PC v Mac > Macbook Air v Macbook Pro
Thread poster: AlChe
2nl (X)
2nl (X)  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 12:23
Not listed in the CrossOver list of compatible apps Nov 4, 2015

Bogusław Kucharski wrote:
I found LexLand (Leksykonia) system a reliable source, especially medical and technical dictionaries.

They look indeed very useful to me. If I'm not mistaken, those dictionary engines aren't too complicated software (but I can be completely wrong here). I had a quick look at the list of supported Windows apps for CrossOver: https://www.codeweavers.com/compatibility

Your software isn't listed – but that doesn't mean that it won't run.

AlChe
AlChe
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
What I've Gathered So Far Nov 4, 2015

So, basically, all mac users absolutely adore their macs, despite it being a huge pain to run any sort of software on them..

Meta Arkadia
Meta Arkadia
Local time: 17:23
English to Indonesian
+ ...
Yep Nov 4, 2015

achargois wrote:
So, basically, all mac users absolutely adore their macs, despite it being a huge pain to run any sort of software on them..

That's the right conclusion. Don't buy a Mac. It's not for everybody.

H.

Bogusław Kucharski
Bogusław Kucharski  Identity Verified
Poland
English to Polish
+ ...
;-) Nov 4, 2015

achargois wrote:

I don't know if "all", "love", "huge pain" and "any sort", but it's true I adore my Mac -- I enjoy having a personal computer, and computer which just stays the way I set it. And yes, a different system comes with a price: you have to change your habits in order to adjust to the new system, for example: slightly different shortcuts.
I have no "pain" using translation software on my Mac -- I press one button and it starts. And when it does, the program is less fussy than it was when I was working on Windows, what I find intriguing.

Personally, I am not a Mac Evangelist. I wanted a change and I changed the system. There are always some pros and cons. I use computer (for different purposes) since Atari 800 XL (mid 1980's) and this change brought *me* more advantage than inconvenience.
But Meta Arkadia is also right: Mac is not for everybody. Luckily, we have a choice

Michael Beijer
Michael Beijer  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 11:23
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
great site with info re DictUnifier, etc. Nov 4, 2015

Meta Arkadia wrote:

e-dictionaries EN-PL

Based on the information I found here, you should be able to convert those dictionaries for use in your Mac's Dictionary.app. I wrote about the process here, and on the wiki page of the Python script you'll have to use, it says that Leksykonia data (*.dct) are supported.

You can then use your dictionaries system-wide on your Mac, both opened in the Dictionary.app itself, or as a pop-up. An example of a dictionary I converted showing results as a pop-up in CafeTran:

Very recently (like the day before yesterday), I "discovered" an app that should simplify the process. I downloaded it, but it's still in my download folder as a .ZIP: DictUnifier-2.1.zip so I'm afraid I don't know if it works yet.

Cheers,

Hans

Hi Hans,

I don't know which version of DictUnifier you downloaded, but I just found this page with tons of very interesting/relevant info:

http://blog.jle.vi/post/72464439746/get-the-look-up-dictionary-feature-in-os-x-to

see e.g.:

"3. Use this patched/modified version of DictUnifier (which was found from the generous poster #9 here) to install them into your OS X dictionaries app. (If you use the standard DictUnifier, you’ll get nasty HTML Parse Errors and nothing will work. I don’t know why)"

Michael

Bogusław Kucharski
Poland
English to Polish
+ ...
Great! Nov 4, 2015

Meta Arkadia wrote:
Based on the information I found here, you should be able to convert those dictionaries for use in your Mac's Dictionary.app.

Thank you for the info! I didn't think of converting the dictionaries for Mac use but I am going to give it a go!

Meta Arkadia
Meta Arkadia
Local time: 17:23
English to Indonesian
+ ...
Version 2.1 Nov 4, 2015

Michael Beijer wrote:
I don't know which version of DictUnifier you downloaded, but I just found this page with tons of very interesting/relevant info

I just unzipped it, haven't tried it yet. So far, I used the procedure I mentioned above, with success. You can even "cheat" the Python script, and "forget" to run the "make" command. That will result in an XML file you can then convert to a format you can use in CafeTran (or another CAT tool, I suppose) as a glossary or a termbase.

The site you mentioned points at a very useful site with quite a lot of dictionaries.

For Polish: http://clasquin-johnson.co.za/michel/mac-os-x-dictionaries/east-european-languages/polish.html

The only trouble is, that I already converted all of the useful ones (for me), so no reason to try DictUnifier...

Cheers,

Hans

[Edited at 2015-11-04 10:05 GMT]

Bogusław Kucharski
Poland
English to Polish
+ ...
CrossOver Nov 4, 2015

2nl wrote:
I had a quick look at the list of supported Windows apps for CrossOver: https://www.codeweavers.com/compatibility
Your software isn't listed – but that doesn't mean that it won't run.

I have been fiddling a bit with CrossOver for different software but as I use virtualised Windows for translation work, it seems just as sensible to use it for dictionaries instead of running another app just for this purpose.
But if I do the tests, I will publish here my impressions.

Thank you for the idea!

Best,
Bogdan

2nl (X)
2nl (X)  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Hear, hear! Nov 4, 2015

I enjoy having a personal computer, and computer which just stays the way I set it.

Even when you upgrade it from Leopard to Mavericks to Yosemite to El Capitan: everything still works as supposed.

Hans
CafeTran on Mac user

[Edited at 2015-11-04 10:09 GMT]

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

PC v Mac > Macbook Air v Macbook Pro

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »