Thread poster: Kaori Myatt
Kaori Myatt
Kaori Myatt  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 06:17
English to Japanese
+ ...
Aug 31, 2005

I recently bought a Mac computer. I tried to use Trados and I could not even install it. It did not have "Word" so I had to buy one.

My friend really thinks that Mac is not for "Proffessional Translation"...but I would like to make the most of my new Mac!

Is anyone using Mac for translation? What is the best way to use Mac for translation? DTP? What is the advantage of having Mac???

... See more
I recently bought a Mac computer. I tried to use Trados and I could not even install it. It did not have "Word" so I had to buy one.

My friend really thinks that Mac is not for "Proffessional Translation"...but I would like to make the most of my new Mac!

Is anyone using Mac for translation? What is the best way to use Mac for translation? DTP? What is the advantage of having Mac???

I would like to have any opinion related to Mac and Translation.

Thanks in advance.
Collapse

Jorge Payan
Jorge Payan  Identity Verified
Colombia
Local time: 23:17
Member (2002)
German to Spanish
+ ...
TRADOS does not work on MAC OS! Sep 1, 2005

It is not common for a new PC (either Windows or MAC) to have Word pre-installed.

MAC does work for translation, but it really needs a TM tool more versatile than TRADOS; I suggest WordFast (www.wordfast.net)

I personally consider that MACs are best suited for DTP than for translation.

Have a nice day

Kaori Myatt wrote:

Thanks in advance.

[Edited at 2005-09-01 00:38]

Marc P (X)
Marc P (X)  Identity Verified
German to English
+ ...
Is Mac computer useful for translation? Sep 1, 2005

This is really a question for the Mac forum (Technical forums/Computing/Apple/Mac). Perhaps Angela can move the thread?

Besides Wordfast, you might also consider OmegaT, which also runs on Macs.

Mac

Katarzyna Proctor, Dr. (X)
Katarzyna Proctor, Dr. (X)
United States
Local time: 21:17
Chinese to Polish
+ ...
apple Sep 1, 2005

I used to have PC, but since I switched into Mac... well it's a big difference! I prefer Mac and I will never get back to PC.
If you want to install any programes, which work only on PC (as TRADOS), all you have to do is to install Virtual PC on your Mac.
It means that you have an access to any programes.

It's a myth that Mac is more difficult, than PC. In fact it's more comfortable.

best wishes,

Kasia.

FullCircle (X)
FullCircle (X)
Netherlands
English to Dutch
Its perfectly OK Sep 1, 2005

I just did not want to buy a PC, because I loath MS and I'm to lazy to learn about Linux (besides not being able to understand in the end as well), so Apple was the best alternative. And I'm very happy with it. I downloaded WF and so far have been able to do all my jobs that way.

The only problem is that I had to resort to Office for Mac in the end, because there's too many people that do not know how to deal with files made in Works. They are Word-compatible, but with some Word-ve
... See more
I just did not want to buy a PC, because I loath MS and I'm to lazy to learn about Linux (besides not being able to understand in the end as well), so Apple was the best alternative. And I'm very happy with it. I downloaded WF and so far have been able to do all my jobs that way.

The only problem is that I had to resort to Office for Mac in the end, because there's too many people that do not know how to deal with files made in Works. They are Word-compatible, but with some Word-versions you have to save the file before you can open it in Word. And they simply don't know.

The only problem is that I could not find a decent accounting programme in Dutch and in general, there are much less programmes developed for the Mac. Which is a pity, because that would be a perfect chance to break the hegemony of MS.

Marion
Collapse

Kaori Myatt
France
English to Japanese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks! Sep 1, 2005

I am sorry if this topic is not suitable under this category... please move it if it is necessary.

Well, I know there are virtual PC but I am hesitating to employ it because this might slow my computer down...Do you have any difficulty using virtual PC? Dose Trados run like on actual PC????

I like Mac. It is easy to use, quiet and the screen is very wide...but I still using my old PC for my work...May be I should try virtual PC.

Kaori Myatt
France
English to Japanese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Dear Marion Sep 1, 2005

>>I downloaded WF and so far have been able to do all my jobs that way.

How can you convert tmw to tmx or tmx to tmw?? I tried to use Wordfast but it was not so easy to convert or import TM files.

I agree to your opinion of Mac accounting programs.

Rodolfo Raya
Rodolfo Raya  Identity Verified
Local time: 01:17
English to Spanish
Heartsome Translation Suite Sep 1, 2005

Kaori Myatt wrote:

Hi,

As the title suggests, you can use Heartsome Translation Suite on Mac. See http://www.heartsome.net/EN/hsts.html

The Suite is based on modern standards, like XLIFF, TMX and TBX. It supports most common document formats and lets you work with Trados files (TTX and Tagged RTF).

You can find useful information for Mac users in Heartsome's wiki, at http://www.heartsome.org

Request a demo at http://www.heartsome.net/EN/downloads.html and judge yourself.

Regards,
Rodolfo

globalglasgow
globalglasgow  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 05:17
English to Portuguese
I would advise against Macs Sep 1, 2005

Well, you can do pretty much anything in Mac that you would be able to do in a PC, as long as you know what you are doing and have the software for it.

Still, over the past years I have had MULTIPLE problems due to translators who were Mac users and seemed to think it was perfectly normal to send someone a translation in some random format rather than in a 'standard' format, compatible with MS Office. Also, be aware that when converting files into Rtf or from works into Word, there
... See more
Well, you can do pretty much anything in Mac that you would be able to do in a PC, as long as you know what you are doing and have the software for it.

Still, over the past years I have had MULTIPLE problems due to translators who were Mac users and seemed to think it was perfectly normal to send someone a translation in some random format rather than in a 'standard' format, compatible with MS Office. Also, be aware that when converting files into Rtf or from works into Word, there is often loss in layout structure, which can be extremely irritating.

Then you have all the other issues, such as you should make sure you always use generic fonts, do not use any fancy fonts (actually this one goes for PC users as well). If working with images, be aware that Mac image formats/file types are different from PC image types.

There is no denying though that Macs are simply the best for DTP, though these days the gap is really not that big, and they are far more reliable and user friendly than PCs!
Collapse

Ken Cox
Ken Cox  Identity Verified
German to English
+ ...
MacFan & MacFan accounting program Sep 1, 2005

If you read Dutch and you like Macs, you certainly should have a look at MacFan magazine. They have also developed a freeware accounting program for the Mac (the program is freeware, but it uses FileMaker, which you'll have to buy). I must admit I haven't tried the program, but MacFan is a quality magazine (and a treat to read) and I would expect the program to be a good product.

www.macfan.nl

Jerzy Czopik
Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
The most has allready been said Sep 1, 2005

But:

globalglasgow wrote:
There is no denying though that Macs are simply the best for DTP, though these days the gap is really not that big, and they are far more reliable and user friendly than PCs!

The gap between Mac and PC is very little indeed.
And all you post here, a Mac would be faster, better, more reliable and user friendly than a PC, are simple sayings, nothing more. I have both Mac and PC - there is no difference in user friendliness, nor in reliability. Mac is very good for special purposes, but for daily working in Europe you will need PC. Only if you deal with languages, using only the basic ASCI character set you will encounter no problems, as far the software is compatible on both platfors. When you start using enhanced character sets, as for example the polish language needs, you will run into big problems. Starting to deal with heavili graphics loaded files and changing platfors with them may end in a big deasaster and your work done will be completly useless for your customer.

If you find Mac more sufficient for your needs, so buy one and use it. But clarify with your customers, if they are able to process your Mac generated files. If the answer is yes, then am Mac is a good tool for professional translator too. But the answer of most European customers will be "no"...

This is the same, as if you would ask, if a car with right hand steering is suitable for the Continental Europe. Of course you can use it here, but you are swimming against the stream...

Regards
Jerzy

Heinrich Pesch
Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 07:17
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
Microsoft has done a great job Sep 2, 2005

By standardising the work on computers MS has made life easier for all of us. I used Macs 8 years at my former job (image analysis), and I was fiercely opposing the use of IBM-pcs. But what a nightmare our business were, if MS-Office had not become the defacto standard for text documents.
One customer with a Mac could not use my Word-documents, because all äs and ös were scrambled. Finally she could save the text from screen after I published it on the net.
The problem is, that mo
... See more
By standardising the work on computers MS has made life easier for all of us. I used Macs 8 years at my former job (image analysis), and I was fiercely opposing the use of IBM-pcs. But what a nightmare our business were, if MS-Office had not become the defacto standard for text documents.
One customer with a Mac could not use my Word-documents, because all äs and ös were scrambled. Finally she could save the text from screen after I published it on the net.
The problem is, that most Mac-users know nothing about technical things and cannot overcome the hurdles presented by the Mac-system.
Perhaps the world would be easier still, if all would use Macs instead of IBM-PCs, but this is not going to happen.
It's on long lived legend that PCs are more difficult to use than Macs. My Win2000 systems runs day and night without crashing, and installation of new programs or adding hardware is easy.
Collapse

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Try Wordfast and OmegaT Sep 2, 2005

Kaori Myatt wrote:

IBM computers (even those sold with Windows pre-installed) generally does not contain MS Word either -- you have to buy it seperately.

Your new Mac probably has Java on it (Windows users must download it and install it manually), so you can try OmegaT. OmegaT can't parse MS Word, though, and you'll have to use OpenOffice (or some Mac variant of it).

If you buy MS Word for OSX, you can give Wordfast a try.

Post removed: This post was hidden by a moderator or staff member because it was not in line with site rule
Post removed: This post was hidden by a moderator or staff member because it was not in line with site rule

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Is Mac computer useful for translation?

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »