Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 06:37
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Aug 12, 2005

Under Windows this is CTRL+ALT+DEL.
When the Mac hangs, howeveer, this does not work. What is the corresponding shortcut for Mac?

Thank you
Kind regards
Jerzy

German Services
German Services
Local time: 23:37
English to German
+ ...
Three-finger-Salute Aug 12, 2005

Jerzy Czopik wrote:

Under Windows this is CTRL+ALT+DEL.
When the Mac hangs, howeveer, this does not work. What is the corresponding shortcut for Mac?

Thank you
Kind regards
Jerzy

Hi Jerzy,

The so-called "three-finger-salute" is described in wikipedia here: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Three-finger_salute_(computing)

I am not a Mac guy at all, there seems to be different options. Please have a look at the list. I hope it helps.

[Edited at 2005-08-12 17:03]

[Edited at 2005-08-12 17:04]

Roberta Anderson
Roberta Anderson  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2001)
English to Italian
+ ...
Command + Option + Esc Aug 12, 2005

Hi Jerzy

To force quit an application on Mac OS, you press Command + Option + Esc

To force stop a process within an application, Commad + . [period]

To force restart, Command + Ctrl + Power On button on your Mac

cheers,
Roberta

[Edited at 2005-08-12 17:15]

Jerzy Czopik
Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you very much Aug 12, 2005

Unfortunately the option Cmd + Option + Esc did not work
The frozen application was Framemaker 6.0 under OS 9.2, and this twice within a hour...

The Mac I use is a PowerMAC G4, standing under my table, so very little chance to reach the power button and press keys at the same time
I´ve chosen the "hard" restart method - switching Mac out by
... See more
Unfortunately the option Cmd + Option + Esc did not work
The frozen application was Framemaker 6.0 under OS 9.2, and this twice within a hour...

The Mac I use is a PowerMAC G4, standing under my table, so very little chance to reach the power button and press keys at the same time
I´ve chosen the "hard" restart method - switching Mac out by pressing and holding the Power button. This helped.
Usually I do not have such problems, as I work with OS X and use the Classic environment. There you can allways quit the OS 9 applications by killing the OS 9 window within OS X.

Regards
Jerzy
Collapse

Roberta Anderson
Roberta Anderson  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2001)
English to Italian
+ ...
Delete Prefs - Save As on the file - rebuild desktop Aug 12, 2005

If FM hangs on you again, try looking for its Prefs file and deleting it.

If it hangs with the same document, but works fine with others, make a Save As on that file (not just a Save - Save As, choose same name, and click OK when asked if you want to replace the existing file) - this sometimes cleans up a file, especially if it's a long file which has undergone many changes and saves (applies to all applications, not just FM)

And rebuilding the desktop might also help,
... See more
If FM hangs on you again, try looking for its Prefs file and deleting it.

If it hangs with the same document, but works fine with others, make a Save As on that file (not just a Save - Save As, choose same name, and click OK when asked if you want to replace the existing file) - this sometimes cleans up a file, especially if it's a long file which has undergone many changes and saves (applies to all applications, not just FM)

And rebuilding the desktop might also help, and will not hurt: in OS9 only systems, hold down the Command+Option keys at startup, until you get the desktop rebuild confirm d/box
In OSX, go to Apple > Preferences, click on Classic, then on Advanced and finally on Rebuild desktop

Hope this helps,
Roberta
Collapse

tlmurray (X)
tlmurray (X)
Local time: 00:37
English
I would test RAM Aug 13, 2005

If the entire operating system in general is freezing, I would take a close look at RAM. I found a bad chip (non-Apple brand) by using the Apple Hardware Test -- TechTools did not discover it.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Keyboard shortcut for warm start

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »