Thread poster: pato_p
pato_p
pato_p
Chile
Local time: 05:37
Spanish to English
Feb 15, 2017

Hello,

I've been working with Lionbridge for a couple of years now, using a Windows based PC. The time has come for me to upgrade my machine and I've been looking at MAC computers.

I know Lionbridge tools are not compatible with MAC, but I was wondering if anyone has had experience or tried to use TMS, Xliff Editor or LTB on a MAC computer, whether using Parallels or BootCamp.

Any input is much appreciated.

Thank you.

Ravi Shah

jublo
jublo  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 08:37
English to German
+ ...
Overview of Mac user options for TW, Xliff Editor and LTB Aug 8, 2017

pato_p wrote:

I know Lionbridge tools are not compatible with MAC, but I was wondering if anyone has had experience or tried to use TMS, Xliff Editor or LTB on a MAC computer, whether using Parallels or BootCamp.

• TMS is a web-based application, so you can open Safari and browse to https://tms.lionbridge.com/.

• The same applies to jobs in their Cloud Translation Environment (CTE), which is accessible if you receive jobs in TMS that are marked as CTE collections.

• As for the Translation Workspace Tools, they require an installed copy of Microsoft Office, so I'm not sure, however you will only need the tools for preparing raw source files or post-processing completed translation files, not for the actual translation.

• Talking about the TW Xliff Editor, it will run fine inside Wine (a Windows runtime emulator), so I would suggest that you get Kronenberg’s WineBottler and install the TW Xliff Editor’s setup file through it. The only issues you will notice are these:

1. When starting, the Xliff Editor may complain about a missing .dll. So take your Logoport.dll from the old Windows installation of the Translation Workspace tools, and drop it into XliffEditor.app/Contents/Resources/wineprefix/drive_c/Program Files/Lionbridge/Translation Workspace Xliff Editor folder.

2. Secondly, if you dislike the font – you cannot enable ClearType, so pick a different Editor font.

3. Watch out, on your Mac ctrl, alt and the left Cmd will all translate to the Ctrl key in Wine. The right Cmd key is Alt in Wine.

• The Lionbridge Toolbox (LTB) cannot be convinced to run in Wine.

• For running the Windows-only components, you have three options:

1. First you could install them in Parallels Desktop. All of the above work very fine, especially in Coherence mode with installed Parallels Tools, and can even directly open .xlz files in the Xliff Editor when you double click them in Finder.

2. The other, not as comfortable option would be to use VirtualBox. However, it's free.

3. Or you could resort to using a Remote Desktop with Windows. This will come in handy if you dont want to run a full-blown copy of Windows on your Mac – you would translate with the Wine version of Xliff Editor, and run your LTB checks with the remote LTB on the server or Windows computer.

Please note: In order to run LTB on a Windows virtual machine or on a server, you will have to install a copy of Microsoft Office on the same computer.

If you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask!

CafeTran Training (X)
CafeTran Training (X)
Netherlands
Local time: 09:37
Handy? Aug 8, 2017

After reading all these steps I wonder whether a decent XLIFF editor for Mac wouldn't be handier for the translation phase? There are several of them.

jublo
jublo  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 08:37
English to German
+ ...
Requirements for decent Xliff Editors for Mac Aug 8, 2017

CafeTran Training wrote:

After reading all these steps I wonder whether a decent XLIFF editor for Mac wouldn't be handier for the translation phase? There are several of them.

Yes, but would they grant access to the online Translation Memories and glossaries, and can they cope with XLZ files?

CafeTran Training (X)
CafeTran Training (X)
Netherlands
Local time: 09:37
Old posting Aug 8, 2017

jublonet wrote:

CafeTran Training wrote:

Yes, but would they grant access to the online Translation Memories and glossaries, and can they cope with XLZ files?

Please have a look here: http://www.proz.com/forum/cafetran_support/295858-xlz.html

Regarding: "access to the online Translation Memories and glossaries", yes, there can always be a problem with online resources.

In my experience it is like this: When the client really wants to use your services, you can work out a way to exchange these resources.

[Edited at 2017-08-08 07:33 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Experience working with Lionbridge TMS, Xliff Editor and LTB on MAC

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »