Packages disappearing: Absolutely at my wits' end
Thread poster: Stephanie Kantorski
Stephanie Kantorski
Stephanie Kantorski  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 00:38
French to English
Dec 28, 2018

I have Trados Studio 2017. I have been using SDL/Trados products since 2003 both as a PM and professional translator. I'm confidently IT- and technically-inclined.

So, I'm not a newbie at this. My system: MacBook Pro with Parallels and Trados Studio 2017 on Windows 2007.

But this has got to stop: DISAPPEARING PACKAGES/PROJECTS. I have researched this to no end.

I have ALWAYS opened the program by right-clicking and clicking on "Run as Administrator." I hav
... See more
I have Trados Studio 2017. I have been using SDL/Trados products since 2003 both as a PM and professional translator. I'm confidently IT- and technically-inclined.

So, I'm not a newbie at this. My system: MacBook Pro with Parallels and Trados Studio 2017 on Windows 2007.

But this has got to stop: DISAPPEARING PACKAGES/PROJECTS. I have researched this to no end.

I have ALWAYS opened the program by right-clicking and clicking on "Run as Administrator." I have set my preferences and properties on the PC side (and reset it multiple times) to I'M AN ADMINISTRATOR. It's MY computer, no one else uses it. EVER.

I have even tried to ask questions on an SDL forum, for which they demand I watch a video tutorial to do (there is no "ask a question" button I can find anywhere).

I am so damned sick of having to reload and re-pre-translate my projects only to find that it doesn't actually pre-translate everything and then I have to REDO my edits.

BIG QUESTION #1: Is this a PC-on-a-Mac thing?

BIG QUESTION #2: Why doesn't anything I try make this better?

BIG QUESTION #3: Why the *&^%$## hasn't SDL done anything about this? I know it's not a NEW problem and I know it's not MY problem. They know it too.

HELP, please....once and for all.
Collapse

Hans Lenting
Hans Lenting
Netherlands
Member (2006)
German to Dutch
Parallels Dec 28, 2018

Just some hints:

Does Parallels reset itself with each boot?

Where exactly do you store the packages (in the VM or in a PSF shared folder at the Mac side)?

Stephanie Kantorski
United States
French to English
TOPIC STARTER
Parallels Dec 28, 2018

Hi Hans,

Thanks for answering. Here are my answers:

- Parallels does not reset each time
- The packages are stored on the VM but I do have file sharing on. That said, I have always had that setting and this problem is only in the last year or so.

Hope that helps.

Thanks,
Steph

Stephanie Kantorski
United States
French to English
TOPIC STARTER
Additional Info Dec 28, 2018

I'll also add that there is no rhyme or reason to what is disappearing. Some do, some don't. So it's not like everything in one folder vanishes.

Hans Lenting
Hans Lenting
Netherlands
Member (2006)
German to Dutch
USB stick Dec 30, 2018

How about saving your projects on a USB stick or external drive? As a temporary workaround, of course.

Check also the setting of the Rollback Mode:

Screenshot 2018-12-30 at 10.44.27

Explanation:

Screenshot 2018-12-30 at 10.44.54

My next hint would be to check the existence and up to date state of the file where Studio saves the recent projects:

\\psf\Home\Documents\Studio 2017\Projects\projects.xml

Does it contain all your recent projects?

BTW: Do have any snapshot to a VM state where the issue didn't occur?

Stephanie Kantorski
United States
French to English
TOPIC STARTER
Checked this Jan 1, 2019

Happy New Year! And sorry for the delay in replying.

My version of Parallels does not seem to have Rollback. But I did check my Studio 2017 Projects folder and it does not contain any projects since April 2018. I remember changing a setting around that time when opening packages to save to the client's specific folder.

Perhaps that's why? I'll do a test and see if that changes anything.

Many thanks for your help!

Stephanie Kantorski
United States
French to English
TOPIC STARTER
More details Jan 1, 2019

In other words, I UNchecked the box that says "Use default Studio project location."

BUT >>> I should have been clearer in my original post. The projects are disappearing from the Projects view list in Trados, not from my computer. I know where they are because I put them there.

Some projects just go POOF! and some are still there. No reason, no specific cutoff date, no pattern that I can see. Only that it's usually my most recent few projects. And alw
... See more
In other words, I UNchecked the box that says "Use default Studio project location."

BUT >>> I should have been clearer in my original post. The projects are disappearing from the Projects view list in Trados, not from my computer. I know where they are because I put them there.

Some projects just go POOF! and some are still there. No reason, no specific cutoff date, no pattern that I can see. Only that it's usually my most recent few projects. And always the one I'm currently working on...

Hope that helps a bit more.
Thanks.

[Edited at 2019-01-01 20:09 GMT]

[Edited at 2019-01-01 20:09 GMT]
Collapse

Hans Lenting
Hans Lenting
Netherlands
Member (2006)
German to Dutch
More info Jan 2, 2019

Happy New Year!

I recognise what you are experiencing. I've had this problem twice. (Once after migrating my VM from Parallels to VMware Fusion, one time after returning to a snapshot.)

Did you see this posting?

... See more
Happy New Year!

I recognise what you are experiencing. I've had this problem twice. (Once after migrating my VM from Parallels to VMware Fusion, one time after returning to a snapshot.)

Did you see this posting?

https://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/233185-studio_11_how_to_change_location_for_projectsxml.html

BTW: The path for Studio 2017 is:

c:\Users\yourname\AppData\Roaming\SDL\SDL Trados Studio\14.0.0.0\

[Edited at 2019-01-02 08:35 GMT]
Collapse

Stephanie Kantorski
United States
French to English
TOPIC STARTER
Pathways Jan 2, 2019

Thanks Hans.

I actually found the Sdl.ProjectApi.xml file here:

C:\Users\[USER NAME]\AppData\Roaming\SDL\ProjectApi\14.0.0.0

And the pathway inside the file points to:

"\\Mac\Home\Documents\Studio 2017\Projects"

And that is the right folder, as far as I can tell.

Do you think the "Mac\Home" part is causing the problem somehow?

[Edited at 2019-01-02 18:29 GMT]

Hans Lenting
Hans Lenting
Netherlands
Member (2006)
German to Dutch
Save all Studio project files at the Windows side Jan 3, 2019

Stephanie Kantorski wrote:

And the pathway inside the file points to:

"\\Mac\Home\Documents\Studio 2017\Projects"

And that is the right folder, as far as I can tell.

Do you think the "Mac\Home" part is causing the problem somehow?

Yes, that and the changing of the path.

I'd definitely advise you to save all Studio project files at the Windows side. The syncing between the Mac and Windows side can be handled manually (e.g. via Commander One and Total commander) or automatically (via scripts or ... via Dropbox (one shared folder of Dropbox Mac and Dropbox Windows).

Good luck!

Stephanie Kantorski
United States
French to English
TOPIC STARTER
Solution Jan 3, 2019

Wonderful, thank you Hans!

I copied all the SDL folders that had been created on the Mac side (Studio 2017, etc.) and moved them to the Windows side.

Then I moved the api file to the right place and changed the pathway in that file to point to the Projects folder that is now on the Windows side.

Fingers crossed. I truly appreciate all your help.

- Steph

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Packages disappearing: Absolutely at my wits' end

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »