Susan O'Flaherty
Susan O'Flaherty
Ireland
Local time: 13:08
French to English
+ ...
Jun 1, 2005

Hi,

Does anyone have experience with using TRADOS on MAC. Apparently, it can be done but I have tried to use the tutorial with no success.

I would be grateful for any advice.

Thanks,

Susan

Roberta Anderson
Roberta Anderson  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 14:08
Member (2001)
English to Italian
+ ...
past threads on the same issue Jun 1, 2005

Hi Susan.

You might want to check past threads on the same issue, such as http://www.proz.com/topic/15252 and http://www.proz.com/topic/12959.

Cheers,
Roberta

Ballistic
Ballistic  Identity Verified
Belgium
English to Dutch
+ ...
Switcher Jun 1, 2005

Susan O'Flaherty wrote:

Hi,

Does anyone have experience with using TRADOS on MAC. Apparently, it can be done but I have tried to use the tutorial with no success.

I would be grateful for any advice.

Thanks,

Susan

Hello Susan,

I made the switch from windows to MacOs (Tiger) one month ago. I bought a powermac dual 2,0 ghz with 2 gb ram (I do a lot of imaging, photoshopping etc). Trados 6,5 is running under virtual pc 7 and win xp pro as is my spelling checker. I had no problems installing virtual pc and Trados. I still have one problem though: windows recognizes the dongle (I had to install the rainbow usb superpro driver) and when I ask Trados for information about the license, it gives the correct version, dongle and everything. Only, when I start translating, the application runs in demo-mode. As things have been rather busy over the past month, I didn't bother figuring out the problem and continued working on my laptop. I will now send a mail to Trados support.

All the best.

Steven

00000000 (X)
00000000 (X)
English to French
+ ...
Virtual PC Jun 1, 2005

Hi Ballistic --

How is Virtual PC 7 behaving under Tiger? I have it on my G4 with Jaguar and it's so incredibly slow that I don't ever use it.

I would love to buy a G5 dual, but I won't do so until I'm sure Virtual PC doesn't slow down the machine to the speed of an old P2 running Win95.

Best,
Esther

[Edited at 2005-06-02 05:02]

Ballistic
Ballistic  Identity Verified
Belgium
English to Dutch
+ ...
Go for it Jun 2, 2005

Esther Pfeffer wrote:

Hi Ballistic --

How is Virtual PC 7 behaving under Tiger? I have it on my G4 with Jaguar and it's so incredibly slow that I don't ever use it.

I would love to buy a G5 dual, but I won't do so until I'm sure Virtual PC doesn't slow down the machine to the speed of an old P2 running Win95.

Best,
Esther

[Edited at 2005-06-02 05:02]

Hello Esther,

VPC7 was designed specifically for the PowerMac 64-bit environment (as Adobe CS2 is). I have XP pro running under VPC with all settings set to performance (and not graphic detail). Normal word use with trados is free of lag. I am now translating a big file using tag editor and there is some slight lag there. It doesn't bother me at all, however. Spellchecker, dictionary and other apps are lagless. You must, however, allocate a hefty chunk of RAM to VPC and make sure you open VPC as the first application, since that is when it takes the required RAM. I have 2 gig of RAM and only 512 mb allocated to VPC and haven't yet felt the need to increase that. I have 2 GB of RAM for photoshop and since multitasking isn't about making translations and photoshopping at the same time (;-)), I could easily get away with another 512 mb ram for VPC.

Also, I didn't bother to install all the windows updates, firewall or virusscanner for XP, as that is generally the clutter that slows down your pc (and consequently vpc).

That said, I can't compare with previous versions of vpc or different OS's as this is my first mac.

That said, Tiger rocks and I ain't turning back to Windows.

Switching between different windows is a piece of cake. I also purchased the logitech mx-1000 mouse for enhanced functionality with trados (concordance etc). Drag and drop from mac to vpc is easy. I have a 20-inch monitor and the resolution in vpc is the same as on my mac desktop (1600x1200).

So, go for it.

Good luck

Steven

[Edited at 2005-06-02 15:36]

00000000 (X)
00000000 (X)
English to French
+ ...
Mixed Views Jun 3, 2005

Thanks Ballistic. Nevertheless, the picture is still a little too murky for me: http://www.macservers.org/modules.php?name=Amazon&asin=B0002NT16E

Best,
Esther

[Edited at 2005-06-03 04:07]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

TRADOS FOR MAC

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »