Thread poster: TTilch
TTilch
TTilch  Identity Verified
Local time: 23:35
English to German
+ ...
Aug 13, 2005

Hi,

I am considering (also) buying a Mac. I've already read a lot about Virtual PC working together with Wordfast and Trados and am wondering whether it's neccessary/better to use a MS Office version for Mac or whether it's also ok to use a MS Office version for Windows under Virtual PC. Could you please advise me, since I have no experience yet with Macs?

Thank you.

Tanja

tlmurray (X)
tlmurray (X)
Local time: 18:35
English
Mac Office and Win Office Aug 13, 2005

I Virtual PC on a Mac PowerBook quite a bit (but not Wordfast and Trados). I like the the Mac products much better execpt for one thing: I have to use the mouse a lot in Mac. I prefer the keyboard.

Be aware that non-fixed line spacing is a bit different (and for the life of me I can't recall which one is tighter/looser) between Mac and Win Word, so don't bet that page breaks will be the same.

Rodolfo Raya
Rodolfo Raya  Identity Verified
Local time: 19:35
English to Spanish
Use MS Office for Windows Aug 13, 2005

I am considering (also) buying a Mac. I've already read a lot about Virtual PC working together with Wordfast and Trados and am wondering whether it's neccessary/better to use a MS Office version for Mac or whether it's also ok to use a MS Office version for Windows under Virtual PC. Could you please advise me, since I have no experience yet with Macs?

Hi Tanja,

Sometimes Office for Windows has problems reading documents created/manipulated with MS Office for Mac. If you are going to use Virtual PC, use MS Office for Windows too.

You should also consider using CAT tools desiged for Mac. Native applications run faster.

Virtual PC is just an emulator and Windows software can't run at the speed of your Mac because a lot of time is wasted emulating a different environment.

And if you are going to be emulating a PC, what will be you your advantage? Buy a PC and use Windows or use native Mac applications.

Regards,
Rodolfo

Fernando Toledo
Fernando Toledo  Identity Verified
Spain
German to Spanish
I think so too Aug 14, 2005

Rodolfo Raya wrote:

And if you are going to be emulating a PC, what will be you your advantage? Buy a PC and use Windows or use native Mac applications.

Regards,
Rodolfo

For the money yo must spend for extra software I'd buy a extra speedy PC, if the problem is space, a nice barebone will do it.

Regards

TTilch
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I'm trying to find a (further) practical use for the Mac... Aug 14, 2005

Hi all,

And if you are going to be emulating a PC, what will be you your advantage?

That's just the question I'm trying to solve.

Buy a PC and use Windows or use native Mac applications.

As a matter of fact, I'm going to need a Mac for one specific client and his projects, and not buying one would mean not to be able to work on these projects. The Mac is a must for these projects and the work cannot be done with Windows.
As the investment (i.e. acquiring a Mac) should make some sense, though, I am currently trying to figure out for what (else) I could use a Mac. So far I gained the impression that it's fine as a home computer, but that there aren't many things for which I could use it in an office. I was thinking that it would perhaps be possible to use a CAT tool on it, but apparently there isn't even one which also runs on a Mac without Virtual PC (or is there?). The closest (and cheapest) solution I found so far consists in using Wordfast together with MS Word (for Mac). If it's very slow, though, that isn't really an option either...

Any ideas/suggestions?

Best regards,

Tanja

[Edited at 2005-08-14 19:38]

Rodolfo Raya
Rodolfo Raya  Identity Verified
Local time: 19:35
English to Spanish
There are CAT tools that run on Mac Aug 14, 2005

TTilch wrote:
I was thinking that it would perhaps be possible to use a CAT tool on it, but apparently there isn't even one which also runs on a Mac without Virtual PC (or is there?).

Hi Tanja,

You can use Heartsome Translation Suite on Mac OSX 10.3 and 10.4 ( http://www.heartsome.net ). The suite supports translating tagged RTF (Trados) and TTX files (Tag Editor), so you even have compatibility with Windows CAT tools. You have a list of supported file formats here: http://wiki.heartsome.org/hswiki/Frequently_Asked_Questions#formats

With a lot less features, you can still run OmegaT on Mac.

I never tried, but it should also be possible to use Open Language XLIFF Editor on Mac and translate OpenOffice and HTML files with it.

Regards,
Rodolfo

[Edited at 2005-08-14 21:56]

TTilch
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Heartsome Translation Suite Aug 16, 2005

Hi Rodolfo,

You can use Heartsome Translation Suite on Mac OSX 10.3 and 10.4 ( http://www.heartsome.net ).

Thank you very much for this information, I will check this out.

Best regards,

Tanja

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Virtual PC 7 and MS Office

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »