Mac mini + Macbook: Will I need to buy apps twice?
Thread poster: Erik Freitag
Erik Freitag
Erik Freitag  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 07:00
Member (2006)
Dutch to German
+ ...
Oct 14, 2015

Dear colleagues,

I'm using a Mac mini, and I'm thinking of adding a Macbook Pro. I have a very basic question:

I know that whenever my wife buys an app for her iPad, it will automatically appear on her iPhone as well. Will this be the same with my Mac mini and the Macbook? Or will I need to buy apps individually for each of both?

Many thanks in advance,
kind regards,
Erik

Arek Luczyk
Arek Luczyk
Poland
English to Polish
+ ...
Yes Oct 14, 2015

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202152

2nl (X)
2nl (X)  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Apps are linked to your iCloud account Oct 14, 2015

Apps are linked to your iCloud account, so you can use them on two devices at least.

Erik Freitag
Erik Freitag  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2006)
Dutch to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks! Oct 14, 2015

Thanks for confirming this! Just the answer I wanted to hear!

Regards,
Erik

DZiW (X)
DZiW (X)
Ukraine
English to Russian
+ ...
Clouding Oct 15, 2015

iCloud works even further--for proper applications you can play/work on, say, iPad, pause it, and happily continue on, say, related Macbook. Yet mind it, that deleting/modifying something on your one device compromises the data on *all* your clouded devices! I was sorely disappointed when deleted by mistake songs 'got synchronized'--deleted from my all devices too...

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Local time: 06:00
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Personally Oct 15, 2015

Erik Freitag wrote:

Dear colleagues,

I'm using a Mac mini, and I'm thinking of adding a Macbook Pro. I have a very basic question:

I know that whenever my wife buys an app for her iPad, it will automatically appear on her iPhone as well. Will this be the same with my Mac mini and the Macbook? Or will I need to buy apps individually for each of both?

Many thanks in advance,
kind regards,
Erik

Speaking personally, if I went out today and bought an extra Mac I would just clone the entire hard drive of my existing Mac (the only I'm working on right now, which is completely up to date) to the new Mac (deleting anything that happens to be on the new Mac, if anything). I would expect that to take about 1-2 hours using Carbon Copy Cloner. I do a daily clone anyway from one Mac to another (I currently use two actively - discounting the old ones in the cupboard).

[Edited at 2015-10-15 09:53 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Mac mini + Macbook: Will I need to buy apps twice?

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »