOS to Windows and viceversa....

[Edited at 2015-07-13 15:07 GMT]
Collapse

Erik Freitag
Erik Freitag  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2006)
Dutch to German
+ ...
Another happy Parallels user Jul 13, 2015

Another happy Parallels user here: Easy to set up, works like a charm. Actually, Windows 7 runs a lot more stable than and at least as fast as on my former PC, probably because I have installed only a small number of software products (Studio 2014, TO3000, some dictionaries), so the registry is and stays quite clean.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

New MacBook

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »